Crogan's Vengeance

Crogan's Vengeance (Crogan Adventures #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The debut volume in an ongoing series of historical adventures focusing on the various branches of the fictional Crogan Family Tree. In Crogan's Vengeance, "Catfoot" Crogan is an able-bodied mariner plying his trade for a dastardly "legitimate" captain with a grudge against Crogan for a slight committed well before he was born. But when his ship is taken by pirates, will C...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by Oni Press (first published October 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crogan's Vengeance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crogan's Vengeance

It starts a little moralistic, but quickly gets past then an on to an gripping adventure on the high seas. Crogan is a young sailor who's persecuted for his family history by an insane round-head captain. Soon, their ship is attacked by pirates and Crogan makes some decisions that save himself and the crew, but have troubling implications further along the story. There are lessons to be learned here, but they aren't simple or sugary. People get hurt and people are killed. These are pirates, not...more
Will Read
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Cybils nominee.

Summary: The first in a proposed series to chronicle the adventures of the fathers and sons of a family throughout history. This book tells the story of how "Catfoot" Crogan became a pirate, starting off as an honest sailor.

Comments: This is a book for boys; there is not a single female character in sight and that's all right because the world aboard a 1701 English sailing ship is no place a woman would be found. All the horrible aspects of sailing life are exp...more
Mandy
Eric find himself in trouble because of going back to fix a problem he and his friends caused at a neighbor’s house. As he talks to his dad about it, his dad shares a story about one of their ancestors, Cat-Foot Crogan, who faced a similar dilemma…
The captain of the ship Cat Foot Crogan is shipmate of has a grudge towards Crogan because he and his grandfather had political differences. The captain constantly accuses Crogan of being arrogant and mocking him when in fact, Crogan does all he can to...more
Sarah Sammis
Crogan's Vengeance by Chris Schweizer is the first of a planned sixteen volume graphic novel series that covers the adventures of the Crogan family through three centuries. This volume was short listed for the graphics novel category for the 2009 Cybils. I read it as a panel judge.

At first I was excited to jump into the book. It's a nice hard cover with an obvious pirate theme as shown by the artwork on the cover. Although the series is aimed at boys, I grew up reading pirate stories, watching p...more
Jacki
Summary: To entertain and illustrate a moral to his young son, a father tells the story of their ancestor Catfoot Crogan, a turn-of-the-18th-century pirate! Crogan begins as an honest sailor but is impressed into a pirate ship's crew, where he witnesses all manner of bloodshed, mayhem, and mutiny.

Verdict: It shivered me timbers! That's fake-pirate-talk for, awesome!

Yay!: Crogan could kick Jack Sparrow's butt all the way to world's end. The art is black and white but easy to follow. Somehow it ma...more
Nicole
Initially I thought this graphic novel would be a turn-off for me because of the illustration style - black and white with thick black lines, and picture frames that are almost taken over by the drawn text. HOWEVER, the story was incredibly engaging, the artwork was strangely compelling, and I can't wait to read the next volumes in the series :)
Erin Kelly
Jan 07, 2011 Erin Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially fans of historical fiction
Shelves: library
The only thing I liked more than Crogan's Vengence is the concept of the series: a man with a very extensive family tree telling the stories of his adventurous family to his kids. There's a definite "moral" or "lesson" in this book, and I'd assume it follows in the later volumes of the series (note from the future: it does), but it was handled well without being too heavy-handed.

Crogan's Vengence specifically concerns one of the earliest members of the Crogan family, the pirate Catfoot Crogan, w...more
Paul
I'm intrigued to see how this series develops, as this first volume concerns a pirate, but the overall series is to deal with the Crogan family throughout history...rogues and adventurers all. It's a massive undertaking that Schweizer has set his sights upon, and this first volume really has a lot of promise for the future.

Needs to smooth out some of his transitions, as there were probably seven or eight sections of the book that leapt about a little too precipitously, including one that may we...more
Bryson Kopf
This is the first book in what will hopefully be an extensive series; the framing device is a father tells his children about their adventurous ancestors, and valuable lessons their lives illustrate. In Vengeance, we meet 'Catfoot' Crogan, a sailor who is forced into piracy by some really horrendous bad luck. From here Crogan has to make some terrible choices, but always stays true to trying to do the right thing, which pays off in the end. There are lots of fun sword fights, crazy storms, and p...more
Andy Shuping
brief notes for bigger review later (maybe): this is the first book in a series about Crogan's family and it's framed as a father telling his sons aspects of the family's history. It does have some morals to it, but mostly they're morals about being true to yourself (or in the case of pirates being true to the code.) The characters are well rounded and the story is engaging, especially to young male readers (there aren't any female characters, but that's to be expected due to the time period and...more
Khairul H.
Rollicking adventure of Catfoot Crogan who reluctantly became a pirate in the 18th century. This is the first of a sixteen volume series chronicling the adventures of the Crogan men (and only men) as told by the present-world Dr. Crogan to his sons. Oh, there's supposedly a moral to all the stories but I hardly noticed what with all the buckling of swashes, firing of cannons and stabbing of a shark. Well the moral was that even when you're in dire circumstances you must still do the right thing...more
Jeanne
I'm not a fair judge because I am not a fan of graphic novels. However, I read this one because I wanted to decide if it needs a YA label. Booklist says grade 7 and SLJ says grade 8. It's a little violent (a hateful minister is killed by pirates), but not worse than what kids see on television. There is also one crude reference to a mother. However, I would not consider this a "high school" book, so I'm going without the YA label.
Jessica
A fun historical graphic novel series for about 4-7th graders. Each book in the Crogan Adventures tells the story of a member of the Crogan family - Crogan's Vengeance concerns a pirate. This one was my favorite and in my opinion the most fun. Each title starts with the present day Crogan kids fighting or something of that nature, and their father tells them a story about their ancestors (who were all somehow super interesting guys!).
Anna Kim
This is the start of a great series. I recommend this for anyone looking for a good graphic novel kids who are in upper elementary to middle school. From what I can tell of this book and the second in the series, Schweizer embeds different character lessons, but he does so without being preachy. The stories are action-packed, but full of depth and each character is rounded out nicely.
Shannon
Young Shannon would have gobbled up this whole series. I picked this up because one of the newer books was an Eisner nominee this year and I figured I'd start at the first book. A bit violent for my 2nd/3rd graders, but nothing excessive, and the pirate does try to do the right thing as much as a pirate can.
Joan Lloyd
When I was a kid, I lived comic books. Loved them, and spent my allowance on one or two a week. Now they are called graphic novels and, sadly, I just can't make them work for me. I guess a really good story written (and I use the term loosely) in this form might just capture my interest. This ain't it!!!
Cait
I had the pleasure of meeting Chris Schweizer at 221B Con in Atlanta, so I had to find the first of his graphic novels in this series and check it out. I love his style and the historical background of the story. I'll be seeking out the other books in the series in the near future!
Rad
AWESOME

So, the artwork is cool and cartoony, the story is riveting and action-packed, the characters are all what they're supposed to be. It's hard to describe what it is that I like so much about this graphic novel. All I can tell you is that I LOVE IT.

LOVE IT.
Nick
The first in a potential marathon series, Crogan's Vengeance is a fun, swash-buckling affair, that captures the spirit of the children's tale it proclaims to be, while offering enough gritty violence to satisfy adult readers, with some wild-timed humor to boot.
Sage Latorra
Wonderfully cartoony art, but the plot didn't quite grab me. I'll stick around for at least one more volume though, I think the Crogan clan connections may make the difference.
Michael
One of the best pirate stories ever. The modern-day framing sequence isn't necessary, but the vast majority of the book is just great, swashbuckling adventure.
Andrew
A fun adventure comic, marred by an awkwardly moralistic framing device. Those looking for a no-frills, historical action story could do far worse.
Jaime
This book by Chris Schweizer (and the series) makes me so happy. Excellent story teller. Can't wait to introduce this to kids.
Ingvard the Terrible
The start of what promises to be an awesome series. Love Chris's brushwork. Kind of wish it were in color, though.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Fun dialogue, plot & art. Good for younger teens. An enjoyable read that would work in many collections.
Steve
A rollicking pirate adventure. Definitely worth reading.
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Token
  • Broxo
  • Bayou Vol. 1
  • Marathon
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • Cow Boy A Boy and His Horse
  • Spera Volume 1
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • The Dreamer Vol 1: The Consequence of Nathan Hale
  • Miss Don't Touch Me: Vol. 1
  • The Shadow Door (The Elsewhere Chronicles, #1)
Crogan's March Crogan's Loyalty Tricky Coyote Tales (Tricky Journeys, #1) Tricky Rabbit Tales (Tricky Journeys, #2) Tricky Fox Tales (Tricky Journeys, #3)