Start by marking “Stefan Zweig: Drei Leben Eine Biographie” as Want to Read:
Stefan Zweig: Drei Leben   Eine Biographie

Stefan Zweig: Drei Leben Eine Biographie

»Meine drei Leben«, so lautete Stefan Zweigs Arbeitstitel für sein großes Buch »Die Welt von Gestern«. Die Lehr- und Wanderjahre bis zum Ende des Ersten Weltkrieges, die Erfolgsjahre des »Schriftstellerbetriebes« Stefan Zweig in Salzburg, schließlich die Exiljahre in Großbritannien, den USA und Brasilien – sie bilden die drei großen Blöcke in Stefan Zweigs Biographie.
Olive
Published 2008 by Fischer, S (first published October 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stefan Zweig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stefan Zweig

Kalliope

Reading this biography after finishing Zweig’s own memoirs, The World of Yesterday, I have the impression I am sitting both at the other side of the window through which we looked at the World of Yesterday--for finally I am staring at the man who signed his memoirs--, but also that I am watching a second run of the parade of the foregone age--although this time it is the editor’s edition.

Matuschek refers to Zweig’s memoirs often but he complements them with copious additional documentation, most
Teresa
Aug 20, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A serviceable biography, it helped to fill in the gaps I wondered about after my reading of Zweig's The World of Yesterday. On a frivolous note, it also gave me another facet of how the main character in the movie The Grand Budapest Hotel could be based on Zweig.

Unlike with a biography written by Zweig (see Marie Antoinette: The Portrait of an Average Woman), there is no psychoanalyzing here and Matuschek's sources are clearly laid out. The research that went into this seems impeccable and I app
Elena
May 25, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stefan Zweig was one of the most popular and widely read and widely translated authors of the twentieth century, appreciated by the broad reading public as well as by the intellectual elite. He was friends with nearly all the great writers of the age: Rilke, Thomas Mann, Hesse. If he was brilliant, Zweig was his friend. All this fame didn't save him from the terrors of the 20th century. After the Nazis burned his books and forced him to leave his beloved Austria and go into exile, he eventually ...more
M. Sarki
Apr 17, 2013 M. Sarki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I enjoyed reading this very much and feel I have a better understanding of Stefan Zweig, I do not feel a review of this book imminent or necessary. It would be my suggestion to continue to read everything by and about this interesting writer and person. Ultimately it is a sad tale mostly due to the environment Zweig found himself in. There was no place left to go to escape the ravages of the second world war and in his mind he would never be able to ever go back home.
Malcolm Yarnell
Apr 14, 2014 Malcolm Yarnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matuschek has given us a short but authoritative critical biography of one of the 20th century's most intriguing authors. A must read for anyone interested in Stefan Zweig and a fine addition to the revival of all things Zweig.
Hermien
Aug 04, 2016 Hermien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this biography and am planning to read some of Zweig's books which seem a lot more interesting than I previously thought.
Rob
Aug 13, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently Zweig originally wanted to give his memoir The World of Yesterday the title My Three Lives, a structure which Matuschek runs with in shaping this appealing but not wildly revealing biography. The first life is that he lives in Vienna as a child of privilege and enthusiastic man on the literary scene. The second is lived in Salzburg, following his return from Switzerland in the First World War, as he becomes a famous and successful author. The third, only a few years long, is his exile ...more
Annette
Annette rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Lana
Lana rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
J
J rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2017
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Raúl Sánchez
Raúl Sánchez rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Nadine
Nadine rated it liked it
May 06, 2011
Luis
Luis rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Perrin
Perrin rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Ninotchka
Ninotchka rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Klarkash-Ton
Klarkash-Ton rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2015
Sunshine
Sunshine rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Demet
Demet rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2017
Eiken Gjoroveni
Eiken Gjoroveni rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
michelle
michelle rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Helen Epstein
Helen Epstein rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Fred Friedman
Fred Friedman rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Arturo Herrero
Arturo Herrero rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Keith
Keith rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Reitler Larsson Hana
Reitler Larsson Hana rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Jerry Elmer
Jerry Elmer rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015