Start by marking “Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One” as Want to Read:
Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One

Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One (The Pain and the Great One #5)

What’s the difference between a friend and a fiend?

Jake is so embarrassed by a reading circle blunder, he vows never to speak in class again. Abigail believes she can no longer trust one of her best friends. Their teenage cousins have turned into fiends. And on the perfect snow day, who jumps on Jake and washes his face in snow? And who rescues him?
Published May 12th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friend or Fiend? with the Pain and the Great One

Conductoid by M.B. LehaneThe Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald Dahl
Books for ten-year-olds
101st out of 310 books — 410 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlNumber the Stars by Lois LowryThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Giver by Lois LowryAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
100 Books for my Eleven Year Old Self
80th out of 185 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie
This was a great short book to listen to in the car with the kids. It was just over an hour and the reader was very good. Parents and kids both enjoyed it. I will have to read more of Judy Blume's younger novels to the kids. (April 2011)

*Listened to this again - 4 years later and all 4 kids loved it. (June 2015) **
Susie
This is a great "little brother/big sister" story. Jake,the Pain, and Abigail, the Great One share several fun adventures includng visiting their very strange relatives who live in New York and then celebrating their cat, Fluzzy's birthday. This book will keep you laughing and wanting to read more about the Pain and the Great One.
Fadhilatul
Mar 23, 2013 Fadhilatul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Parents
Shelves: favorites
please visit: kilasbuku.blogspot.com

Ini adalah salah satu buku dari serial The Pain and the Great One. Siapa mereka? Tenang saja, di setiap buku serialnya akan selalu ada pengenalan mengenai yang mana yang disebut the Pain dan yang mana yang disebut the Great One. Jadi, jika kalian baru pertama kali membaca buku ini di pertengahan seri, tidak ada yang akan jadi masalah.

Jake, anak laki-laki kelas 1 SD, biasa dipanggil the Pain (Yang Menyedihkan) oleh kakak perempuannya yang 2 tahun lebih tua dari
Heather Moore
Sep 14, 2016 Heather Moore rated it it was amazing
Friend or fiend is part of a series of books written by Judy Bloom called the pain and the great one. This is a realistic fiction book that would be fun for a second or third grader to read. Friend or fiend is the story of Abigail and Jake, it discusses sibling relationships, friendships, and bullying. Some content concern would be that the book discusses diverse and bullying. I am going to recommend this book to my niece!
Mehreen
Sep 08, 2015 Mehreen rated it really liked it
This was the first Pain/Great One book I read and I thought it really played the Friend/Fiend theme pretty well. I like the changed viewpoints in this story, I enjoyed the first grade troubles compared with third grade troubles, and I really enjoyed Fluzzy the cat's story at the end. Totally cute for kids!
Dolly
Jul 30, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a funny and sweet story (actually, it's a collection of short stories) about sibling relationships at the ages of 6 and 8. That's perfect for our girls, and although the dynamic is different in our house (with two girls instead of a girl and a boy), the love, the fights, the protectiveness, the encouragements and the competitiveness are still very much the same in many respects.

We enjoyed reading this book together and we really liked the whole series. I loved reading Judy Blume's stori
Jen
Jan 05, 2015 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt_finish
5 minutes of the audiobook made my ears symbolically bleed. No more. Poor story. I'll never know if it was any good because I'll never get that shrieky cackle out of my head.
Liz
Feb 09, 2014 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Another collection of stories of the Pain and the Great One, thus time with a focus on friendships versus fiend-ships. Fluzzy's story at the end made me go "awwww!"
Kourteney Klima
Nov 16, 2015 Kourteney Klima rated it liked it
A little boy makes a mistake and says the word fiend instead of friend when reading out-loud. The class makes fun of him for days.
Aleah dvorak
May 15, 2012 Aleah dvorak rated it liked it
This book is about "the pain" (jake) and "the great one" (abigail). In the book it goes back and forth between abigail and jake telling different chapters of the story. Every chapter is about something new and exciting! Jake has his mistakes and only eats white food which annoys abigail and abigail on the other hand is a drama queen! They fight a lot and according to abigail jake always gets his way and she feels that her parents love him more. I enjoyed this book because it held my interest and ...more
Cathy
The Pain and the Great One (aka little brother, Jake, and big sister, Abigail) are at it again - fighting and uniting.

I know everyone loves Judy Blume, but there are times in her books that I want to slam it shut so I don't have to listen to the whiny, pestering, annoying voice of either child as they argue with each other - just a little too realistic. It is like listening to my children and frankly, I am through with that!!! So definitely not my favorite book.
Julie
Feb 27, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
Some friends are having a "Judy Blume" book read thing on their blog, so I went tot he library to get some since I have never read Judy Blume books.
There were three books in our library and they were all in the childrens section so I basically read it in an hour!
It was alright. I am not a convert to Judy Blume just from this one book, but I think I would have enjoyed it as a kid.
Emily Shuler
Nov 27, 2012 Emily Shuler rated it liked it
This is the second book of a series of short stories about Jacob the pain and Abigail the great one. The siblings tell stories of embarrassment in front of the class, friends they can no longer trust, and their cat’s first birthday. In the class: This book could be used as a model of short stories, and then students could write their own short stories.
Jessica McIntyre
Nov 20, 2012 Jessica McIntyre rated it liked it
This is the second book of a series of short stories about Jacob the pain and Abigail the great one. The siblings tell stories of embarrassment in front of the class, friends they can no longer trust, and their cat’s first birthday. This book could be used as a model of short stories, and then students
could write their own short stories.
Liza
Sep 12, 2013 Liza rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, liam
This collection of short stories about two siblings and the meaning of "friends" had potential for great lessons for kids. Unfortunately, annoying characters got in the way. I'm sure other books have better lessons about friendship without actually having bratty kids doing and saying things that I really hope my kids will not copy.
AnnaMay
Aug 23, 2011 AnnaMay rated it it was amazing
These are my favorite books. It's about a girl named Abigail and a boy named Jacob. They're fun to read about because they're always arguing about funny things. I also like it because at the end of some of the stories, she'll have one of them doing something that they would never do before.
Melinda
Sep 22, 2011 Melinda rated it liked it
An easy story to listen to, especially appropriate for siblings who tend to fight, tease and pester one another. Though this book is packed with all three, there are moments of conflict resolution, sibling appreciation and positive family togetherness.
Brenna
Jan 23, 2010 Brenna rated it really liked it
This book featured "The Pain" and "The Great One," a brother and sister who sometimes do not get along. The Pain's name is Jake and the Great One's name is Abigail. My mom liked to read books by Judy Blume when she was growing up.
Caren
Oct 01, 2009 Caren rated it really liked it
I just love these books. I hope she keeps writing more for this growing series. If you don't know, the Pain is the little brother and the Great One is the older sister. Very fun.
Posy Mendoza
As ususal, Blume's voice is pretty true. Unfortunately the bickering kids got on my nerves. But that's what kids do, don't they. Would be a useful discussion book for a classroom.
Samantha Hastings
Oct 24, 2009 Samantha Hastings rated it it was ok
Check out my review on www.kissthebook.blogspot.com

2 stars because I thought the kids were bratty.
Shellee
May 21, 2011 Shellee rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-book
These are fast reads. Not as good as the fudge books but deal with sibling rivalry.
Kelly Smith
Sep 20, 2012 Kelly Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: henry
Henry really liked this one. I liked the last chapter best.
Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein
Cute, but not nearly as good as July Blume's older stuff.
Sharon Kalman
Feb 07, 2013 Sharon Kalman rated it liked it
Perfect book for either gender. 2nd-4th grade
Nowheregirl
Oct 11, 2012 Nowheregirl rated it really liked it
These two kids are just too much :D. loved it :)
William
Oct 22, 2013 William rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
I'm learning I'm not a big fan of Judy Bloom.
Chris Hays
Apr 02, 2012 Chris Hays rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Not as good as Blume's other works.
Michele
Jan 18, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Judy Blume?
Paige Lemmon
Jun 25, 2012 Paige Lemmon rated it it was amazing
It was good!
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Why?: The War Years (26 Fairmount Avenue, #7)
  • Iris and Walter
  • Rich: a Dyamonde Daniel Book
  • My No No No Day
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm
  • Fred and Ted's Road Trip
  • Gooney Bird Is So Absurd
  • I, Galileo
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Spring Babies
  • The Friendship Matchmaker (The Friendship Matchmaker #1)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Annika Riz, Math Whiz
  • The Last Best Days of Summer
  • Horrible Harry Goes Cuckoo
  • Paddington Races Ahead (Paddington, #13)
  • Cat Days (Penguin Young Readers, L1)
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
More about Judy Blume...

The Pain and the Great One (5 books)
  • The Pain and the Great One