Start by marking “Princess Penelope's Parrot” as Want to Read:
Princess Penelope's Parrot

Princess Penelope's Parrot

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Spoiled Princess Penelope cannot get her new parrot to talk, even after threatening it and calling it nasty names. But when Prince Percival comes courting, the parrot gets revenge on the greedy princess in a hilarious and fitting conclusion.
Published April 23rd 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Penelope's Parrot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Penelope's Parrot

Tacky the Penguin by Helen LesterThe Wizard, the Fairy, and the Magic Chicken by Helen LesterIt Wasn't My Fault by Helen LesterA Porcupine Named Fluffy by Helen LesterPookins Gets Her Way by Helen Lester
Best of Helen Lester
9th out of 42 books — 1 voter
Short and Tall by Ellie B. MorrisDippy and the Crocuses by Ellie B. MorrisEdith and Little Bear Lend a Hand by Dare WrightThe Lonely Doll Learns a Lesson by Dare WrightThe Doll and the Kitten by Dare Wright
Really Underrated Children's Books
113th out of 854 books — 223 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandie
Oct 01, 2014 Sandie rated it it was amazing
My daughter (5) and I both loved this book. It shows kids a very bratty princess and how she gets what she deserves from the very parrot that she was so mean to in the story.

Princess Penelope was a very bratty character and I liked that the parrot showed the visiting Prince that she liked so much just exactly what kind of little princess she really is! Of course you can't miss the irony of the parrot who doesn't speak all through the book suddenly speaking at this very important moment!

I felt
Heidi
A spoiled, obnoxious girl who "gets what she deserves" in a humorous way. Loved the parrot as I felt sorry for him and then cheered him on.

I'd use it for a storytime, but all that name calling? I just couldn't do it.

8/12/10 Well, I needed a book. And after thinking about it, I figured the school-age group could handle the name calling. It doesn't promote it anyhow. So I used the book in my fun storytelling "theme" and it was wonderful. The kids loved the pictures and the story. And it was a lot
Diana Garcia
Mar 28, 2014 Diana Garcia rated it really liked it
Helen Lester started as an elementary school teacher. She taught a second grade class and uses them in her books. She was an illustrator in the book called Author: A True Story. She's won some Children's Choice Awards and one of her books was recognized in 17 different states. Her books are unique in which some have a social and emotional concept about being different, standing out, and even acting up.

I thought this book was a fun read. It had many new vocabulary words and used onomatopoeias. Th
Jillian
Feb 13, 2014 Jillian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytimes
The princess doesn't learn her lesson. I repeat - the princess doesn't learn her lesson. She's embarrassed for awhile, and then "got over it" and starts practicing how to be fake again just in case the "second richest prince" stops by to say hello.

For grown-ups, maybe a "refreshing" tale about how sometimes people just suck. For children, more of a lesson on how to hide your character flaws and try again next time than on why it's important to be a decent person.
Debra
Mar 31, 2014 Debra rated it it was amazing
Princess Penelope is a spoiled brat. "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" and "Mine, Mine, Mine " is what she always says. She has everything even a parrot she hates because he does not talk. But just wait until the little Prince Percival comes calling and the parrot finds his voice. It is a very funny talel and the ending is great!

Helen Lester was born in Evanston, Illinois in 1936. She was and elementary school teacher when she married and had two sons. She began writing while taking time off from teaching.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Princess Penelope does not learn her lesson here. It's up to the author to decide that what happened to her was bad and why. So perhaps it's a little good for some low-level inference, but it's not good for teaching a lesson. The Princess's consequences are delayed and even then, they're a little bizarre. What's the lesson: You'll get what's coming to you? A previously timid person will rise up against you and steal your man if you're mean to him? I'm just not into this story at all.
Paula
Mar 10, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, clear, clear-group
Originally published in 1996, Lester's classic tale about a spoiled and selfish princess who's chances to charm a handsome and rich prince are ruined when her new parrot repeats back to him all the rude comments she made to it, has been reissued with a downloadable audio (complete with sound effects) and a downloadable teacher's discussion and activity guide (which oddly enough, does not include Princess Penelope's Parrot). The access code to the free downloads appears to allow for multiple uses ...more
Sarah Adamson
This is an interesting picture book all about greedy Princess Penelope's parrot. It tries to teach the lesson about not being greedy and instead being polite. Would have preferred a few more pages on the polite behaviour.
Dolly
Jan 18, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, birthday, 2012
This is an entertaining, but somewhat annoying story about a bratty princess whose words come back to haunt her. She is incredibly rude and mean to those around her, and especially to a parrot that refuses to speak at her command. We see Penelope get her comeuppance, however, when the object of her affection is horrified and runs away from the same words she has just spoken to others. We were excited to read this book as it was created by the team who also created the Tacky series. We weren't qu ...more
Karen
Mar 17, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not very satisfied with the story line and outcome of this book. Love Munsinger's illustrations. Look for Tacky...
Elizabeth
Super Cute story and art. Glad she gets her comeupance. Sad it doesn't seem to stick. Like it anyway.
Lauren
May 10, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Princess Penelope is definitely a brat-an enormous brat-who doesn't necessarily learn her lesson. However, her story is an entertaining one as she faces a comeuppance delivered by her parrot. I have taught with this book many times because it is an excellent demonstration of character traits and identifying evidence from the text that prove them. I have done that with second, third, fourth, and fifth graders and it has always been a successful lesson. It is a fun read aloud--but if you are sensi ...more
Serena McGlashen
May 21, 2009 Serena McGlashen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom-read-to-me
Q really liked this book. She showed frustration with the brattiness of the princess and at the end of the book said, "she got what was coming to her".
Later that night, Q stumbled upon her birthday present (a doll) that I would have given her in two months for her birthday. I gave it to her early and she said, "thankyou so much mommy, I really appreciate this...I'm not like Penelope who wasn't grateful...I'm grateful"
Vicki
Nov 11, 2011 Vicki rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
A pretty bratty book. Better to read to a child who knows the difference between when he/she is being bratty and knows it versus a child who doesn't know when he/she is being bratty. You don't want the bratty thing to catch on!
Brittany
2001, Helen Lester, Grades: K-4, Animals-Birds

Great book to do a lesson on gratitude and being grateful what we have. Perhaps this book could be read around holidays.
Dianna
Nov 20, 2013 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Princess Penelope is a spoiled brat, and when the super-rich prince whom she wants to marry comes to visit, the parrot shows him exactly the kind of girl she is.
Caren
Jul 22, 2009 Caren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love most books by Helen Lester. This one is a big hit with the kids.
It teaches kids in a fun way about not being selfish.
Diane
Mar 30, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
We read this book several times at bedtime. It is about a smart parrot and a spoiled little princess.
Katie
Dec 22, 2007 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"TALK, BIG BEAK!"
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Walker Memorial
Walker Memorial marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Evie Le
Evie Le rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Lorri
Lorri marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016