Start by marking “Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One” as Want to Read:
Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One

Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One (The Pain and the Great One #5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  27 reviews
What’s the difference between a friend and a fiend?

Jake is so embarrassed by a reading circle blunder, he vows never to speak in class again. Abigail believes she can no longer trust one of her best friends. Their teenage cousins have turned into fiends. And on the perfect snow day, who jumps on Jake and washes his face in snow? And who rescues him?
Published May 12th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One

The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMatilda by Roald DahlNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz
Books for ten-year-olds
85th out of 269 books — 268 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlNumber the Stars by Lois LowryThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Giver by Lois LowryAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
100 Books for my Eleven Year Old Self
81st out of 185 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Susie
This is a great "little brother/big sister" story. Jake,the Pain, and Abigail, the Great One share several fun adventures includng visiting their very strange relatives who live in New York and then celebrating their cat, Fluzzy's birthday. This book will keep you laughing and wanting to read more about the Pain and the Great One.
Katie
This was a great short book to listen to in the car with the kiddos. It was just over an hour and the reader was very good. Parents and kids both enjoyed it. I will have to read more of Judy Blume's younger novels to the kids.
Fadhilatul
Mar 23, 2013 Fadhilatul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Parents
Shelves: favorites
please visit: kilasbuku.blogspot.com

Ini adalah salah satu buku dari serial The Pain and the Great One. Siapa mereka? Tenang saja, di setiap buku serialnya akan selalu ada pengenalan mengenai yang mana yang disebut the Pain dan yang mana yang disebut the Great One. Jadi, jika kalian baru pertama kali membaca buku ini di pertengahan seri, tidak ada yang akan jadi masalah.

Jake, anak laki-laki kelas 1 SD, biasa dipanggil the Pain (Yang Menyedihkan) oleh kakak perempuannya yang 2 tahun lebih tua dari
Dolly
Jul 30, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a funny and sweet story (actually, it's a collection of short stories) about sibling relationships at the ages of 6 and 8. That's perfect for our girls, and although the dynamic is different in our house (with two girls instead of a girl and a boy), the love, the fights, the protectiveness, the encouragements and the competitiveness are still very much the same in many respects.

We enjoyed reading this book together and we really liked the whole series. I loved reading Judy Blume's stori
Jen
5 minutes of the audiobook made my ears symbolically bleed. No more. Poor story. I'll never know if it was any good because I'll never get that shrieky cackle out of my head.
Liz
Another collection of stories of the Pain and the Great One, thus time with a focus on friendships versus fiend-ships. Fluzzy's story at the end made me go "awwww!"
Aleah dvorak
This book is about "the pain" (jake) and "the great one" (abigail). In the book it goes back and forth between abigail and jake telling different chapters of the story. Every chapter is about something new and exciting! Jake has his mistakes and only eats white food which annoys abigail and abigail on the other hand is a drama queen! They fight a lot and according to abigail jake always gets his way and she feels that her parents love him more. I enjoyed this book because it held my interest and ...more
Cathy
The Pain and the Great One (aka little brother, Jake, and big sister, Abigail) are at it again - fighting and uniting.

I know everyone loves Judy Blume, but there are times in her books that I want to slam it shut so I don't have to listen to the whiny, pestering, annoying voice of either child as they argue with each other - just a little too realistic. It is like listening to my children and frankly, I am through with that!!! So definitely not my favorite book.
Julie
Some friends are having a "Judy Blume" book read thing on their blog, so I went tot he library to get some since I have never read Judy Blume books.
There were three books in our library and they were all in the childrens section so I basically read it in an hour!
It was alright. I am not a convert to Judy Blume just from this one book, but I think I would have enjoyed it as a kid.
Emily Shuler
This is the second book of a series of short stories about Jacob the pain and Abigail the great one. The siblings tell stories of embarrassment in front of the class, friends they can no longer trust, and their cat’s first birthday. In the class: This book could be used as a model of short stories, and then students could write their own short stories.
Jessica McIntyre
This is the second book of a series of short stories about Jacob the pain and Abigail the great one. The siblings tell stories of embarrassment in front of the class, friends they can no longer trust, and their cat’s first birthday. This book could be used as a model of short stories, and then students
could write their own short stories.
Liza
This collection of short stories about two siblings and the meaning of "friends" had potential for great lessons for kids. Unfortunately, annoying characters got in the way. I'm sure other books have better lessons about friendship without actually having bratty kids doing and saying things that I really hope my kids will not copy.
AnnaMay
These are my favorite books. It's about a girl named Abigail and a boy named Jacob. They're fun to read about because they're always arguing about funny things. I also like it because at the end of some of the stories, she'll have one of them doing something that they would never do before.
Melinda
An easy story to listen to, especially appropriate for siblings who tend to fight, tease and pester one another. Though this book is packed with all three, there are moments of conflict resolution, sibling appreciation and positive family togetherness.
Brenna
This book featured "The Pain" and "The Great One," a brother and sister who sometimes do not get along. The Pain's name is Jake and the Great One's name is Abigail. My mom liked to read books by Judy Blume when she was growing up.
Caren
I just love these books. I hope she keeps writing more for this growing series. If you don't know, the Pain is the little brother and the Great One is the older sister. Very fun.
Posy Mendoza
As ususal, Blume's voice is pretty true. Unfortunately the bickering kids got on my nerves. But that's what kids do, don't they. Would be a useful discussion book for a classroom.
Samantha Hastings
Check out my review on www.kissthebook.blogspot.com

2 stars because I thought the kids were bratty.
Shellee
These are fast reads. Not as good as the fudge books but deal with sibling rivalry.
Kelly Smith
Henry really liked this one. I liked the last chapter best.
Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein
Cute, but not nearly as good as July Blume's older stuff.
Sharon Kalman
Perfect book for either gender. 2nd-4th grade
Nowheregirl
These two kids are just too much :D. loved it :)
William
I'm learning I'm not a big fan of Judy Bloom.
Chris Hays
Not as good as Blume's other works.
Michele
Who doesn't love Judy Blume?
Denise Lauron
Denise Lauron marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • Rich: a Dyamonde Daniel Book
  • The Friendship Matchmaker
  • Iris and Walter
  • My No No No Day
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm
  • Mitch and Amy
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • A Magic Crystal? (Marvin Redpost)
  • Queen of the Dead (The Undertakers, #2)
  • Hailey Twitch Is Not a Snitch (Hailey Twitch, #1)
  • Partners (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa)
  • Popped Off
  • Ellie McDoodle: Best Friends Fur-Ever
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Horse Show (Saddle Club, #8)
  • I, Galileo
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
More about Judy Blume...

The Pain and the Great One (5 books)
  • The Pain and the Great One
  • Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One
  • Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One
  • Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1) Summer Sisters Superfudge (Fudge, #3) Forever