Start by marking “The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories” as Want to Read:
The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories

The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories, Julio Ortega and Carlos Fuentes present the most compelling short fiction from Mexico to Chile. Surreal, poetic, naturalistic, urbane, peasant-born: All styles intersect and play, often within a single piece. There is "The Handsomest Drown Man in the World," the García Márquez fable of a village overcome by the power of human ...more
Published December 5th 2000 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories

Tuck
Mar 09, 2016 Tuck rated it really liked it
39 stories, so all over the place style and author wise. as expected no? has many famous names, borges 'the aleph' ; onetti 'hell most feared' , and many many i did not know, but would be fun to read more of these fascinating and little known (in usa in 2016?) storyists, like ampuero 'taxi driver, minus robert de niro" and fresan "national sovereignty"
has author bios and copyrights list. pre-21st century.
Adam
Jul 11, 2007 Adam rated it liked it
Probability states that anthologies will probably get three stars even. Very nice snack-sized intro to the literature of a continent: the over-self-conscious mind games of the Argentines, the fantastical landscapes and dream realms of the Mexicans, the overall preoccupation with aging, wise men and death. And oh man what García Márquez can do in five pages.

(n.b. I only read about half the stories.)
Danica
Nov 30, 2011 Danica marked it as sadly-abandoned
I really liked the Onetti short (it had something to do with Hell in its title) and enjoyed the opportunity to revisit Julio Cortazar's Blow-Up (which I completely misunderstood as a stripling of 17 -- who knew it was so much more predatory an encounter than first conceived?), but found many of the other translations wooden/clunky/insert critical word of choice here. A shame.
Nik Korba
Apr 21, 2015 Nik Korba rated it liked it
There are some very enjoyable stories in here, but overall I feel it was too broad in the styles that it brought together. It was challenging for me to transition between stories.
David
Sep 22, 2014 David rated it it was ok
Overall it was hard to read. Half the stories made very little sense to me. They were probably very symbolic?

The ones I liked:

The Third Bank of the River (Joao Guimaraes Rosa)
a man abandons his family and spends the rest of his life in a rowboat at a nearby lake.

Luvina (Juan Rulfo)
about harsh rural areas and the people who survive there.

Bukhara Nocturne (Sergio Pitol)
a couple guys make up a story to a girl about to travel, and it comes true.

A Brief Reappearance by Florence (Alfredo Bryce Eche
Sylvie
Aug 01, 2012 Sylvie rated it did not like it
I borrowed this book from the public library because it contains one story by Moacyr Scliar.

I had never heard of Scliar until I came upon his name while doing research on the book "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.

I read "Life of Pi" a long time ago. When I read it I was in some kind of mood, I don't remember what kind, but it wasn't good. I read "Life of Pi" quickly, just wanting to get it over with. How could I have done that? It's such a great book.

"Life of Pi" has been made into a movie and I'm
Bailey Robertson
Apr 16, 2011 Bailey Robertson rated it it was ok
I had to read it for a class, but after I stopped the class, I decided to keep reading it to broaden my horizons. I'm just not a big fan of the Latin American stories. I found them hard to relate to, and not at all interesting. But that's just a personal opinion.
Warda Youssif
Jan 15, 2013 Warda Youssif rated it it was ok
Judy
Aug 06, 2009 Judy marked it as to-read
i love the eclectic collection of writers.
Gregg
Gregg marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Dani
Dani is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Sergio Navarro
Sergio Navarro rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2016
Clair
Clair is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2016
Matías
Matías marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Sandy Coburn
Sandy Coburn is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Jorge A.
Jorge A. is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2016
Jessica Feuerstein
Jessica Feuerstein rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Julie T
Julie T marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Victoria Van Vlear
Victoria Van Vlear rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Eric Bacon
Eric Bacon rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Mikaela
Mikaela marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Liv
Liv marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Bambi Johnson
Bambi Johnson marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Roy Stories
  • The African Shore
  • We Saw Spain Die: Foreign Correspondents in the Spanish Civil War
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2013
  • Che: A Graphic Biography
Escritor, crítico peruano y profesor de la Universidad de Brown en Estados Unidos. Autor de "Una poética del cambio" (1992), "El principio radical de lo nuevo" (1997), "Trasatlantic Translations" (2006) y "Rubén Darío y la lectura mutua" (2004), entre otros textos. De su trabajo más reciente destaca "El hacer poético" (2011) en colaboración con María Ramírez Ribes.
More about Julio Ortega...