Start by marking “Killing with the Edge of the Moon” as Want to Read:

Killing with the Edge of the Moon

The speaker is a hickory-faced crone trying to explain to Chet, a shy kid with eyeglasses and pocket protector, why he can't take her granddaughter to the high school dance. For quiet, elfin Flannery is not like other kids. A living Blud-eye-eth, she has caught the attention of the faerie, beautiful evil creatures from a mysterious Otherworld, who seduce their victims with ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Wildside Press

To ask other readers questions about Killing with the Edge of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing with the Edge of the Moon

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
The cover of this book grabbed my attention.
I took a gamble on it and it turned out very good.
Written well, just wasn't what I normally read.
Iyanna
Aug 11, 2008 Iyanna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Iyanna by: Random Chance
This beautifully realized, dark faerie tale is a novella featuring a few two-page chapters that get right to the point, lush language and full-bodied imagery. Killing with the Edge of the Moon takes you against your will to a parallel land that sits astride our own. The author blended Celtic myth and contemporary stylization with impeccable technique. His wordplay is at once poetic and action-packed. As a lover of the fantastic written word I wondered why I hadn't heard of any of A.A. Attanasio' ...more
Maki
Witches out to teach people a lesson? Check. Fairies trying to lure people into their realm? Check. World dragon? Check. Strong basis in Celtic mythology and folklore? Definitely. Now that's an Attanasio book!

I liked this book a lot more than I liked the Conjure Book. It felt more like what I was used to from Attanasio. The story was very poetic...not necessarily the way it was written, but the plot itself: girl gets taken by the fairies, her love has to win her back. It's a story of love and re
Metaphorosis
Aug 26, 2016 Metaphorosis rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2016-rev
3.5 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

Flannery's grandmother is a witch. Charms, herbs, cottage on the edge of town, and all the trimmings. Flannery, on the other hand, is not so keen - until a younger boy with a crush gets hurt running after her, and a handsome fairy on a motorcycle rescues her from death's dark clutches. Then it gets complicated, and both she and the boy must work to find a way out of fairyland.

I'm not a fan of urban fantasy or supernatural romance, and this is both. On the other ha
Olethros
Oct 28, 2013 Olethros rated it liked it
-Young Adult con tonos de fábula.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Nedra Fell trata de controlar a los espíritus para que sigan prolongando su vida y le den poder, aunque una fuerza en forma de perro negro trata de impedirselo y casi lo consigue. La nieta de Nedra, Flannery, una jovial adolescente, será el nuevo objetivo del perro, dejando su cuerpo muy mal herido indirectamente pero abriendo su mente a otra realidad, a la que sabe que, de alguna manera, pertenece.

¿Quiere saber m
extrapulp
Dec 28, 2013 extrapulp rated it really liked it
"The green moment before lightning strikes..." - I came across a short story by Attanasio in an '07 sci-fi/fantasy magazine - and really was taken with the amount of story and rich description he could pack in so few pages (he's a monster with description). In looking up other books, this is the first one I went to - liking the summary of magic, faerie, doors between worlds, and keen to meet the Black Dog. Attanasio's style holds true: these 150 pages hold more thoughtful writing and depth of de ...more
Harold Ogle
Feb 21, 2012 Harold Ogle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Neil Gaiman, fans of faerie stories
Shelves: fantasy, ya, faeries
Attanasio is an amazing author, not so much because he writes great stories (though he often does), but because each book seems to be the result of a challenge to write a story "in the style of" another famous author. Not content with settling on one style and one voice for his works, Attanasio cribs others' so effectively that one can only marvel at the craft involved. It also makes a fun reading exercise with each new Attanasio book: to which author is this an hommage? Killing with the Edge of ...more
Zach Sparks
Jul 17, 2013 Zach Sparks rated it really liked it
From what I understand, Attanasio normally sets out to write his books in the style of another author, it's the literary quirk he's known for, and his fans love to try and guess who he is emulating. In this case, Attanasio is giving us an extremely good version of a modernized Celtic myth as seen by none other than Neil Gaiman. It just feels a lot like Gaiman, the writing has the same taste and sense as Stardust and Neverwhere. On the whole, I was very impressed with the story, I just wish it wa ...more
Frank Taranto
Jun 17, 2010 Frank Taranto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A very well done short book about a young girl who is more than she seems. Mixes Celtic lore and modern day society in an interesting way.
The two heroes of the book are young outcasts, Flannery because her 'grandmother' appears to be a Wiccan priestess, and Chet because he is a bookworm from a strange family.
They both discover something about themselves and their world through their adventure. A well told, fast paced story.
Allie
Jun 19, 2016 Allie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I stumbled across this little gem while browsing the library. If you love witch imagery, you will enjoy this book. The ending of the story was a little anticlimactic but this book is about the journey. I feel that Goodread's synopsis doesn't do the story justice; in fact if I had read the synopsis looking for something new to read, I probably would have passed it over. If you love faery tales, fantasy and poetic prose, you will enjoy this book.
Don
1992 Nebula Award nominee Attanasio gives us a dark, neo-Celtic fantasy, along with teen romance and a dragon. Flannery and Chet are taunted at school because they are intelligent and different. Chet will soon learn just how different Flannery is when he is called upon by the girl’s very old grandmother to rescue her from the Otherworld.
Charles
Apr 21, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it
A fun fantasy story. A little predictable but still very well-written and a modern take on the Celtic folklore that is covered in great detail in the Perilous Order of Camelot series. I was just looking on Amazon and didn't realize Attanasio had written so many books. I guess my reading list just got longer!
Carly Kirk
Jan 28, 2016 Carly Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

This was an excellent story that blends a little bit of today with magic. And not soft magic, but the tricky scary kind. Very enjoyable... and if the author writes (or wrote) more about these people, I definitely want to read it.
Salam Tims
Nov 19, 2012 Salam Tims rated it really liked it
A work of magic from the world's best teller of magical tales! Written for a young audience, it updates faerie lore in a contemporary setting, and has sufficient depth and lyrical writing more than sufficient to enchant readers of any age.
Deb
Jun 25, 2007 Deb rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
When an author is compared to the best of Charles de Lint, Jane Yolen and Holly Black all at once in a favorable book review done by Publisher's Weekly (the reader's bible), I am obligated to read it. But not to finish it.
william  Goodrow
Jun 05, 2015 william Goodrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Killing with the Edge of the Moon

Well written a thoroughly enjoyed by me. Awesome storyline and characterization, held spellbound from beginning to end. Highly recommended by me for anyone interested in great fantasy.
Robin Edman
Mar 26, 2014 Robin Edman rated it liked it
A little stilted in the dialogue, a few missed chances to do something really cool, but all in all a sweet little story.
Ashley
Aug 07, 2013 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Things went very quickly, and I just couldn't get into the story. I know it's a work of fiction, but everything was so unbelievable, and even forced, to make make the story continue.
Kyra
Dec 30, 2012 Kyra rated it liked it
Intriguing plot, but I thought it took a weird turn and finished as if the author had a more pressing engagement. Pity that.
A
Apr 14, 2015 A rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what I was expecting.

I like trying out new authors, without doing really any research but sometimes it just doesn't play out like I hope.
Rosann
Jun 26, 2013 Rosann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute young adult reading. Im sure girls hearts will go pitter pat with the cute romance in the book :-)
Kevin
Oct 04, 2009 Kevin rated it it was ok
"We... are not impressed."
Gary Castaldo
Gary Castaldo rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
Susannah
Susannah rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Katie Sauber
Katie Sauber rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Harmony
Harmony rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Philly Cashion
Philly Cashion rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
InJokeTaken
InJokeTaken rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it did not like it
Mar 02, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Sapphire of the Fairies (Sword of Heavens, #1)
  • Dragon Soul
  • Haunting Obsession
  • Perfect Evil
  • Revenge of the Taken (Humble Walker, #1)
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • The Afterlife Series Box Set
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne, #1)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • The Division of the Damned
  • The Stumpwork Robe (The Chronicles of Eirie #1)
  • The Glass Slipper
  • The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)
  • Farro (Farro and Sulfur, #1)
  • Thanatos Rising (Memoirs of Harry Chesterton, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
I’m a novelist and student of the imagination living in Honolulu. Fantasies, visions, hallucinations or whatever we call those irrational powers that illuminate our inner life fascinate me. I’m particularly intrigued by the creative intelligence that scripts our dreams. And I love carrying this soulful energy outside my mind, into the one form that most precisely defines who we are: story.
More about A.A. Attanasio...