Start by marking “Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations” as Want to Read:
Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations

Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations (The Great Courses: Ancient History #3174)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  10 reviews
12 lectures, 30 minutes/lecture, 6 Audio CDs in vinyl case.

Course Lecture Titles
9. The Collapse of the Bronze Age
10. From Hebrews to Jews
11. Imperial Assyria
12. The Persian E
Published (first published July 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations

Evan Hays
An excellent concise history of the ancient civilization of the near east and the regions near that. I will keep returning to this when I need a refresher on Ancient History to help my AP World History students.

Kenneth Harl is really just excellent. This is now the third lecture series by him that I have listened to/read, and his style is very conducive to learning a a lot and being interested all at the same time. He has a unique background to do this because he has been a teacher for very long
Jim
Aug 02, 2014 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: history, tgc
This is a review of a 12 lecture (30 minutes each)in video format, presented by Dr Ken Harl.
I really cannot add much to the great reviews (mostly on the Great Courses website)...Serene Thought really put the course into the proper perspective (though I don't share some of his/her conclusions). Dr Harl presents an outline of just a small part of the cultural development during the earliest formative years of human civilization. Human evolution has exploded during the last 50-70,000 years, with r
David Williams
This is a really great lecture series. It is a wonderful introduction into the history of the Ancient Near East. Highly recommended!
Esther Dan
Great study on Turkey and the surrounding nations
Vincent
This guide accompanied the Teaching Company course of the same name.

It was well presented and explained and I got much out of it but did not have enough foundation to get as much from the parts that I was less familiar with. - so for the parts on the Hebrews and Greeks I understood better and learned more.

Worth the time. Additional review and readings maybe later
Jessica
This course takes you from Bronze Age civilizations in 3500 B.C. to the Persian Empire in 500 B.C. The lecturer is engaging and the lectures carry through on themes of writing, political organization, the technology of war, and commerce. I wish I had had instructors like Dr. Harl in college.
Kara
Review of three ancient civilizations based on river valleys the Indus, the Tigris & Euphrates, & the Nile. Doesn't talk much about the Indus, but does a good job with the Sumerians.
Rustin
History of Egyptians, Mesopotamians, Assyrians and others. The invention of writing by the Sumerians allowed technology advances to be recorded. This began the advance of technology.
Elizabeth
12 audio lectures, and a course book. Very interesting. A little too detailed in some areas -- names, places, etc. Overall -- a great overview course.
Dayla
Dr. Harl is very learned, but he is a little dry. But still, very smart. I just had a hard time getting through to the end of this series.
drazz
drazz marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jared Whitefield
Jared Whitefield marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Sharmin Shikta
Sharmin Shikta marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Johnman
Johnman marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Kenys
Kenys added it
Feb 19, 2015
Jenny
Jenny is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2015
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Damian
Damian marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dr. Kenneth W. Harl is Professor of Classical and Byzantine History at Tulane University in New Orleans, where he teaches courses in Greek, Roman, Byzantine, and Crusader history. He earned his B.A. from Trinity College and his M.A. and Ph.D. from Yale University.

Recognized as an outstanding lecturer, Professor Harl has received numerous teaching awards at Tulane, including the coveted Sheldon H.
More about Kenneth W. Harl...

The Great Courses: Ancient History (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Barbarian Empires of the Steppes
  • Great Ancient Civilizations of Asia Minor
  • Between the Rivers: The History of Ancient Mesopotamia
  • Ancient Empires before Alexander
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • Ancient Greek Civilization (Great Courses, #323)
  • The Persian Empire
  • Alexander the Great and the Macedonian Empire
  •  Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic Age
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
The Vikings (Great Courses, #3910) The Era Of The Crusades The World of Byzantium Great Ancient Civilizations of Asia Minor Fall of the Pagans and the Origins of Medieval Christianity