Start by marking “Seandainya Mereka Bisa Bicara” as Want to Read:
Seandainya Mereka Bisa Bicara

Seandainya Mereka Bisa Bicara

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,763 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Edisi Indonesia If Only They Could Talk, bercerita tentang pengalaman dokter hewan yang baru lulus di pedesaan Inggris (Darrowby, Yorkshire).
Published 1978 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1970)

Pramod Nair
James Alfred Wight, the British veterinary surgeon and writer, is renowned for his semi-autobiographical works written under the name 'James Herriot', which chronicle some of the most amusing moments from his life as a veterinarian. His reminiscences as a surgeon are pleasantly mild and warm to read and his style of narration that describe his adventures with the animals and their owners is of the most hilarious form that can make even the most serious of the reader burst out in a laugh. Apart f ...more
This book made me cry. I had a hard time catching my breath. It was so damn funny. It was also poignant. I love the time period - 1930s - and the locale - York. This took me forever to read. It's basically vignettes so I'd read one story and set the book down for a week. But I prefer to think of it as savoring. It was so good, and extremely well written. The humor sprung up naturally from the situations and never seemed forced. I really can't recommend this enough. I know, I know, I'm late to th ...more
Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love animals. What many may not know is how author James Herriot's books inspired me to be a veterinarian. As a child, the answer to "What do you want to be when you grow up" was always "a vet."

While that childhood dream did not come true, I have never lost the fondness for Herriot's work. So, when this book turned up on our office swap shelf, I nabbed it.

"If Only They Could Talk" is a UK-issued book consisting of selected stories from All Creatures Great An
Ini betul-betul salah satu buku yang mempengaruhi hidupku :). Alf Wight, seorang dokter hewan dari Yorkshire, menovelisasi hidupnya dan menggunakan nama samaran James Herriot.

James Herriot adalah anak muda yang pemalu tapi kreatif dan bersemangat tinggi. Lulus sebagai dokter hewan di Skotlandia, ia memperoleh tempat kerja di sebuah kota kecil bernama Darrowby di daerah Yorkshire di Inggris. Atasannya seorang dokter hewan Siegfried Farnon, yang cerdas namun eksentrik dan pelupa, dan hidupnya seri
So where do I start?

James Herriot, or in truth, James Alfred Wright, is a master storyteller, whose ability to paint scenes and emotions with only his words is truly astounding. How anyone can write so elegantly, and truthfully, is a rare and astonishing thing. His memoirs should truly be cherished, this first book setting an excellent scene for many humorous and poignant works.

However, when asked what i was reading by the many people who always strive for conversation when you are quite content
This had me guffawing with laughter in places. Such a warm and cosy read too - in spite of the often harsh life being described (it was freezing up on the Yorkshire moors in winter).

What an endearing bunch of characters. It was a bedtime read, and I realised that every night I was looking forward to going to bed, just so I could read some more....

Eileen Monroe
I loved James Herriott's books when I was a kid... he was one of the reasons I always wanted to be a vet...
Theta Sigma
"If Only They Could Talk" is the first of the "All Creatures Great And Small" series of books written by James Herriot (aka Alf Wight).

After visiting Thirsk, the town upon which the fictional town of Darrowby is based, and Askrigg, the town which featured as the television version of Darrowby, I decided to blow the dust off my boxset of Herriot books.

"If Only They Could Talk" charts Herriot's first year in practice as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales working for Siegfried Farnon and is very much as
Sebagai pecinta hewan, menurut saya buku ini bagusss banget dan saya merasa wajib memberi 5 bintang yang berarti'Luar Biasaa.' James Herriot selain dokter hewan handal juga adalah seorang pencerita ulung. Caranya menuturkan cerita sangat mengalir. Saya suka bagaimana beliau 'memberi' karakter untuk tokoh-tokohnya, yaitu Farnon bersaudara, sang penjaga rumah, tukang kebun, sekretaris, para peternak, para pemilik pasiennya, bahkan untuk para binatang-binatang itu sendiri. Deskripsinya mengenai des ...more
Serius, saya gak heran sama sekali kenapa si Ikal bisa segitu terpananya sama Edensor (tapi kok saya gak merasa baca kata Edensor ya dibuku ini. Atau gara2 udah lupa mungkin). Ngomong2 ini reviewnya:

Ini mainstream banget, tapi saya gak punya pilihan lain selain ngomong "Jadi buku ini bercerita tentang James Herriot, dokter hewan yang lagi praktek di desa kecil di Inggris. Tentang pengalamannya." Tapi saya mencoba bikin review yang semoga bisa deskripsiin sisi
What a wonderful trip down memory lane this book was. I remember watching the TV series back in the 70's and 80's and picking this book up for the first time was like settling down by the fire with old friends.

Set in the Yorkshire Dales, this is the first book in a series by rookie vet James Herriot and his new life in the countryside and among the animals and his struggle to win over the old Yorkshire farmers and eccentric characters he meets there. There were so many times when I literally la
Now this was a thoroughly enjoyable little book. It was quickly read - in less than a day - but every vanilla-scented, yellowed paperback page was a sheer delight to turn. It now seems odd that it would have taken me this long to acquaint myself with James Herriot (nom de plume), but perhaps this was just the right time in life to take up the acquaintance after all. Having driven up and down the same precarious roads that he lurches along, looked up at the same balding fells and travelled parall ...more
Jan 14, 2008 YorkshireSue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers,readers wanting laughter (& tears) from a book
Shelves: all-time-faves
Loved all the James Herriot books. My parents began to read them when I was maybe 10 or so and they would laugh out loud but I was far too cool to read what my parents did until one day I had a miserable toothache/earache and to take my mind off it I began to read one of this series of books. I too ended up laughing and simply being transported away to a different time, yet with places that seemed comfortingly familiar. (I'm from Yorkshire originally and was living there at this time.) I wrote m ...more
Gareth Evans
I first read this book in my early teens around the time of the great Herriot boom; a very popular TV series, 3 feature films and parts of North Yorkshire branding themselves as 'Herriot Country'. I had fond memories of the books and the TV series and, in rereading one of the books, was worried that I would view it as sentimental and facile. However, the Herriot industry was started because the books are well written and not overly sentimental. Herriot is a clever writer, clear and direct and ca ...more
I remember reading these a long time ago, back when there was a TV series loosely based on the books and I was still keen to be a vet. This book tells the tale of the young James, just of college and desperate for a job, meeting Siegfried for the first time and slowly coming to terms with the characters around him - human and animal. There are lots of touching, funny, sad and outright hilarious moments; some that any animal owner will recognise and sympathise with. Times may have changed a lot, ...more
James Herriot's books are some of my favourite comfort reads, and it occurred to me I hadn't read them in several years, so here I am, back in late 1930's Yorkshire.

If you're never encountered James Herriot, he was a vet who got his first job in the Yorkshire Dales and never left. He fell in love with the countryside, the people, the animals and his life there, and that love really shows in his books. Starting his career at a point where the tractor was quickly taking over from horses, and huge
Nov 28, 2008 Miranda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Recommended to Miranda by: English Teacher
Shelves: animal
I had to read one of James Herriot's books for a book report. I ended up devouring every single one of his books in a matter of 2-3 days when I was 17. My English teacher was very impressed.
Abi Ghifari
Saya mengenal novel 'If Only They Could Talk' untuk pertama kalinya justru dari novel-novel karya Andrea Hirata yang terangkum dalam tetralogi Laskar Pelangi. Novel yang ditulis oleh James Herriot ini mengisahkan tentang pengalaman dan petualangan dirinya setelah lulus dari sekolah kedokteran hewan dan kemudian bekerja sebagai asisten praktek di desa kecil Darrowby.

Pengalaman demi pengalaman menarik dialami Herriot di tahun pertamanya menjadi asisten seorang dokter hewan dengan reputasi yang bai
Loved animals all my life. Read it as a child. Got it from my mom. For every generation...
David Douglas
Brilliant, read this as a teenager years ago. Just as good second time round.
Tezar Yulianto
ceritanya unik. ada sedih, lucu, tapi sebagian besar mengesankan. ^^
Very different from my usual reads, this book gave me a real feel for the day to day activities of a life so unlike my own. In a laid back, positive style and with a subtle kind of humor that creeps up slowly, James Herriot takes us through his first year of apprenticeship as a Veterinarian in Yorkshire, in which he has to learn to handle both the animals and their diverse, eccentric owners.

A routine part of the job, Herriot frequently finds himself shoulder deep inside the rectum of some animal
May 16, 2011 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
What a book! I read a battered 1973 edition, and its well-loved condition should have indicated just how great it was going to be, but it took me a while before I first picked it up.

Hilarity ensues from page one, with Herriot (first person narrator) and a cow in labour (I shall say no more). It is hard to believe that the book is based on the writer's real life experiences of a nineteen thirties vetinary practice in the Yorkshire Dales. Indeed, most of the characters are so well described they t
Jules Jones
First of the memoir/novels by James Herriot about life in a rural veterinary practice, abridged to 3 CD length. It's read by Christopher Timothy, who played Herriot in the 1970s/80s tv adaptation All Creatures Great and Small, and it's read very well.[return][return]This book covers the period from Herriot's arrival at the practice for a job interview to the end of his first year there. It was a time when modern drugs were just starting to come into use -- before antibiotics, but with some other ...more
Jul 18, 2013 Charlotte rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers
Recommended to Charlotte by: Found series in Book People
I really enjoyed this book. I've always wanted to be a vet so reading these books is really lovely and the more I read the more desperate I am to be a vet. The stories and characters are great and I would definitely recommend these books to animal lovers. You'll definitely want to move to the countryside by the end of it!
Only thing I would add is, make sure you read them in the right order! I got all eight books in a box set, so assumed they would be arranged in the order to be read...they weren
Charles Harrison
I wanted something easy to read and cheerful. This book delivered. The self contained stories are either amusing, heartwarming, hilarious or unbelievably tragic. Thankfully only one fell into the last category. Easy and quick to read who doesn't like stories about vets and animals? Not going to change your world (unless you are about 12 and are thinking about being a vet) but good fun.
Asma' Abdul muhaimin
This was the spark I needed to rekindle my interest in reading. Who would have thought the life of a vet would be filled with so much adventure. And Tristan, the poor soul, really adds life to the stories. I laughed til my sides ached. For someone who grew up with Enid Blyton's farm stories, this was a good extension.
I loved listening to this as an audio book on the way to work. It really made the journey enjoyable for a change. It was entertaining, funny and really easy to follow. A perfect story to listen to - mind you it was more anecdotes than a plot but who cares! It was fantastic. The Yorkshire dales came to life.
The adventures of brand new veterinarian, James Herriot, will keep you turning pages as he wrestles with animals of all sizes and interacts with the eccentric personalities around him.

Warning if you are reading to to young children: There is a lot of smoking & alcohol consumption as well as a variety of crude words and swear words.
Please Note: This is not the actual book I read: the one I have, I can't seem to find by seraching, but it is one volume of several of Herriot's books.

I have read this book (these books - there are six in one volume) a number of times and I enjoy it even more with each read. I remember favourite chapters, and discover new details I had previously missed. It is so wonderful to read them all in one volume, as each title is really a continuation of the previous book.
I love how If Only They Could T
Seandainya mereka bisa bicara 1 31 Nov 05, 2008 07:50PM
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • Beasts In My Belfry
  • The Spotted Sphinx
  • Endal: How One Extraordinary Dog Brought a Family Back from the Brink
  • Diana's Story
  • Head Over Heels in the Dales
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • Gladstone: A Biography
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

“My mind went back to that picture in the obstetrics book. A cow standing in the middle of a gleaming floor while a sleek veterinary surgeon in a spotless parturition overall inserted his arm to a polite distance. He was relaxed and smiling, the farmer and his helpers were smiling, even the cow was smiling. There was no dirt or blood or sweat anywhere.
That man in the picture had just finished an excellent lunch and had moved next door to do a bit of calving just for the sheer pleasure of it, as a kind of dessert. He hadn't crawled shivering from his bed at two o'clock in the morning and bumped over twelve miles of frozen snow, staring sleepily ahead till the lonely farm showed in the headlights. He hadn't climbed half a mile of white fell-side to the doorless barn where his patient lay.”