Start by marking “Coraline: Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Coraline: Graphic Novel

Coraline: Graphic Novel

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  15,774 Ratings  ·  1,367 Reviews
When Coraline steps through a door in her family's new house, she finds another house, strangely similar to her own (only better). At first, things seem marvelous. The food is better than at home, and the toy box is filled with fluttering wind-up angels and dinosaur skulls that crawl and rattle their teeth.

But there's another mother there and another father, and they want
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published June 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Coraline, please sign up.

Becky This page refers to the graphic novel adaptation of Gaiman's original Coraline. The one you're referring to is the anniversary edition of the original…moreThis page refers to the graphic novel adaptation of Gaiman's original Coraline. The one you're referring to is the anniversary edition of the original Coraline novel. I found a limited edition copy of the Chris Riddell illustrated novel at bookdepository.com using a Google search. Amazon is also selling a Kindle edition of that version.(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really enjoy the story of Coraline, but the artwork just didn't do it for me.
Raeleen Lemay
I definitely enjoyed the novel way more, but this was still a super creepy book, perfect for Halloween.
Anne
I'd definitely recommend this version to reluctant readers.
Yeeees. The real book is...a REAL book, but I'm talking about those kids who don't like to read.
I've got one of those, and she loved this thing.
My feeling is that if you can get them hooked on a good story, no matter how you do it, it's going to show them the possibilities between the pages of a book.

description

The graphic novel tells the same story as the book, but with the added bonus of pictures. Duh.
Who doesn't like pictures?
Blind folks and sno
Bookdragon Sean
Coraline is a wonderful novel; it’s full of mystery. My head hurts when I think about what is actually happening. Sure we can make guesses at the magic behind it, but we will never fully be able to understand how it works. This is part of the book’s greatness: it will always remain elusive. So the plot of Corlaine is superb; there’s no arguing that, yet this comic adaption of it is just poor.

Why? Well it lacks colour. Coraline has undertones of the gothic, of the unusual, of the untraceable. Th
Apatt
Aug 24, 2016 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

Nothing much is happening in the above picture, the very first frame of the graphic novel edition of Coraline but it still manages to be foreboding and disquieting. There are quite a few pictures like this in this book where so much is communicated with so little. Even the style of the font and the layout can convey an otherworldly feeling of dread. Look at that spider:

Something about that “scuttling” text just scuttles. *Shiver*

What of the story then? The story is great.

Coraline is about an 11-
Tara Račić
Aug 08, 2015 Tara Račić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A modern-day Alice in Wonderland, indeed.
أحمد
Apr 26, 2015 أحمد rated it it was amazing
يعرف مَن شاهد فيلم "كورالاين" أنه لا يناسب الأطفال كثيرا، وأنه سيظل طويلا ملازما لكوابيس أي طفل شاهده. لكن هذه الرواية المصورة؟ لا أعرف حقا كيف كنت لأشعر لو كنت قرأتها طفلا! فخيال المخرج المبدع "هنري سيليك" أخرج الفيلم في صورة رائعة ومروعة، تساءلتُ كثيرا عن مدى مناسبتها للأطفال. لكنني اكتشفت بعد قراءة الرواية أنه كان رحيما بتجاهل الكثير من التفاصيل المفزعة!
نيل جايمان هنا يمزج بعبقرية فذة بين أشنع تيمات الرعب، وبين أعذب ملامح قصص الأطفال.
تحياتي يا جايمان، فقد نجحتَ تماما في إثارة هلعي كبالغ، وانب
Stacey (prettybooks)
I must confess that I've never read Neil Gaiman's Coraline, but I have seen the adaptation and have been curious about how it'd work as a graphic novel. As it turns out, it's wonderfully creepy. I expected Coraline to have bright blue hair and the story to be as whimsical as it is in the film, but the graphic novel is more realistic. I don't think button eyes and the Other Mother will ever stop being creepy. P. Craig Russell's illustrations capture the weirdness perfectly!

I also reviewed this bo
Taylor Knight
Jul 25, 2015 Taylor Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I haven't seen the movie for Coraline or read the original book so I had pretty much no idea what this graphic novel was about.
The overall plot was really interesting and spooky. I wasn't expecting it to be so strange but I really enjoyed it.
I really like Coraline. She was a fun character and I thought she was really well written.
Rebecca McNutt
I've read some terrible book-to-comic adaptations before, but Coraline isn't one of them. Beautifully (and sometimes creepily) drawn, full of quirky and unforgettable characters, and set in both reality and fantasy, this is one graphic novel that everyone can enjoy.
Andrew
Oct 12, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Recommended to Andrew by: Lauren
Some years ago, I read the original novel by Gaiman, upon which this book is based and I liked it so much, even though the genre is for younger readers.
Speaking about plot, this novel is equal to the original story, with all the suspense and pathos. This is an incredible trip to another world, a story that has many points in common with Alice in wonderland.

Coraline, bored and neglected by parents, discovers that a door, opened on a wall of brick, in some circumstances gives access to another wor
Anna
“How do I know you'll keep your word?" asked Coraline.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."
"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.
"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back.”

This is a spooky and creepy story. I'm still not sure whether I like spooky and creepy stories...
What I did like, on the other hand, was the banter between Coraline and the cat:

“What's your name,' Coraline asked
Ricardo
Aug 14, 2016 Ricardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, own
5 / 5

Una historia tan llena de magia como de escalofríos, acompañada de ilustraciones hermosas y muy espeluznantes. ¡Maravilloso!

Reseña: http://www.eternamenteentiniebla.com/...
Cara Marie
Jul 04, 2008 Cara Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
My rating here is for the graphic novel as an adapation, rather than for the story itself. I should probably stop reading comic adaptions of Neil Gaiman's books, because they never seem to really sing.

Part of it is how this is a very straight adaptation - I would have preferred it to have relied less on the boxes of text narrative, which seem to generally be taken straight from the book. The comic doesn't do anything other than what the book does, which I find disappointing in an adaptation. I'd
Sarah Churchill
As usual, I love Gaiman's original story. This adaptation is both hit and miss for me. I enjoyed the illustrations and the story felt a little fleshed out and more... immersive? That comes from having visuals to support the story I suppose.

BUT Coraline looks a lot older than she 'should' from the original story, which turns it into a story about an ungrateful petulant pre-teen rather than a little girl, and that made me lose a little sympathy for her. Nobody likes a sulky teen (pre-teen or othe
Ferdy

Liked it. The story was interesting and fast paced, the characters weren't anything special but they were decent enough. Coraline was likeable, the talking cat was fairly witty, and the other mother was a good baddie… She was a little camp in her evulness but not in a bad way though.
There were some parts that were quite creepy, like the bad guys having buttons for eyes, and the other mother wanting to take Coraline's eyes out so she could sew buttons on her instead. The parts with the
Lauren
Oct 09, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
P. Craig Russell has done it yet again!

Coraline: Graphic Novel is Russell's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's classic and chilling story about a girl who enters an alternative world to encounter her "other" mother and the creepy universe she has created.

If you haven't read the original story and don't know the plot, Russell's adaptation is perfection and complete in itself, so there is no prerequisite to read Gaiman's novel (although you should...because it's Gaiman).

The artwork is breathtaking, vi
AleJandra
*** 3 STARS***

POP SUGAR READING CHALLENGE 2016 A GRAPHIC NOVEL

Desde hace tiempo quería leer novelas graficas, y decidí empezar con una sencilla.

La leí súper rápido, me gusto la historia es entretenida, aunque las imágenes no me agradaron del todo, me hubiera gustado que fueran mas oscuras, mas creppys.

Sin duda veré la película que parece tener mas ese toque de terror.

Mi personaje favorito fue el gato sin nombre.
Karin
I was extremely excited when I saw the Coraline in graphic novel form. When the book first came out I totally fell in love with it. For a children’s book, it was completely frightening. The graphic novel does a great job of hitting the high points of the story and the illustrations are great, but I don’t think it should be used as a replacement for the original book. The illustrations that are in the book publication are even creepier than the color illustrations in the graphic novel. For exampl ...more
❀EᖇYᑎ❀
Mar 21, 2017 ❀EᖇYᑎ❀ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good, 4-stars
Closer to 3.5 stars...the artwork just didn't do it for me. Asides from that, it's still the awesomely eerie story I love!
Nicolo Yu
Jan 03, 2016 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
P. Craig Russell's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Coraline isn't as dark as the movie but I wouldn't say this graphic novel was all sunshine either. It is still a dark enough story to thrill children and give adults nightmares, just as Gaiman intended his novel to be.

This was a great read, as I did found the empty time in between errands the perfect time to read a story set in between the hidden pockets of reality. I found myself favoring this adaptation to the movie as Russell really knows how to
Eli Bishop
Jan 05, 2009 Eli Bishop rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Good story; adaptation was a big disappointment. P. Craig Russell has done some great comics, and at worst he still draws a very pretty picture, but this was mostly flat and literal-minded. The characters aren't very expressive (Coraline, who looks about 15 and very conventionally pretty, often just seems bored and mildly worried) and, with a few exceptions, the backgrounds aren't either... so it's hard to tell why Coraline would ever think the other house or the Other Mother was particularly co ...more
Rubén
Segundo libro de Neil Gaiman que leo, sin lugar a dudas mucho mejor que las historias cortas.

Muchos ya conoceran la historia de Coraline gracias a la película, yo la ví pero honestamente no recordaba mucho la trama. Me agrada el personaje ya que no es la típica niña que necesita ayuda de todo mundo o que según las leyendas es una gran asesina pero a la mera hora no mata ni una mosca, coff coff Celeana de Trono de Cristal coff coff.

Libro ampliamente recomendable y esta versión es muy buena ya que
Kat
Basic plot: Coraline is largely overlooked by her parents and ends up in a parallel world where her "other mother" is overly interested in Coraline.

Ah, the basic problem of being a kid: either your parents aren't interested enough or are too interested. This is one of the paradoxes of parenting. Finding a happy medium is nigh impossible.

The art for the graphic novel is good, but not mind-blowing. After having seen the movie, the art really threw me off. Nothing looked the same at all (not that t
Aseel

This book is meant to be a movie
Watched it with my neices thousands of times
Reading the book was OK
There's one extra character in the movie though
THE MOVIE IS A MUST WATCH
Robin
Jul 20, 2008 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like quirky graphic novels
This is the second graphic novel adaptation of a young adult novel that I've read recently. The first was Artemis Fowl which I liked and now this one. Oddly enough the written version of Coraline seemed much darker to me than this version so as much as I liked it, I didn't think it was as creepy and disturbing as the original.
JAM
Jan 05, 2016 JAM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really creepy. That's where I'll leave it. All in all though it was a good book.
Fede Valotta
Mar 22, 2016 Fede Valotta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, read-marzo-2016
<3 Coraline <3
Hunter Kimball
Mar 10, 2017 Hunter Kimball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dont really how to feel about this book and to be honest was probably a little small for what i should be reading. The book was good though, and it was just a pretty good book in general. If you like graphic novels that are adventurous and fantasy then this just may be a book that you might want to try.
Megan
Wow. I skimmed through some other reviews after finishing this and a lot of people really don't like the graphic novel version of this book. I've never read the novel version so I can't compare the two myself but I guess I can understand how a reader might not want or agree with someone else's artistic interpretation of a beloved story since we all take something different from them. I have seen the film version though and I have to agree with those other reviewers that I preferred the darker, g ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Coraline by Neil Gaiman 3 26 Aug 03, 2015 08:40AM
  • The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch
  • Lola
  • Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems
  • The Savage
  • Our Gracie Aunt
  • The Storm in the Barn
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Beanball
  • Wonderland
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Bayou Vol. 2
  • The Eternal Smile: Three Stories
  • Copper
  • Chiggers
  • Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #1)

“Sharper than a serpent's tooth is a daughter's ingratitude. Still, the proudest spirits can be broken, with love.” 9 likes
“No. I'm not the other anything. I'm me.
(Não. Eu não sou outro, nada. Eu sou eu.)”
2 likes