Somebody's Baby

Somebody's Baby

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
On her death bed, Snow Devane's mother, Anne, admits a horrible truth: when Snow was a baby, Anne stole her from another woman's shopping cart in a grocery store. Faced with the sudden and devastating knowledge that the woman who lovingly raised her was not her birth mother, Snow embarks on a journey of self-discovery. Who was her real mother, and how does she find her? An...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Mira Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody's Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody's Baby

JoPaul
At first, it was a bit entertaining but for the 100 pages I put a lot of time and effort to read during midnights, the pages were innocuous, boring, and long-winded. She (the author) could have wrote the first 100 leaves for five pages. It was really not just what I would like it to be and what the reviews are stating. Sorry, but Allen wrote a tedious job with this book. I loved the plot, it's just how she wrote it that I am not in favor of.
Louise
Quite an interesting story of a girl named Snow, kidnapped as a baby from a grocery store. On her mother's (kidnappers) deathbed, she reveals to Snow that she had stolen her from another woman. Snow and her friend Katie set out to find her real identity, her biological mother and the real name of the woman who raised her.

From back cover:

"A woman's entire life is turned upside down by her monther's deathbed confession: Snow Devane was stolen as an infant and is someone else's child.

At thirty-one,...more
Mary
This book would make a great 'Lifetime For Women' movie. I did like it, though it was a little sappy in places. It was not, however, a romance as the title may imply. A young lady finds out at the age of 30ish, that the woman she thought was her mother was, in actuality, her kidnapper. While much of the remainder of the story is about the main character finding her real family, it is also about being confronted by life changes. While she does find her birth mother, she also finds that the woman...more
Cindy
Jun 23, 2009 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Even though I enjoyed this story overall, I still believe that the author left a lot of loose ends after the story ended. Since this is only the second book that I've read by Vale Allen, I don't know if this is her "trademark" or not, or if she is setting us up for a sequel.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed learning about Snow Devane's journey into her past. I wish we could have learned more about who Anne Cooke was, and her motivations behind her abduction of a baby girl so many years before. Also, I ho...more
Clara Weinberger
Due we know who we really are at times. She thought one thing and found another.
Stacie Heyen
I love this book. For me, its one of those that I love to read every few years. I dont really read romances, but this is beyond your typical romance.

Snow is a young woman (30-32 forget exactly) who finds out that in 1963, she was kidnapped, and raised by her kidnapper. She always assumed her mother was, well her mother. Her mother dies of a heartacck, and admits the kidnapping to her. This book is Snow's journey to not just finding her family, but finding herself.
Astrida
Aug 11, 2012 Astrida added it
Shelves: fiction
A woman's entire life is turned upside down by her mother's deathbed confession: Snow Devane was stolen as an infant and is someone else's baby.
When I finished this book I felt it was 'fair'. The characters were okay. Overall, I thought the book moved too slowly and sections were wordy. It bothered me that Snow's 'mother' was never identified.
Linda
The writing was good, interesting and flowed well, but the ending wasn't. An ending I mean. It seems like in most books you expect the story to be wrapped up. Otherwise it seems like the
contract you had with the author that you would read the story and they would tell it to you is
not being fulfilled.
Sharon
First time reading a book by this author, I was pleasantly surprised. The story grabbed me from the first page. Although part of the story line had to be repeated for various characters throughout the story, I was anxious to finish to see how this book ended. It was a good read and I recommend.
Jeffrey Stalk
A woman finds out that she was stolen as a baby and sets out to find her real mother. It is written in a very detached tone and that did not work for me.
Tonya
I liked, however I did feel that some chapters were all over the place. She could left some of the random stuff out.
Judy
Enjoyable, quick read. At the end I couldn't put it down. I did not like the main character Snow at all.
Donna
I was reminded of this book and decided to retread. I very much enjoyed the story again.
Karen
It held my interest from beginning to end. Very good book.
Roberta Odocayen
I thought this was good , Kept my interest
Nancy
This book was AMAZING!! LOVED IT!!
Cws
M All
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's The Name o...: 1980's family drama/mystery [s] 3 24 Mar 31, 2014 12:33AM
Charlotte Vale-Allen was born in Toronto and lived in England from 1961 to 1964 where she worked as a television actress and singer. She returned to Toronto briefly, performing as a singer and in cabaret revues until she emigrated to the United States in 1966.

Shortly after her marriage to Walter Allen in 1970 she began writing and sold her first novel Love Life in 1974. Prior to this book's public...more
More about Charlotte Vale Allen...
Night Magic Parting Gifts Dreaming in Color Fresh Air Grace Notes