Start by marking “The Octonauts and the Only Lonely Monster” as Want to Read:
The Octonauts and the Only Lonely Monster

The Octonauts and the Only Lonely Monster

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When the Octonauts, a team of eight animals that explores the ocean, help a lonely monster, everyone learns the value of friendship and individuality.
Published November 1st 2006 by Immedium

To ask other readers questions about The Octonauts and the Only Lonely Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Octonauts and the Only Lonely Monster

Alice Cai
I read this to my little sister, it was adorable!
Sarah Sammis
Giant Squids seem to be making a comeback in literature. Maybe it's the recent news of squids, like the one that sank a fishing vessel off the coast of Japan. Maybe it's just a weird literary coincidence. One of those at the forefront of this trend is another delightful picture book from Meomi called The Octonauts and the Only Lonely Monster.

Of all the books in the Octonauts series, The Only Lonely Monster is my favorite. The team discovers a lonely monster who wants to go home. They search nort
Diane
My four year old is OBSESSED with the Octonauts on Disney Jr. Thankfully I discovered that the cartoon is based upon a book series by Meomi. While there are some slight differences between the book and the tv show, my son loved reading this book. The illustrations are adorable, almost like a Hello Kitty style, but gender neutral. This story is about a unique sea monster and how the Octonauts try to help him as they cover all ends of the seas. The ending message to the reader is that being unique ...more
Rachel
I had no idea that there was a Disney cartoon show about these books, but I'm not surprised as it is seriously the cutest book I've ever seen. The illustrations of the Octonauts are like cartoon versions of kawaii (Japanese for cute - so cute it should be illegal) animals. The Octonauts are made up of a polar bear, kitty, penguin, dog, otter, bunny, octopus/bear (only thing I can describe it as)and a vegimal (vegetable animal, in this case a turnip). They live under the sea in the Octopod, which ...more
Jonathan
My 3 year old son loves it (and the cartoon) and I have a soft spot for this story in particular - wonderful illustrations and story
Monika
Jan 21, 2008 Monika rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with eyes, cuz if you're blind, this sucks
Meomi is the bestest!!!!

This is by far the cutest thing on my bookshelf. I own a copy and don't even have kids, but it doesn't matter! Every time I feel sad because some greasy loser bad-touched me on the train home or I found some yuppie crumpetbag peeing in my trash can at night, I just open up the Octonauts and follow their cute little faces to the land of whimsy and sweet delicious oblivion! Read this to your children, your siblings, the neighbors, your local drunk... if you don't find this
Elizabeth S
We discovered this book because my kids love the TV series with these characters. And they love the book too! The book doesn't do the "creature reports" that the show does, so there isn't much nonfiction oceanographic information. But it is a fun story, clever illustrations with lots of detail to discover, and some fun turning the book this-way and that-way on a few pages.

The hard part was trying to do the characters' accents when I read the book. For a couple of the characters, I couldn't remem
Justin Guardiani
A Fantastic and fun book that is a part of the Octonauts collection of books. The pages are filled from left to right and up and down with great illustrations, warm character and a truly fun story. One of my favorite parts of the books are how you need to spin and rotate the books - as the story is not just a left to right motion. Almost like you are in the ocean in the adventure with the Octonauts!
Leigh-Ann
May 03, 2007 Leigh-Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents who loved kid-friendly illustration long before they had kids
This book is so stunningly illustrated. It's like a pint-sized Giant Robot explosion. I liked it waaaaay more than my toddler did. The minute her eyes strayed from the pages, I could tell this was one I'd be storing away on a top shelf, along with my signed J. Otto Seibold hardbacks and my copy of Superflat.

File under: Underwater adventure, cute-mania, rescue team, accordion-playing polar bears
Janice
Gave my four year old this for Christmas and he wants me to read it to him everyday! What more can be said?
♥Xeni♥
My sister read this Octonauts book to me as well. The poor lonely monster... but hey, the Octonauts like making new friends! (And along the way you find plenty of really adorable little things just made to make you squeal or make your adult head think 'nifty!')

Recommended to all parents but also any adults!
Tara
Adorable bubble-headed animals!! Not ideal for storytime, but another cool "not a monster" book. Try saying "higher occurence of colossal cryptozoological manifestations in polar magnetic regions" in storytime. Not something I can read upside down!
Annaleely Leely
it makes me very happy that meomi makes children's books. vicki wong is awesome x's 5 million stars. the progression in complexity of her illustrations always makes me smile.
Erin
My son is only 2 months old and he is already enthralled with this book. It's beautifully illustrated and the characters are fun and quirky. I absolutely love this book.
Aerin
SO cute. The illustrations totally make the book, but it's a sweet story with a great North-East-South-West compass rose twist (literally).
Cheryl
You really have to just let yourself be young at heart to enjoy these. I do think this, the first, is my favorite.
Sara Hadley
So terribly awesome. All little persons should be given a copy of this book. I hear there's a sequel on the way...
Maya
The changing page directions bothered me, story and characters are fun though and both kids liked it
Woodge
Got this for my daughter (age 6) and she loves it. The pictures are gorgeous and full of detail.
RogueHireling
Picked this up at WonderCon last in 2011. Super cute graphics and entertaining story. =)
Alicia
Snazzy and sharp undersea adventures with an adorable bunch of explorers.
Annie
the illustrations are so adorable and ethereal!
Tyger
Perfect Kids book and equally fun for adults!
Stacie
We bought this as a beach book for our 3 year because our whole family enjoys the quirkiness of the Octonauts on Disney Jr. She likes the book even more than the show and its now our go-to bedtime book. Illustrations are fantastic and its a cute story with just the right amount of silliness. Wishing our local bookstore had more than just one of Meomi's books!
Amy!
  • Gaston
  • I Must Have Bobo!
  • Little Hoot
  • The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
MEOMI is Vicki Wong and Michael Murphy. Vicki and Michael both write and illustrate the Octonauts books - although people tend to assume Vicki is the writer and Michael is the illustrator - this might be because of Michael's wavey hair.

Meomi enjoys spending their time making up silly stories, drinking tea, and drawing strange characters.

Meomi's artwork has been featured in numerous illustration an
More about Meomi...
The Octonauts and the Great Ghost Reef The Octonauts and the Sea of Shade The Octonauts and the Frown Fish The Octonauts Explore the Great Big Ocean Octonauts and the Whale Shark