Start by marking “In the Night Season: A Novel” as Want to Read:
In the Night Season: A Novel

In the Night Season: A Novel

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Nora Michaelson and her eleven-year-old son, Jason. are going through a difficult adjustment to life after the accidental death of Jason's father. at a time when the family's small business was failing. The loss of Jack Michaelson has left his wife and son nearly destitute. It has also placed their lives in jeopardy. This is a story of terror, and resourcefulness in the fa ...more
Published May 19th 1999 by Harper Perennial (first published May 5th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about In the Night Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Night Season

Debra
Sep 06, 2011 Debra marked it as to-read
Stephen King recommended book. In his book On Writing, published 2000, King says on pages 285-286: "These are the best books I've read over the last three or four years, the period during which I wrote The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book, Hearts in Atlantis, On Writing, and the as-yet-unpublished From a Buick 8. In some way or other, I suspect each book in the list had an influence on the books I wrote."

He continues to say "...a good many of these might show you some new ways of doing
Elke
Jun 25, 2012 Elke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, sold, thriller
I chose this novel on impulse, based only on the summary. In the Night Season provided a very intense reading experience and was a real page-turner.

Plot summary:
It all begins with racist motivated hate mails directed at Ed Bishop, the black neighbor of recently widowed Nora Michaelson, who takes care of her son in the afternoons while she is still at work. When Ed Bishop is murdered, everyone suspects that the so-called "Virginia Front" is behind this crime, putting into action their announced t
Kyra
Apr 20, 2015 Kyra rated it it was ok
Interesting book. Well written, suspenseful and well-paced. So why only a measly 2 star rating ? The entire time I was reading this book, I felt as if I were watching a black and white cop show from the 1950s - perhaps an episode of Perry Mason. The characters, the dialogue, even the action are all for some reason very old-fashioned and thus a bit clunky. This created a sort of odd disconnect between what was going on in the book and what it actually felt like. An uncomfortable feeling.
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it
This one-day read grabbed me at the start and never let go. Nora and her 11-year-old son Jason are being terrorized for something they know nothing about, secrets Nora’s husband took with him to the grave when he was killed in an auto accident. Paralleling their story is that of Phil Shaw, who lost his son in a drowning incident and whose marriage couldn’t survive that devastation -- and who begins to find redemption in building a new relationship with Jason.
Mary
Jun 14, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Nora Michaelson and her eleven-year-old son, Jason, are both going through a difficult adjustment after the accidental death of Jason's father, during a time when the family's small business was failing. The loss of Jack Michaelson has left his wife and son nearly destitute. It has also placed their lives in jeopardy from several people who it is very dangerous to cross. This is a story of terror, and resourcefulness in the face of terror, from a master storyteller.

I really enjoyed this book; it
Debbie Prothero
Feb 19, 2016 Debbie Prothero rated it it was amazing
Chilling and suspenseful. It will have you holding your breath.
Richard J. Alley
Dec 14, 2012 Richard J. Alley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A word about my ratings. I don't adhere so well to the star rating system. If I like a book a lot, it gets three stars. If I dislike it, one. Don't read so much into what it all might mean, it's very simple, if I like a book and think you should read it, it gets three stars. Five stars are not for mortals. Five stars are reserved for bananafish, Gatsbys, potato barns, Havishams and lords of the apes.

Many times I will expound on a book or books at my blog, Urf! (http://uurrff.blogspot.com). Come
Frederick Bingham
Sibel
Jul 30, 2010 Sibel rated it liked it
The violence in this one is pretty unmitigated and is approching the border of being too much. I also think Bausch is one of those male authors who doesn't write women very well. That said, it's terrifically suspenseful (and a quick read). But this may be too stressful a read to recommend.
Shonna Froebel
Jan 08, 2014 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Very good.
Lynn
Dec 12, 2009 Lynn rated it really liked it
An intense crime novel which details the psychological trauma. Lots of description and very engaging.
Robert
Dec 20, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
Fun to read and a real page turner - sometimes predictable and characters under developed -
Linda
Aug 09, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Well written and interesting, but I'm not sure I got much out of it.
Diane
Dec 13, 2012 Diane rated it liked it
Suspense novel set in rural Virginia, a good scary read.
Sally Larson
Sally Larson rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Beigh Moin
Beigh Moin rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Gregory Mcknight
Gregory Mcknight marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Nathan Lewis
Nathan Lewis marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
OU WENXIN
OU WENXIN marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Loli
Loli marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
AshesJ
AshesJ marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Kendra Allen
Kendra Allen rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
nevaeh hope desilva
nevaeh hope desilva marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
mdwreadsbooks
mdwreadsbooks rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Shelly Delyzer
Shelly Delyzer marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Adam Dunnells
Adam Dunnells marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
  • Survivor
  • Joe Hill
  • Why Sinatra Matters
  • The Speed Queen
An acknowledged master of the short story form, Richard Bausch's work has appeared in The Atlantic Monthly, Esquire, Harper's, The New Yorker, Narrative, Gentleman's Quarterly. Playboy, The Southern Review, New Stories From the South, The Best American Short Stories, O. Henry Prize Stories, and The Pushcart Prize Stories; and they have been widely anthologized, including The Granta Book of the Ame ...more
More about Richard Bausch...