Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew

Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,071 ratings  ·  153 reviews
Author Amy Karol, whose Angry Chicken is one of the best-loved craft blogs on the Web, brings stitchers everywhere a down-to-earth introduction to sewing, including thirty projects so adorable and cool they’ll inspire anyone to pick up a needle and thread.

Written with Amy’s characteristic warmth and flair, you’ll find information on basic equipment and supplies, advice on...more
Published June 19th 2007 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Bend-the-Rules Sewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bend-the-Rules Sewing

Erin
I've checked this book out from the library about 4 times thinking it's either Amy Butler's In Stitches or Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing both of which have projects more geared toward someone like myself: Happily childfree. Pretty pictures, though, and some beautiful fabric options.
Evan
A wonderful resource for those that have just discovered the joy of sewing. It's filled with simple projects for beginners, and takes the pressure off following strict directions.
Tristy
I really, really wanted to like this book more. The projects are adorable but yet again, as with many craft how-to books, the instructions are really not clear for many of the projects. It seems to be a theme with these "hipster" craft books - clear instruction are sacrificed to make the design of the book layout look pretty.
Lu
Meh. I wasn't super impressed by the techniques or the patterns included, though I'm about to start sewing some of the cute little headbands...I guess I had really high expectations for Amy since I love her blog. I'd skip buying the book, rent if from the library, or better yet, just go to her Angry Chicken blog.
Darcie Kileen
Fun ideas for beginning-to-intermediate sewers (seamstresses?). Some of the instructions were a little lacking--I had to figure out a few missing steps on my own--but I liked the variety of projects included.
DeerDominique
Sep 01, 2007 DeerDominique is currently reading it
Shelves: sewcrafty
I've yet to complete a project from the book, I bought the book for the kids hat pattern specifically. It is a well done book, the projects would be great for an actual novice.
Aja Marsh
i wasn't aware of her blog before getting this book from the library, but i did at first assume it would be more about garments, so my perception of the book is a bit skewed. mostly i'm not that interested in many non-garment type sewing books unless i'm after something very specific, as i'm pretty ok at just winging bags, pillows, and the like, so nothing here was really out of my league, but i liked her low-key attitude to sewing which was nice to read in the midst of a lot of books that make...more
Jaimee
Aug 21, 2008 Jaimee added it
So far, I've made the bibs, the charming handbag, the pleated beauty handbag, and the no-cash wallet.... and they've all been relatively easy and fun to do. Amy Karol has written this in a generally clear way (although the hand-drawn diagrams could sometimes be clearer) and the projects are fun to do.

I really like that everything takes only a little bit of time and fabric to accomplish- it really is encouraging to have finished projects to spur you onto trying something new. It's very satisfyin...more
Lily
Update. I worked on the tote bag all day today. I'm very dissapointed, not with the bag, but some of the directions and fabric measurements. The bag is really small. I didn't realize it was so small. The strap size is so thick compared to the bag. The book looks cute but the projects are just ok. I know It's bend your rules but the directions should be tweaked or other options should be given. I do plan on making the tote again but bigger and with same size straps.

I'm going to try a few project...more
Amy
I recently discovered the new book, Bend-the-Rules Sewing, by Amy Karol. I am most definitely a "bend-the-rules" kind of gal when it comes to crafting. If there's a shortcut that won't ruin the integrity of my work then I'll take it!

If the name Amy Karol sounds familiar, it's probably because you've seen her blogs, Angry Chicken and Tie One On (about all things aprony). Speaking of aprons, there's some great ones in this book!

In fact, there are 30 great designs in this book (including the pillow...more
Kellie
I am a total novice and this book was easy enough to understand, fun to read, and the patterns are very cute. I hate paper patterns so I appreciate that they aren't necessary for many of the projects. I do think that Aimee Ray's Doodle Stitching book does a better job at describing how to do some of the hand stitches, but the bottom line is that that kind of stuff is hard to describe and illustrate so it might be necessary to find a video on youtube. I see that some people felt like there were s...more
Melissa
I changed my review of this book after trying a few of the projects. The book is full of lovely photographs & cute fabrics & is written in a fun way. There are some great tips for a beginner (including not using vintage sheets for fabric, as they are fabric blends that will not press well). However, the project instructions are very unclear. Some of the measurements are incorrect, which could lead to a lot of frustration for a beginning sewer. The ideas are good as jumping off points, bu...more
Jo
I've had this book on my radar for some time. I love the title and the idea of bending sewing rules and doing it differently. The photographs are lovely, the tone of writing friendly and approachable. The intro & basics section is thorough & helpful for beginners. There are no patterns which is rule bending of a sort and liberating for those allergic to patterns. The book is a bit of a let down in the instructive department with minimal written and as for the diagrams...I think they woul...more
Alison
Another great sewing book, this one focusing on accessories (and a couple of pieces of kids' clothing) for those who aren't interesting in sewing clothes just yet. Karol goes over some basics of sewing and fabric, and then jumps into her patterns. They include the clutch shown on the cover, some great tote bags, and several other projects for your home. All of them are very cute, and I really enjoyed the chatty style of the pattern descriptions. The patterns themselves are presented at the back...more
Juliezs
Nov 05, 2008 Juliezs rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is interested in learning to sew!
Shelves: library, read-in-2008
If I was a brand-new to sewing person, this book would be absolutely perfect. I love her enthusiastic approach to spreading the word about how much fun sewing things for yourself, your family and home is. She admits that it probably isn't cheaper these days, but that it is still worth doing if you want to. All the basic info is in here, tools, basic seams and construction techniques, even some surface design ideas. There were a few ideas for handbags that I found to be useful and new to me, the...more
Holly Booms Walsh
Nov 27, 2007 Holly Booms Walsh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning or hobby sewers
Shelves: crafting
This is by far the best, clearest, easiest book to get you sewing if you have never done it before, or you are rusty at it. It is a beginner's guide with tips and tricks about sewing machines, zippers, seams, interfacing, fabrics, threads, and sewing tools and terms. The tone is informal, there are lots of illustrations, and a ton of great simple projects (coasters, handbags, tote bags, makeup bags, kid's clothing, pillows, placemats, and much more) that will get you salivating to make gifts for...more
Chris
I'm still what I'd consider a novice sewer, and some of the projects in this book seem a little beyond my current skills. But the book itself is really well made and thought out, and the pictures of the finished projects are lovely. I've already made one of the "vintage" aprons, and the small quilt is up next (as soon as I get through the knitting project I've ignored all summer, that is). I do like the author's overall idea that sewing should be less structured and more creative. So while I'm n...more
LeAnne
Feb 22, 2008 LeAnne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any sewer
I have been sewing for awhile, not a seamstress by any stretch, and found a lot of helpful tips. Additionally, I appreciated the way this book was written. The instructions were to the point without missing any important information. I would have loved to have this book when I was younger and just learning how to sew.

The projects are wonderful and you can totally make them "your own". I would highly recommend this to anyone, regardless of sewing ability!

I borrowed this book from my library and...more
A pretty good, simple introduction to the basics of sewing. I'm excited to try some of these projects once I get over my fear of my sewing machine, and in the meantime I may even sew some of the simpler ones by hand. My biggest problem with this book is that the projects are not photographed well - in many cases the one small photo doesn't even show the entire item. Also, the author's explanations of the steps involved to make each project seem sparse. I'll update my rating though, if necessary,...more
Jessie (saxgrl1)
Aug 02, 2009 Jessie (saxgrl1) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sewers
Shelves: crafts
This is the first book I got when I bought my new sewing machine. I've done a few projects out of it (bib and soft turtle buddy). The pictures and ideas are great. Instructions are simple and easy for a return sewer. There are lots of helpful information at the beginning like supplies (with descriptions), fabric tips, sewing definitions and basic sewing techniques. There are a variety of projects that can fit most people's lives from bags to childrens wear to placemats to aprons. Definately wort...more
Heather
I love cute craft books, however I rarely buy them or I'd have a houseful! What's great about this one is full of simple, attractive projects that even the sewing neophyte (like me, the perpetual sewing beginner) can complete. I did one easy project when I first got this book, then life got busy. I think it's high time that I tried another one, it's been a couple years since I flipped through the pages.

Amy Karol's voice throughout this book make going through the steps of each project a fun read...more
Allanna
THIS book is a book that makes me WANT to sew ... and makes me think that maybe I COULD manage to sew something without wanting to rip my eyeballs out.

I'm so glad that I found this at our local library. I'd been wanting to read it for AGES.

There are some cute sewing ideas, even for people who've been successfully sewing for years. And the directions are written with sweet humor and are so clear!

This sewing manual is my favorite so far. ^_^
Megan
Fun and nicely designed--great photography and cute projects. I have just started sewing, and sometimes I'm not quite sure what she means and I have to figure it out--a little more explanation would be helpful. I made art smocks for my girls for Valentine's day using the little unfinished jacket pattern and they turned out wonderfully. I like that she encourages you to find your own sense of creativity to create your own style of sewing.
Kelly Cooke
This book is really great. I amazed myself by starting and nearly finishing the "swing swing smock" in ONE evening. This would be my second project completed since the drawstring bag I made in seventh grade home economics. I would have finished it last night, but my bobbin ran out of thread and I have to call someone to remember how to put more on. Liz!

This book is also why I have not been reading. I've been sewing!
Michelle BF
Lots of basic sewing tips (yes, even I learned something from them and I don't normally peruse those parts of the sewing books) and projects. Cute pillows, placemats, bags, aprons and yes, blankets. Once again I am hampered by my lack-of-time problem.

Bend-the-rules Sewing
Mimi
Aug 16, 2008 Mimi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crafters and people that need to chill out
Recommended to Mimi by: Adam Jones
Shelves: art-craft, charming
Amy has the most amazing way of helping you feel comfortable around a sewing machine. Her projects are simple but ever so charming and useful. This book is perfect for those of us (ahem!) that over think our craftiness and end up not making anything at all!

My plan is to work my way through each project and use the results either to keep or use as gifts. By the end I wshould be a pro! (That's not too much to take on is it? Sheesh.)
Sara
Sep 19, 2007 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sewing
The one thing I was didn't really like about this books is that she gives you measurments for the patterns, so you have to measure and cut everything yourself. It makes it a bit of a pain when you don't know how many yards of fabric you need and I'm not that good at doing the math. When I took the book with me to the fabric store it took the ladies cutting the fabric for me a while to figure out how much fabric I needed.
Inder
I LOVE Amy Karol - check out her blog, The Angry Chicken. There are some great ideas in this book. The only reason it's getting four stars from me rather than five is that I wish it went a little FURTHER ... it's a great book for beginners, but it just needs a few more challenging projects to keep the interest of those of us who have a little more skill and were hoping for full-on Amy Karol awesomeness.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafty
love this book. i bought it in a hormonal snit near the end of my pregnancy when i decided i wanted to learn to sew. it covers the basics nicely. i'm a fly by the seat of my pants sort of girl who gets frustrated with patterns and lots of steps, so her method of instruction works nicely for me. if you want a lot of detail and step by steps, it might not be the book for you.
Beth
WOW! I love Amy Karol's blog, Angry Chicken. And as I embark on my sewing journey, her book has been inspiring and I have even started a project with the help of her book. Her directions are clear and easy to understand. And her style is lovely.
Highly recommend this book if you are beginning sewing or even a seasoned sewer. She has fun projects and ideas to inspire all!
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Doodle Stitching: Fresh & Fun Embroidery for Beginners
Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More Bend the Rules Gift Labels