Start by marking “Somebody's Baby” as Want to Read:
Somebody's Baby

Somebody's Baby

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
On her death bed, Snow Devane's mother, Anne, admits a horrible truth: when Snow was a baby, Anne stole her from another woman's shopping cart in a grocery store. Faced with the sudden and devastating knowledge that the woman who lovingly raised her was not her birth mother, Snow embarks on a journey of self-discovery. Who was her real mother, and how does she find her? An ...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Mira Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody's Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody's Baby

Alison
Jul 30, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, kidnapping, nyc
This was a very interesting novel, about a young woman (Snow Devane) in her early 30's who finds out when her mother dies that she is not really her daughter but a child she had stolen from a supermarket in NYC at the age of seven months. This story deals with the feelings, Snow and friends go through when the truth is exposed and also deals with why she is the way she is, from having grown up with an overprotective mother. Good mystery and character study. I really enjoyed this read.
JoPaul
May 03, 2010 JoPaul rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
At first, it was a bit entertaining but for the 100 pages I put a lot of time and effort to read during midnights, the pages were innocuous, boring, and long-winded. She (the author) could have wrote the first 100 leaves for five pages. It was really not just what I would like it to be and what the reviews are stating. Sorry, but Allen wrote a tedious job with this book. I loved the plot, it's just how she wrote it that I am not in favor of.
Astrida
Aug 11, 2012 Astrida added it
Shelves: fiction
A woman's entire life is turned upside down by her mother's deathbed confession: Snow Devane was stolen as an infant and is someone else's baby.
When I finished this book I felt it was 'fair'. The characters were okay. Overall, I thought the book moved too slowly and sections were wordy. It bothered me that Snow's 'mother' was never identified.
Linda
Jan 30, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
The writing was good, interesting and flowed well, but the ending wasn't. An ending I mean. It seems like in most books you expect the story to be wrapped up. Otherwise it seems like the
contract you had with the author that you would read the story and they would tell it to you is
not being fulfilled.
Debby
Aug 09, 2015 Debby added it
Shelves: romance
Snow Devane's life is turned upside down when her mother, Anne Cooke dies suddenly. Just before she died, she told Snow she had kidnapped her in a New York supermarket as a baby.

Snow and her best friend Katie start a search to discover who Snow is and where her family is, and to discover who Anne was. Snow is fairly easily able to find news clippings about the kidnapping and is reunited with her mother. The other search doesn't go as well - ultimately they discover over 30 aliases/identities but
Heleen
Mar 23, 2015 Heleen rated it did not like it
I didn't like the book. There were too many loose ends at the end, and the main question: 'why did Anne Cooke kidnap Snow' wasn't answered. That was a big disappointment.
Jenn
Feb 22, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it
I really liked the plot but was disappointed when the book ended abruptly, I felt like the whole story hadn't unravelled yet.
Vivian
3.5-star read
Louise
Apr 04, 2009 Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Quite an interesting story of a girl named Snow, kidnapped as a baby from a grocery store. On her mother's (kidnappers) deathbed, she reveals to Snow that she had stolen her from another woman. Snow and her friend Katie set out to find her real identity, her biological mother and the real name of the woman who raised her.

From back cover:

"A woman's entire life is turned upside down by her monther's deathbed confession: Snow Devane was stolen as an infant and is someone else's child.

At thirty-one,
Mary
Nov 28, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would make a great 'Lifetime For Women' movie. I did like it, though it was a little sappy in places. It was not, however, a romance as the title may imply. A young lady finds out at the age of 30ish, that the woman she thought was her mother was, in actuality, her kidnapper. While much of the remainder of the story is about the main character finding her real family, it is also about being confronted by life changes. While she does find her birth mother, she also finds that the woman ...more
Nicole
Jul 12, 2015 Nicole rated it it was ok
I liked all the characters in the book except for the main character of Snow. I found her extremely self-involved and whinny. The ending was a little less than satisfying, with too many loose ends.
Cindy
Jun 23, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Even though I enjoyed this story overall, I still believe that the author left a lot of loose ends after the story ended. Since this is only the second book that I've read by Vale Allen, I don't know if this is her "trademark" or not, or if she is setting us up for a sequel.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed learning about Snow Devane's journey into her past. I wish we could have learned more about who Anne Cooke was, and her motivations behind her abduction of a baby girl so many years before. Also, I ho
Stacie Heyen
May 24, 2011 Stacie Heyen rated it it was amazing
I love this book. For me, its one of those that I love to read every few years. I dont really read romances, but this is beyond your typical romance.

Snow is a young woman (30-32 forget exactly) who finds out that in 1963, she was kidnapped, and raised by her kidnapper. She always assumed her mother was, well her mother. Her mother dies of a heartacck, and admits the kidnapping to her. This book is Snow's journey to not just finding her family, but finding herself.
Sharon
Jun 03, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time reading a book by this author, I was pleasantly surprised. The story grabbed me from the first page. Although part of the story line had to be repeated for various characters throughout the story, I was anxious to finish to see how this book ended. It was a good read and I recommend.
Jeffrey Stalk
A woman finds out that she was stolen as a baby and sets out to find her real mother. It is written in a very detached tone and that did not work for me.
Tonya
Aug 01, 2009 Tonya rated it liked it
I liked, however I did feel that some chapters were all over the place. She could left some of the random stuff out.
Reading For Sanity
Jul 13, 2009 Reading For Sanity rated it it was ok
read this review and others at http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com/...
Judy
Mar 25, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
Enjoyable, quick read. At the end I couldn't put it down. I did not like the main character Snow at all.
Clara Weinberger
Aug 07, 2015 Clara Weinberger rated it it was amazing
Due we know who we really are at times. She thought one thing and found another.
Donna
Jun 30, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
I was reminded of this book and decided to retread. I very much enjoyed the story again.
Karen
Sep 17, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
It held my interest from beginning to end. Very good book.
Roberta Odocayen
Mar 12, 2013 Roberta Odocayen rated it it was amazing
I thought this was good , Kept my interest
Nancy
Nov 28, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This book was AMAZING!! LOVED IT!!
Cws
M All
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toos Met Boxer Kiara
Toos Met Boxer Kiara marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Reba
Reba marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Hanna
Hanna rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Chenoa
Chenoa rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
  • Reawakened Passions
  • Taboo
  • Marley and Me: The Real Bob Marley Story
  • The Girl with the Botticelli Eyes
  • She's On Top (Awesome Foursome, #4)
  • Slow Train to Switzerland: One Tour, Two Trips, 150 Years - and a World of Change Apart
  • Fine Art Wedding Photography: How to Capture Images with Style for the Modern Bride
  • Witnessed: The True Story of the Brooklyn Bridge UFO Abductions
  • East of the Sun
  • Making Things Better
  • Some Kind of Miracle: A Novel
  • The Girl in the Orange Dress: Searching for a Father Who Does Not Fail
  • The Lust Garden
  • Being Emily
  • Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)
  • Ride With Me
Charlotte Vale-Allen was born in Toronto and lived in England from 1961 to 1964 where she worked as a television actress and singer. She returned to Toronto briefly, performing as a singer and in cabaret revues until she emigrated to the United States in 1966.

Shortly after her marriage to Walter Allen in 1970 she began writing and sold her first novel Love Life in 1974. Prior to this book's public
More about Charlotte Vale Allen...