Start by marking “Killer Market” as Want to Read:
Killer Market

Killer Market (Deborah Knott Mysteries #5)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,732 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Agatha, Edgar, Macavity Anthony Award-winning Author*A Mystery Guild Selection Arriving in High Point, North Carolina to substitute for a vacationing colleague, Judge Deborah Knott cant find a place to stay. The International Home Furnishings Market has taken over the town. Finally, Deborah is taken in by an eccentric old woman named Mrs. Jernigan, beginning a chilling mis ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Warner Books (NY) (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Market

Richard Brand
Jul 07, 2016 Richard Brand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this story was a little better than some of the others I read. Like so many of these mystery series they spend a lot of time educating you about different things. This one spent a lot of time in educating you about a furniture market in High Point, N.C. There were a couple of filler chapters where the Judge did Judge work on a soiled rug or a child custody case. There seemed to be a consistent theme of illegitimate children in this story. Lots of babies who did not know who daddy was and ...more
Jean Poulos
This is book five in the Knott series and we have Judge Deborah Knott substituting for a vacationing colleague in High Point, North Carolina. The author places the murder in the middle of the Furniture Market Show. There are lots of suspects including Knott. Knott runs into an old law school friend as well as lots of unusual characters.

The plot is full of twists and turns to keep the reader turning pages. There is southern hospitality, lots of furniture lore, industry jargon and realistic dialo
Kwoomac
There were definitely things I enjoyed about this book but not more than an okay rating. The protagonist is a 30 something woman who's a judge. She has a spotty history. Her family wasn't in this book but she has 11 overprotective brothers and a bossy father. The setting was kind of interesting, the story takes place in a big furniture town in North Carolina during the international home furnishings market.

What I was less thrilled with was the constant rehashing of who was where, who had a motiv
Mary Ronan Drew
May 28, 2013 Mary Ronan Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This marvelous mystery should be subtitled "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Furniture Manufacturing and Merchandising." Margaret Maron's mysteries are all (so far) set in North Carolina and this one takes place in High Point during the semi-annual furniture marketing week.

Killer Market has one of the most unusual murder "weapons" I've encountered: a brownie. A special brownie laced with ground up penicillin, fed to a greedy eater who is allergic to penicillin. (Should anyone want to do
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, knott
5th in the Judge Deborah Knott series set in North Carolina.[return][return]Deborah is sitting in for a colleague in High Point, North Carolina during Market Week, when buyers from all over the world descend on the small town of High Point to check out the latest offerings in the furniture and furnishings industry. A murder occurs; the victim is a very old acquaintance of Deborah s. She is reluctantly involved in the investigation.[return][return]That s the plot. While Maron s plots always revol ...more
Barbara Mitchell
After reading a serious history of World War I, I needed something light and fun and who better to turn to than Margaret Maron. I love her books and have been saving a couple I found at a book sale.

Judge Deborah Knott not only has a huge family, she has many friends throughout the South, and occasionally is sent to fill in for a vacationing judge in some interesting little town. This time she's been sent to High Point, North Carolina and doesn't realize until she arrives and finds every motel fi
Sandra
An interesting journey into the background of marketing furniture and other decor items, with a murder/accident thrown in as well as a secret of youth. Love the characters in Maron's novels and how Judge Deborah Knott gets thrown into the mix. Another good read in her series of mysteries.

From Amazon:
Since the first Deborah Knott mystery, Bootlegger’s Daughter, swept the top mystery awards in 1993, the feisty judge has proven herself an investigator ranking with today’s best—dedicated to justic
Liz
Jul 05, 2013 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunit, series
Having been to the High Point Market during sales/design week as a design student, this fed into my memories of how overpowering this bi-yearly meetup is. Incredible mashups of textile, accessory & furniture eras, styles, finishes, proportions, crammed cheek by jowl into huge cavernous areas, lots of corridors where it's very easy to get lost & totally creeped out. A friend & I scared each other to death a couple of times, getting lost & popping out at each other.
And since it sq
Cam
Sep 06, 2013 Cam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another comforting mystery from the Deborah Knott series, this time as a visiting judge in the host town of a huge furniture industry convention. A man she knew during her troubled youth is killed on site, and even the Judge is a suspect. He's about to leave his current firm for an overseas position, has a poor track record with women before and after his deceased wife, and might be taking his young daughter with him. Of course, the judge gets mixed up with the family and the industry types from ...more
Kellie
My opinion of this author has not changed after reading this one. I think Maron has a very unique style of writing. I love the education a reader gets on a specific industry of North Carolina. In this one it was the furniture/decorating business. She takes an actual real life industry and weaves a mystery in it. Not only is a reader getting a fun mystery, but they are learning something about North Carolina. This is great, especially if you live in the state. The problem I have with her writing ...more
Erin
Jul 08, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it was the book or just me this time around, but I just really didn't enjoy this one. The only thing I could think was it was the market setting just not being that interesting. I was thinking that it was maybe that Deborah is away from home for this one, subbing in for another judge in another county, except that she's done this before and I didn't dislike that book. So I guess it has to come down to the characters in this one maybe didn't pop off the page as well as in previous ...more
Barbara
Jan 15, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
What can I say? I like Deborah Knott. This is my third mystery. This is earlier in the series than the other two books I read, but I still find Deborah to be an intelligent and prudent “detective”. She is not intrusive or impulsive; just haring off to question anyone she thinks may be involved in the murder, whether she know them or not. She almost seems to get involved despite herself; but this is probably a misconception on my part; since I’ve only read three books. After all, her childhood fr ...more
Patty
Jan 08, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still really enjoying this series. This episode was fascinating because it was set in a North Carolina town where during "market week" nothing much is done except selling furniture, and thousands of people flood the small town to buy and sell furniture. Judge Deborah Knott is in town to substitute for a vacationing judge and, of course, ends up involved in a murder (or two or three). As usual there is a bunch of interesting characters and complicated family ties. I did miss Deborah's family, ...more
Caitlin
Jul 22, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
Deborah finds herself away to judge exactly at the time of the biggest to-do in a small town that is usually deserted. And for the first time, Deborah's unfortunate proximity to so much murder brings her in as a suspect. Despite repeated warnings to stay out of things, Deborah can't help but look for clues to get herself out of the hot seat.
In the meantime, Deborah meets an eclectic set of characters from a little girl to some middle-aged crazies of the furniture market. I quite enjoyed reading
Bryn
Jul 04, 2010 Bryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bryn by: Mom
Shelves: mystery
Again, recommended by mom. She, of course, loved that it took place at the biggest annual furniture market in the country; unfortunately, I did not share her enthusiasm.

I did enjoy the character of schizophrenic former designer, and it did make me laugh more than once. The series character didn't do much for me, however, and I didn't think the plot was all that interesting. In the end it was just a bit to "fluffy" for me.
Sandy Weir
Apr 24, 2012 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another southern adventure with Deborah Knott, again traveling to a different location in North Carolina to cover for another judge's absence. Maron introduces us to the Home Furnishings Market, which is quite a surprise. I liked the insightful treatment of various characters with handicaps, such as Savannah. While her court room is definitely not filling the book, Judge Knott's reflections about the two cases presented are solid and offer a nice diversion.
Ellen Moore
Mar 12, 2015 Ellen Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting. Judge Knott was substituting for another judge in High Point, NC, during tthe International Home Furnishings Market. She meets several people connected with the Market and gets involved with a murder investigation. She learns a lot about the furniture industry and encounters a couple of persons she had known years before. She helps with several persons' complicated relationships and assists in clearing up questions and problems from the past.
Joyce Lagow
Jan 16, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wears better with rereading--I liked it much better the 3rd and 4th time than the first. At first, it seemed like a promo for the North Carolina furniture market--which it is--but it is also filled with energy and the excitement of that kind of event. The mystery is well plotted in Maron's usual fashion. Deborah Knott continues to shine as a likable character with plenty of interest.
Alisonpaddock
Aug 24, 2010 Alisonpaddock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second book about Deborah Knott. I find her a very well conceived character, smart, warm and very womanly. She brings all of those elements into her job as a judge. The mysteries are fun and complicated and I enjoy the locations. It is really hard to keep all her extended family straight - I mean 11 brothers and their families?!
Aug 06, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Judge Deborah Knott heads to High Point during the Furniture Market. That's some North Carolina flavor right there, but I missed Deborah's extended family and Colleton County friends --they are hardly mentioned in this book. I've only shopped for furniture in High Point once, but I suspect readers more familiar with that scene would be pleased with Maron's descriptions of the Market.
Margaret Dee
Another good regional mystery. Every other book is set in a different part of the state. I understand that she can't kill off the town but the ones set at home with her family are my favorite.

Interesting story learned a little about furniture shows.
Bonnie
Jul 22, 2009 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites of the Deborah Knott mysteries. Judge Knott is filling in for a judge in High Point, NC during the International Furniture Market. I loved reading about the NC furniture industry. Good tale of mystery and murder!
Readnponder
Oct 05, 2012 Readnponder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Deborah Knott mystery takes place during the annual furniture market in High Point NC. This series can be depended on for breezy, interesting mystery set in NC. Killer Market is no exception.
Amylou1977
Jun 12, 2008 Amylou1977 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i so love these books

High Point, NC is home of the International
Home Furnishings Market with six million square feet of furniture showrooms. So how come the first showroom Deborah Knott visits has a corpse decorating the wicker swing set?
Carmen
Nov 19, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
A great mystery book! Fifth in the DK series. This one is about selling furniture, which is boring, but the characters and plot are amazing and great! Issues: Adoption, mental illness, homophobia.
Lesley Looper
Nov 16, 2008 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Margaret Maron fan anyway, but I especially enjoyed this book because it was set in High Point, a city near where I used to live. It was unusual and fun to read a mystery involving the Furniture Market.
Wanda
Apr 17, 2015 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery. Based on the intrigues of the furniture industry and their big show each year. Judge Knott always gets involved and in a small town/county you know a lot of the inhabitants. Lots of suspects to choose from and tangled relationships.
Caroline
Jun 21, 2007 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Good mystery that takes place in High Point, NC during furniture market. This gives insight to the market hayday (wich is dwindling now). Fun if you like mysteries. Not too heavy. Men and women will both enjoy this book.
Jamie Brooks
Meh. I was honestly pretty bored throughout this book. I thought the setting of a funiture festival was weird and just plain boring. I couldn't get into it, the characters werent explained well and it was all just very confusing. Hoping the next one is better.
Angie
Sep 05, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a 3-. I have just been to the NC Furniture Mart in Hickory, and this seemed like a very timely read, but it really did not grab me. It seemed like a puffed-up novella, a decent story but not enough there to fill a novel. Very "thin".
  • Art's Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #2)
  • Amendment of Life: A Mystery  (Inspector Sloan #19)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks, #6)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)
  • Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters, #8)
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Nightshade (China Bayles, #16)
  • The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch, #2)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Deborah Knott Mysteries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mystery, #4)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #6)
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #7)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #9)
  • High Country Fall (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #10)
  • Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)