Start by marking “The Pig of Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Pig of Happiness

The Pig of Happiness

I knew Edward Monkton was going to be a success when people started e-mailing me daily saying that it touched their hearts, it made them think, and most important, it made them laugh out loud-again and again." --Giles Andreae

* In the tradition of Jonathan Livingston Seagull comes The Pig of Happiness-a philosophizing porcine fellow with a penchant for spreading good cheer.

Published March 1st 2007 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Pig of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pig of Happiness

Ava Brightly ☕
May 08, 2012 Ava Brightly ☕ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone grouchy or sad
BEST. BOOK. EVER!
Theodore Kinni
Feb 07, 2017 Theodore Kinni rated it liked it
Be happy. It's contagious.
Pequete
Feb 22, 2016 Pequete rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
I received this small book as a gift together with Nuno Amado's À ESpera de Moby Dick, which was sent to me by joaquimponte because I won a bookcrossing lottery organised by another member. The book and illustrations are about the importance at looking at things in a positive way and how being happy can influence others to feel the same way.
Michelle
Oct 16, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift from someone that I contacted during a tough road to losing their spouse. She gave it to me right after my dad died suddenly to remind me to continue to "leak" happiness and find the "seaping" from others. Being the eternal optimist, it reminds me to spread encouragement, see the best in everything and everyone and make the most of what you have. Great read!!!
Andrew Stockle
May 14, 2015 Andrew Stockle rated it did not like it
The Pig of happiness outlines the story of one pig’s determination to be happy. He is so tired of all of the moaning and groaning going on around the barn-yard that he decides he is going to make a difference. This book is short with very simple illustrations and extra-large text. It has a great positive message that encourages children to be happy and find joy in their circumstances. I would use this book in two ways. First as a wonderful example of how to treat others, second how to find joy i ...more
Rachel
Jan 01, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a pick-me-up
This is my first book of the New Year and I deliberately chose this to make a positive start. The Pig of Happiness is about a pig who decided to no longer grumble about everything like all of the other pigs, but to look at the positives in life. Soon the pig is the happiest around and his happiness spreads to the other pigs and farm animals. It is a short picture book with Edward Monkton's quirky art style, full of character yet simple and clear.
It has set my New Year off to a good start and pu
Connie
Jun 20, 2011 Connie rated it it was amazing
A short, fun read. I love that the pictures are just drawings, like a coloring book. It allows me to color my own pictures and personalize it. It's the story of an ordinary pig who creates an extraordinary change for the better among the other animals he has contact with. Just thinking of this book makes me happy.
Steve Wales
Jun 20, 2010 Steve Wales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs cheering up or just wants to smile!
Recommended to Steve by: Laura
"he is so happy"

I first read this, borrowed from my sister, at a time when I had been struggling with depression for over a decade. It made me happy and it made me smile - a fairly major occurrence then! Not exactly an instant cure, but in its own little way it helped.

It's short, it's sweet and it might make you smile. What more of a recommendation do you need?
Jan 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a smile
Shelves: optimism, fiction
This wasn't originally going to be on my reading list, but it's so darn cute and unbelievably optimistic that I can't let it go unnoticed. One individual, who happens to be a pig, discovers that happiness can be found, and shared, in all circumstances. Even when there's too much darn rain. Or just too much butt.
Dmk1
Nov 13, 2016 Dmk1 rated it it was amazing
My brother recommended this simple yet profound picture book. He also recommended the work of Eckhardt Tolle, whose difficult yet life changing work, The Power of Now, I am currently reading. The take away in both books is surprisingly similar, especially surprising since The Pig of Happiness takes only about a minute to read.
Hayley
I adore Edward Monkton's work anyway and this book is just brilliant! I loved it!
Kate
Apr 11, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
I read this book to a friend, and let's face it, a group of people waiting in line at Barnes & Noble. It was hilarious and amazing!
Ellie
Feb 26, 2013 Ellie rated it really liked it
So FUNNY defiantly worth the read!!!
Christie
Feb 12, 2009 Christie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My mom brought this book for Hailey. When I read it I thought, "ME TOO! I WANT TO BE THE PIG OF HAPPINESS TOO!" I loved this book!
Pis4Piglet
Apr 22, 2013 Pis4Piglet rated it it was amazing
Stood and read this book to a friend in Barnes and Noble. It was a cute book. We both stood there laughing.
Kelly
May 07, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it's only a few pages long and great for kids with bad attitudes
Becca
Jan 27, 2016 Becca rated it it was amazing
We could, and should, all learn a lot from this little piggy!
Cheri
Feb 23, 2010 Cheri rated it it was amazing
A joyful little book on perspective.
Rhenda Strub
Aug 24, 2008 Rhenda Strub rated it liked it
My oldest son, a doctoral candidate in chemistry, gave me this for Mother's Day. I read it when I'm blue. He and I share the same quirky sense of humor. He gets me.
Ronald Boy
Apr 26, 2008 Ronald Boy rated it it was amazing
At first glance, this book is for children. However, once you read it, you will see it is a great book for adults as well. Everyone should read this book - it takes 3 mintues, why not?
Diana
Jan 28, 2009 Diana rated it it was amazing
A friend gave this adorable little book to me for Christmas. I loved it!
Kristy
Apr 28, 2011 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
So who cares if it's only 32 pages and it's stuff we all know already?? We still need to be reminded of these lessons, and this book is adorable in showing how happiness is contageous.
Caitlin England
Jun 21, 2014 Caitlin England rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book! If ever I'm feeling unhappy, this is what I read :)
DeeAnn
Jan 06, 2011 DeeAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
Got this for Christmas and I should read it EVERY day!
Joy H.
Mar 13, 2016 Joy H. marked it as to-read
Added 3/13/16.
Lauren
Sep 23, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This book. THIS BOOK. I read it & learned what true (piggy) happiness is.

2016's best op shop gem!
Gheeta
Nov 12, 2010 Gheeta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
always makes me smile!
Matt
Aug 26, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
A short story with a powerful moral.
As a teacher who's just read this, I guarantee this will be one of the first things I read to my new class in September.
Soplada
Apr 29, 2014 Soplada rated it it was amazing
I love, love Edward Monkton Books :D
Nightshade
Dec 19, 2011 Nightshade rated it it was amazing
I laughed so hard I almost choked. In a good way.
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
  • The Belly Book
  • Jaybird
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Stories