Start by marking “Inside 9-11: What Really Happened” as Want to Read:
Inside 9-11: What Really Happened

Inside 9-11: What Really Happened

Some of the finest writing and reporting on the events of September 11 was done by Der Spiegel, Germany's magazine of record. With its main office in Hamburg, base of operations for terrorist ringleader Mohamed Atta and many of the others, Der Spiegel's journalists were on the front lines of the earliest investigation into the identities of those who, on a cloudless summer ...more
Published September 16th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Inside 9-11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside 9-11

Paul Bryant
Aug 21, 2012 Paul Bryant rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
In 1981 Laurie Anderson was an avant garde New York artist doing strange performances which included keyboards and half-spoken/chanted lyrics. Exactly 20 years before 9/11 she came up with a piece called O Superman. It's impossible to hear this and not think it's a weird prediction of that day. I don't understand it - neither does she. (My friend Nick asked her). The situation she paints in this 8-minute piece is chilling - there's an answering machine, and a couple of messages are coming in. On ...more
Janet
Sep 10, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it
Observing the Anniversary of 9-11 this week, my husband and I viewed a documentary about the day that changed America forever and I re-read a book (another thrift store find) by the reporting team at Der Spiegel Magazine, “Inside 9-11 What Really Happened.” The book includes a timeline of events leading up to the terror of 9-11 connecting us with real people who, on a day that started out like any day, lived or died as a great evil overshadowed America. Also included are insights into the mindse ...more
David Aurigemma
Jun 15, 2014 David Aurigemma rated it really liked it
A little disjointed in narrative approach, but a fine factual telling of events without political posturing from any angle.
Sarah Bradbury
Dec 02, 2016 Sarah Bradbury rated it it was ok
Listed as "a heartbreaking and gripping reconstruction of the events that changed us all".. not really what I thought of it.. There is some insight into the lives of some of the people who lived (and sadly died) in both the north and south towers, but it's almost as if the writer wanted to get onto other stuff, as these parts or hurried and bring no emotion to the horrendous ordeal those people went through.. There is too much coverage on the terrorists that carried out the acts for my liking (i ...more
Haley P.
Jan 12, 2012 Haley P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Significant days in world history are like turning points of fate; people remember them for years and even decades later, telling each other over and over again where they were, and what they were doing and thinking at a specific moment in time." -Cordt Schnibben (Foreword from "Inside 9-11 What Really Happened) This book is a collection of first and second-hand accounts, factual information, and details about what really happened on 9-11. It takes you inside the lives of the terrorists before ...more
Tony Frobisher
Sep 26, 2016 Tony Frobisher rated it it was amazing
Moving, comprehensive and impressive account of the events leading up to, on and immediately following 9-11. A brilliant insight into the minds of the perpetrators and how the attack was planned and carried out.
Kate
Jun 16, 2011 Kate added it
This book is about what happened on the actual day of September 11 2001. This is a very sad book because the people who witnessed it were telling their part of the story and what happened in their eyes. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in the World Trade Center attacks. This book opened my eyes about what specifically happened and how it happened and especially when it happened.

When I read the first chapter I was almost in tears because the emotion and experiences that re
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2008 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: 9-11, disappointing
Too many contradictions, like cell phone calls made from the planes...or those that were supposedly made from seatback phones, uh-oh that model plane didn't have phones.

The whole fiasco of the "Commission" that "investigated" the event...well, that is just a sad tale. I don't know WHAT happened, but I do know that we have not gotten the whole story. I had hoped this book would help...it did NOT.
Georgia
Jul 13, 2015 Georgia rated it really liked it
Shelves: global-events
Physically, I'm not blind but mentally I can't see the facts! What were actually happened on 9-11? Why the World Trade Center Towers was under attacked and why is my distant father land was on fire? I believe the book can provide me with some answers!

The book brought out my tears. What have I seen are the questions which of the human dimension that we are looking at? The mindset of terrorists or the mindset of American government or Americans before the attack by the terrorists?
Stacy Simpson
Aug 02, 2016 Stacy Simpson rated it did not like it
I didn't really learn anything more then I already knew. I guess if u care how the killers lived up till that day then it might be of interest for a read.

Unfortunately killing in the name of God is wrong and unlike god no matter what your religion. Hatred for these people is well deserved. My heart goes out to all the innocent lives forever damaged by this.
Steve Parcell
Aug 13, 2015 Steve Parcell rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-history
A very different take on the events of 9/11 as described by the German publication Der Spiegel.

You find out more about the terrorists and how their family supposedly knew nothing about it. I have my doubts to be honest.

A lot more "human" stories and really interesting snippets on what some of the survivors are doing now.

Definitely worth a read.
Scott L.
Not a bad book - but nothing new here. I didn't learn anything that I didn't already know about the attacks of September 11, 2001. This would probably be a good history read for someone who either knew very little or nothing about those attacks. The book is well-wriiten with only some minor inaccuracies that have surfaced over the years.
Van Miller
Van Miller rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Tracyene
Tracyene rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
mr d a clay
mr d a clay rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Mrs A McCall
Mrs A McCall rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Hayley
Hayley rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2010
Karen Appleyard
Karen Appleyard rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Ginny
Ginny rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Jason Alkire
Jason Alkire rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Angela Christman
Angela Christman rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Vince Fontaine
Vince Fontaine rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2016
René Hirsch
René Hirsch rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
Keith
Keith rated it it was ok
May 02, 2008
Kelly
Kelly rated it did not like it
Nov 27, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2007