The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories

The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories, Julio Ortega and Carlos Fuentes present the most compelling short fiction from Mexico to Chile. Surreal, poetic, naturalistic, urbane, peasant-born: All styles intersect and play, often within a single piece. There is "The Handsomest Drown Man in the World," the García Márquez fable of a village overcome by the power of human...more
Published December 5th 2000 by Vintage

Sylvie
I borrowed this book from the public library because it contains one story by Moacyr Scliar.

I had never heard of Scliar until I came upon his name while doing research on the book "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel.

I read "Life of Pi" a long time ago. When I read it I was in some kind of mood, I don't remember what kind, but it wasn't good. I read "Life of Pi" quickly, just wanting to get it over with. How could I have done that? It's such a great book.

"Life of Pi" has been made into a movie and I'm...more
Adam
Probability states that anthologies will probably get three stars even. Very nice snack-sized intro to the literature of a continent: the over-self-conscious mind games of the Argentines, the fantastical landscapes and dream realms of the Mexicans, the overall preoccupation with aging, wise men and death. And oh man what García Márquez can do in five pages.

(n.b. I only read about half the stories.)
Danica
Nov 30, 2011 Danica marked it as sadly-abandoned
I really liked the Onetti short (it had something to do with Hell in its title) and enjoyed the opportunity to revisit Julio Cortazar's Blow-Up (which I completely misunderstood as a stripling of 17 -- who knew it was so much more predatory an encounter than first conceived?), but found many of the other translations wooden/clunky/insert critical word of choice here. A shame.
Bailey Robertson
I had to read it for a class, but after I stopped the class, I decided to keep reading it to broaden my horizons. I'm just not a big fan of the Latin American stories. I found them hard to relate to, and not at all interesting. But that's just a personal opinion.
Warda Youssif
Judy
Aug 06, 2009 Judy marked it as to-read
i love the eclectic collection of writers.
Hannah Decatur
Hannah Decatur marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Sudeshna
Sudeshna is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2014
Valerie Lindemann
Valerie Lindemann marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2014
Lisa Dibbern
Lisa Dibbern marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Aleš Lednik
Aleš Lednik is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2014
Sujeet
Sujeet marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Astrid Mieryteran Jibaja
Astrid Mieryteran Jibaja marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Dusty!
Dusty! marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2014
Miranda Nixon
Miranda Nixon marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Dora Carson
Dora Carson marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Andrew Farrell
Andrew Farrell marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Escritor, crítico peruano y profesor de la Universidad de Brown en Estados Unidos. Autor de "Una poética del cambio" (1992), "El principio radical de lo nuevo" (1997), "Trasatlantic Translations" (2006) y "Rubén Darío y la lectura mutua" (2004), entre otros textos. De su trabajo más reciente destaca "El hacer poético" (2011) en colaboración con María Ramírez Ribes.
More about Julio Ortega...
Aleph De Jorge Luis Borges, El (Spanish Edition) Antologia de La Poesia Hispanoamericana Actual Antologia del Cuento Latinoamericano del Siglo XXI. Las Horas y Las Hordas Antologia de la poesia latinoamericana del siglo XX / Anthology of Latin American Poetry of the XX Century: El Turno y la transicion Gabriel Garcia Marquez and the Powers of Fiction