Start by marking “Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm” as Want to Read:
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Author Jack London wrote Kate Douglas Wiggin a letter about her classic Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm from the headquarters of the First Japanese Army in Manchuria in 1904: "May I thank you for Rebecca?... I would have quested the wide world over to make her mine, only I was born too long ago and she was born but yesterday.... Why could she not have been my daughter? Why coul ...more
Published 2002 by Playmore, Inc./Waldman Publishing Corp. (first published June 28th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Eric Wright
After too many books of murder and mayhem and fantasy, it was a delightful change to read a charming book about a girl from a poor background being sent to an grumpy Aunt's house and learning to thrive. It is a Cinderella-type coming of age story that has much of the charm of Ann of Green Gables. The author has sketched an interesting and unique caste of characters. She writes with unusual wisdom and insight, dropping gems along the way. My only complaint was the length and detail of the paragra ...more
I loved the way of write this book, so it was not focus only on the main character, but also focused on the development of her favorite hobbies, writing poetry. She was starting from simple poetry and by develops and improves herself to write great poems to different people. In my opinion, Rebecca character was popular and loved, because it bring the life to the book. Also, the author includes many little details that make the character clearly to the reader.
Sep 08, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Little girls
I recently decided to start reading different children's books, or reread them, so I can start building a good library for my children. This was a very cute story. I would have loved it as a child! Obviously an easy read for an adult.
Jul 06, 2015 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All children
Recommended to Emily by: Grandma, Mom
This book is a adaption of the classic book Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin. The adapter Eliza Gatewood Warren did do a good job of retelling the story in a more brief and concise manner, so younger readers can follow along better. However, I did not like how Warren changed several points in the story. I would have given this book five stars if not for the unnecessary changes. Also, when you read the real story first the writing in this book is disappointing. However, this boo ...more
very few literary characters have that magic to jump from the pages to take you on a timeless journey to live their story and such character is Rebecca from the book Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm written by Kate Douglas Wiggin. her journey from maple to riverboro and her quest to find happiness even in the heart breaking struggles is worth praising. I highly recommend this book.
Elizabeth Meadows
I read this book to my daughter because her grandmother gave it to her when she was very young. It is a simplified version for younger readers and I do not know how it compares to the original story. I do like the format of having an illustration on every page. My daughter has autism and a short attention span. This type of chapter book is more interesting for her because of the frequent illustrations.
Donna Smeltzer starner
Sep 05, 2015 Donna Smeltzer starner marked it as to-read
disappointing ending - I wanted more details between Rebecca and Mr Aladdin
There's something about these types of stories (also, Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables), that really appealed to me as a girl. Plucky, upbeat girl overcomes hardships. I wasn't particularly plucky or upbeat, and didn't have a lot of hardships, but I would have liked to have been Rebecca.

I'm afraid books like these are slowly dying because the vocabulary and writing style are too difficult for today's kids. That's too bad.
I was reading this out loud to my six year-olds at the same time as a Nancy Drew book. I preferred this one. Even so, the ending felt quite rushed. She grew up in less than three chapters, it seemed, after a luxurious opening to the book.
Found this at my new local library, so have re-read this one. Another wonderful childhood story, with shades of Anne and Emily. Not quite as good though.
Ellie and I are reading this on now. It's good so far! It was a fun read, although it leaves you wanting more of a conclusion, and it's kind of sad.
I loved it because-she had so many siblings and she lived a farm and she went to her aunt's house and had to learn to be a Lady!:)
Jessica Olson
This book was really good! I am not done with it yet but it is sure good!
Dia added it
Nov 04, 2015
BuenaVista marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Madison Strang
Madison Strang marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Carmen added it
Sep 10, 2015
Annie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015