Start by marking “Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm” as Want to Read:
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Author Jack London wrote Kate Douglas Wiggin a letter about her classic Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm from the headquarters of the First Japanese Army in Manchuria in 1904: "May I thank you for Rebecca?... I would have quested the wide world over to make her mine, only I was born too long ago and she was born but yesterday.... Why could she not have been my daughter? Why coul ...more
Published 2002 by Playmore, Inc./Waldman Publishing Corp. (first published June 28th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Eric Wright
Apr 22, 2012 Eric Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, youth
After too many books of murder and mayhem and fantasy, it was a delightful change to read a charming book about a girl from a poor background being sent to an grumpy Aunt's house and learning to thrive. It is a Cinderella-type coming of age story that has much of the charm of Ann of Green Gables. The author has sketched an interesting and unique caste of characters. She writes with unusual wisdom and insight, dropping gems along the way. My only complaint was the length and detail of the paragra ...more
Khawla_h_240509
I loved the way of write this book, so it was not focus only on the main character, but also focused on the development of her favorite hobbies, writing poetry. She was starting from simple poetry and by develops and improves herself to write great poems to different people. In my opinion, Rebecca character was popular and loved, because it bring the life to the book. Also, the author includes many little details that make the character clearly to the reader.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Little girls
I recently decided to start reading different children's books, or reread them, so I can start building a good library for my children. This was a very cute story. I would have loved it as a child! Obviously an easy read for an adult.
Emily
Jul 06, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All children
Recommended to Emily by: Grandma, Mom
This book is a adaption of the classic book Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin. The adapter Eliza Gatewood Warren did do a good job of retelling the story in a more brief and concise manner, so younger readers can follow along better. However, I did not like how Warren changed several points in the story. I would have given this book five stars if not for the unnecessary changes. Also, when you read the real story first the writing in this book is disappointing. However, this boo ...more
Prashant
Jun 14, 2015 Prashant rated it it was amazing
very few literary characters have that magic to jump from the pages to take you on a timeless journey to live their story and such character is Rebecca from the book Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm written by Kate Douglas Wiggin. her journey from maple to riverboro and her quest to find happiness even in the heart breaking struggles is worth praising. I highly recommend this book.
P.D.R. Lindsay
Apr 16, 2016 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it really liked it
This is an American version of 'Ann of Green Gables only Rebecca is not an orphan but a poor relation.
For a history lesson in colonial American life this is a delightful version. Rebecca is also a charming character and it's fun to read of her adventures.

A book to enjoy and share with your young readers.
Donna Smeltzer starner
Sep 05, 2015 Donna Smeltzer starner marked it as to-read
disappointing ending - I wanted more details between Rebecca and Mr Aladdin
Donna
Apr 09, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
There's something about these types of stories (also, Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables), that really appealed to me as a girl. Plucky, upbeat girl overcomes hardships. I wasn't particularly plucky or upbeat, and didn't have a lot of hardships, but I would have liked to have been Rebecca.

I'm afraid books like these are slowly dying because the vocabulary and writing style are too difficult for today's kids. That's too bad.
Elizabeth Meadows
I read this book to my daughter because her grandmother gave it to her when she was very young. It is a simplified version for younger readers and I do not know how it compares to the original story. I do like the format of having an illustration on every page. My daughter has autism and a short attention span. This type of chapter book is more interesting for her because of the frequent illustrations.
Zoe
Feb 10, 2009 Zoe rated it it was ok
I was reading this out loud to my six year-olds at the same time as a Nancy Drew book. I preferred this one. Even so, the ending felt quite rushed. She grew up in less than three chapters, it seemed, after a luxurious opening to the book.
Maria
Nov 17, 2007 Maria rated it really liked it
Found this at my new local library, so have re-read this one. Another wonderful childhood story, with shades of Anne and Emily. Not quite as good though.
Lolly
Oct 08, 2008 Lolly rated it liked it
Ellie and I are reading this on now. It's good so far! It was a fun read, although it leaves you wanting more of a conclusion, and it's kind of sad.
Madeline
Mar 15, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it
I loved it because-she had so many siblings and she lived a farm and she went to her aunt's house and had to learn to be a Lady!:)
Jessica Olson
Oct 14, 2009 Jessica Olson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good! I am not done with it yet but it is sure good!
Cws
JAR5-Wig
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Rebecca Bailey
Rebecca Bailey is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2016
RJ Taschek
RJ Taschek marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jessaleigh
Jessaleigh rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Melanie Al-abed
Melanie Al-abed rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
TJ
TJ added it
Mar 29, 2016
RI
RI added it
Mar 23, 2016
Queenjuicy
Queenjuicy rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2016
Ask
Ask marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Sarah Marie
Sarah Marie rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Lisa Schaefer
Lisa Schaefer marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Snapdragon
Snapdragon marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016