Start by marking “Defenders: Indefensible ” as Want to Read:
Defenders: Indefensible

Defenders: Indefensible

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Wong possessed by Nightmare Dormammu and Umar in unholy alliance The Hulk and the Sub-Mariner at each other's throats The Silver Surfer... uh... surfing. Can Doctor Strange reunite the Defenders and save "Reality As We Know It?" Only the Ancient One knows for sure Collects Defenders #1-5.
Published February 14th 2007 by Marvel (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Defenders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defenders

Andrew
Sep 26, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sometimes, we take ourselves too seriously. We all have things that make us laugh and cause others to laugh at or with us, things that make us uncomfortable, things that instill jealousy (sometimes irrationally), and so on.

The problem, in my opinion, with Maguire, DeMatteis, and Giffen’s take on “The Defenders” is that I do NOT expect those traits from powerful godlike beings like Dormammu. When Tommy and Dick Smothers do the “Mom always liked you best” routine, I laughed. When Dormammu and Umar
Indika De Silva
May 06, 2014 Indika De Silva rated it really liked it
This is comic book contains many of the necessary elements that should be in a comic book. Decent storyline, humor, action, dramatic moments etc.

The following book features Doctor Strange attempting to reunite the original four Defenders(The Hulk, Namor, and the Silver Surfer) to battle Dormammu and Umar; where the former is bent on world domination and defeating Doctor Strange.

The graphics are very tidy and enjoyable. The arguments between Namor and Banner is entertaining.

The following is a mu
Homewood Public Library
Jan 05, 2012 Homewood Public Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Unlike most superhero groups, the Defenders was entirely unofficial – no club house or headquarters for them -- and was really a temporary alliance of some of the most powerful, if most anti-social, characters in the Marvel Universe. That anti-social dynamic between the Sub-Mariner, The Hulk, Doctor Strange, and the Silver Surfer is played for all it’s worth in this hysterically funny mini-series, now collected into a graphic novel. Keith Giffen and J. M. DeMatteis don’t alter the dramatic tone ...more
Jesse
This is a hilarious tale of three people who really can't stand one another, and have to work together to save our entire dimension from extra-dimensional psychotic-dictators. Oh and then there is a fourth guy who is an alien and buggers off to a beach to find the meaning of the universe amongst surfing retards. This is the story in a nutshell. There is a lot of bickering and fighting, amongst themselves as well as with the forces of conquest from another dimension.

The writing of Keith Giffen s
Brad
Oct 13, 2007 Brad rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, marvel
This same creative did good work on [books: Formerly Known as the Justice League], which had the same blend of humor and superheroics. They don't do so well in this Marvel book.
The perpetually-dysfunctional Defenders (Dr. Strange, Namor, Silver Surfer, and the Hulk) reunite to fight Strange's archenemy, the Dread Dormammu (and his sister Umar).
This book has a bunch of problems, primarily that their jokes aren't funny. Strange and Namor, the two main talkers, are both arrogant blowhards, so thei
MB Taylor
May 07, 2015 MB Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care much for either the humor or the art in this one. Oddly I remember mostly enjoying Giffen, DeMatteis and Maguire's Justice League comics in the 80s (although I also remember being really annoyed sometimes at how they treated some of the characters).

The difference is most likely how I feel about the individual characters. While I've never been a Defenders fan (the team has always seemed too contrived), I've been an off and on fan of Dr. Strange, Namor, the Hulk and the Surfer for ma
Devero
Mar 03, 2015 Devero rated it did not like it
Keith Giffen e Kevin Maguire riprovano, in questa mini, a ricreare l'atmosfera della loro Justice League International. Fallendo completamente.
Rob
Mar 15, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable quick read. This is Marvel with more than a little tongue firmly in cheek comedy added in. Great story and good artwork too.
John
Nov 16, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
The tongue is planted firmly in cheek for this wonderfully funny and outrageous adventure of Marvel's greatest anti-team. Namor and Doctor Strange speak like Shakespearean hams, Silver Surfer is an airhead, the villian is a self absorbed moron, and his sister is horny for the Hulk. The constant bickering and wisecracks are a hoot,and the alternate reality aspects of the story are fun. I guess you could call this a self-parody, but nonetheless, it's a blast if you don't like to take your superher ...more
Gianfranco Mancini
Dissacrante e divertente!
Sam
Dec 05, 2008 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves:
I pick up ANYTHING with Giffen and MacGuire's names on it, going all way back to '85 when they revamped JUSTICE LEAGUE. This is a cool one, I guess. So far, it's gotten a little to heavy in words. This coming from a guy who still reads comic books. This trade, however, has the look and feel of one of their collaborations, but doesn't really have the same zing for some reason.

Maybe it'll pick up.

Or maybe I just never liked THE DEFENDERSin the first place.
Jason
May 28, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
The team that brought you the Justice League in the late 80's (the Bwa-ha-ha days) gives the Defenders the same treatment. It's very self-aware, with Nightmare and Banner making fun of the melodramatic way that Strange and Namor talk. The whole story is played for laughs, and Surfer is underused, but it's pretty great anyway.
M
Aug 02, 2011 M rated it liked it
A tongue-in-cheek look at Marvel's non-team team, this volume sees the rise of Dormammu to power - and the Defenders pulling out all the stops and insults to fix reality. I am not a big fan of the Bwahaha addition to the Marvel Universe, but it is nice to see the Defenders reunited once again.
Jdetrick
Considering how much I love the team of Giffen, DeMatteis and Maguire, this book actually disappointed me a little. The jokes become a little repetitive and it's a little long winded. However, it's gorgeously drawn and there's enough fun in here to make it something I'd recommend.
Shannon Appelcline
I have a bit of a been-there-seen-that feel for this comic. Giffen & DeMatteis try to recapture the magic of their Justice League International, but largely fail. There are moments of humor, but it just doesn't carry through, and the plot itself is much too mundane as well.
Juan Jose
Hilarious and fun stuff by Keith Giffen and DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire, in the style of his Justice League!
Adam
Feb 08, 2008 Adam rated it liked it
enjoyable, but not as good as their Justice League stuff.
Jason
Jason added it
May 28, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Marvel Reader
Marvel Reader marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Kade-Mica Battles
Kade-Mica Battles marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Sean Aaron
Sean Aaron rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Matthew Farmer
Matthew Farmer marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Claudius
Claudius marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Patrick Devaney
Patrick Devaney rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Ben Kalman
Ben Kalman rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Steven Kirby
Steven Kirby rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Francorum Martinezku
Francorum Martinezku marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Shaun Baker
Shaun Baker rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Keith Ian Giffen is an American comic book illustrator and writer. He is possibly best-known for his long runs illustrating, and later writing the Legion of Super-Heroes title in the 1980s and 1990s. He also created the alien mercenary character Lobo (with Roger Slifer), and the irreverent "want-to-be" hero, Ambush Bug. Giffen is known for having an unorthodox writing style, often using characters ...more
More about Keith Giffen...