Start by marking “Snap” as Want to Read:
Snap

Snap

"Children will come away thinking they have heard something quite profound about love, fear, and hope for the future."
- Booklist (starred review)

Eddie Beckey makes lists for just about everything and everyone in her life. And for matters of real importance, she wears (and snaps) an array of colored rubber bands on her wrist. Unfortunately, the world is not always so orderl
Published March 14th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published March 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Snap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snap

karenbee
Jan 28, 2014 karenbee rated it really liked it
Shelves: rabbit-recs
It's hard for me to judge Snap because it's a meant for a younger audience than most of the stuff I read; I'd say it's suitable for an older elementary reader. McGhee's writing is nice, though, and I enjoyed the story. I might have enjoyed it more than I normally would have because I knew Rabbit loved it. Whatever the reason, I thought it was a sweet story.

The cover image and title made me think it would be about self-harm but it's not; the bracelets are main character Eddie's way of trying to b
Claire
Jul 18, 2010 Claire rated it liked it
Have not read this yet, good reviews call it a wonderful writing and a slim quick read about friendship, grief, depression...compared to Kate DiCamillo...
Now I have read this and would generally agree with these statements.
Eddie (Edwina !?)and Sally (now it's the summer before 7th grade) have been best friends since the first day of second grade. Eddie is a list maker, habit checker, worrier. Her fond hope is to control life's unpredictables with lists and plans. This is mildly annoying to Sally
Sandra McLeod
Aug 17, 2009 Sandra McLeod rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-novels
This is definitely a book to be savored and reread. Each of the characters is memorable in her own right and the interaction between them is depicted with great poignancy. Although this is a novel about death and dying and loss, it is primarily a novel about friendship and relationships. The writing is beautiful and this is a story that will remain very much with you long after you close the book.
Marcia
Jan 15, 2009 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: older elementary, ya
This is a quiet, quirky book about friendship and caring. Rubber band bracelets, a mom who doesn't talk, a hovel and a true friendship make for a nice read. Reminded me of Kate DiCamillo a bit. I really enjoyed it.
Isabel Boucher
Sep 07, 2008 Isabel Boucher rated it liked it
this book was really simple and thats why i liked it. but i think the story could have been written better than it was. it almost made me cry.
Jeanette
3.5
Simple, yet touching
Marianne Last
Sep 21, 2016 Marianne Last rated it really liked it
I read the book for work, and found it very touching. The narrative was not a straight forward A to B, and I wonder if it was too subtle or all over the place for its intended audience? I enjoyed it though. And, with all the heart the story has - in addition to a relatable and likeable main character - kids will enjoy it too. I highly recommend this book for children experiencing grief, sadness, or anxiety. Eddie's feelings are taken seriously and she's given coping mechanisms kids could use in ...more
Wendy
Aug 08, 2012 Wendy rated it did not like it
SYNOPSIS:
Eddie Beckey loves to make lists about anything. Her best friend Sally doesn't like list because she believes lists make life predictable. Eddie also wears 6 different colored rubber bands around her wrist which she snaps whenever the event that each band represent occurs. One day Eddie finds out something about her best friends life that will change her life forever and Eddie begins to wonder if their friendship can still survive.

REVIEW:
The story was scattered and all over the place.
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
Snap By: Alison McGhee is a Middle Grade book about two best friends who are trying to deal with many different issues over one summer. It's sad and sweet and a bit touching, yet their story show how two different young girls deal with their own trying times. One draws into herself and holds everything in while the other uses snapping a rainbow of rubber bands on her wrist to help deal. Finding this book realistic in this day and age was sadly easy. What each character is dealing with could be a ...more
Samantha W.
Nov 14, 2010 Samantha W. rated it liked it
Sally
Edwina's (Eddie's) best friend is Sally. Eddie remembers exactly when they met - the 1st day of 2nd grade.
Eddie makes lists, Sally is a star with the School Rope Power team; they enjoy camping near their home - the foothills of the Adirondacks. There's a lot of laughing going on, but one day that stops, and Eddie realizes she hasn't seen Sally's grandmother walking for a while. Sally lives with her grandmother - she's the type of woman everyone would love to have as their guardian.

In the book E
Kim B.
Sep 05, 2010 Kim B. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10-11-readings
This book took less time to read than a novel-in-verse would, yet it has a similar sort of poetic style (sort of), which I would expect from a book written by an accomplished adult author. (The same was true for McGhee's YA book "All Rivers Flow to the Sea," but I found that book less engaging.) You can see clearly in only 128 pages why Eddie and Sally were best friends and get a clear understanding of their every emotion. It is a sad book, but not a remarkably devastating one. It probably isn't ...more
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
a very YA book. very short too, i could have read in one day if i wanted to, but it wasn't that good. so it took me two days. eddie (real name is edwina but her mother never calls her by her nickname) is a 6th going on 7th grader and her best friend sally lives with her grandmother. sally's grandmother is dying and sally has a hard time dealing with it.

the reason the book is called snap is because eddie wears six rubber bands of all different colors on her wrist and she snaps them when she does
KidsFiction Teton County Library
TCL call number: J McGhee

no rating

Edwina "Eddie" Beckey is 11 years old and has just finished 6th grade. Eddie loves to make lists -- lists about almost anything. Her lists are witty and always leave a hint towards another part of her life -- or her best friend Sally's life. Eddie and Sally do everything together throughout a summer as their friendship is tested for strengh and trust.
The title comes from the colored rubber bands that Eddie wears around her wrist, and you have to read to the en
Julie Ekkers
Mar 01, 2011 Julie Ekkers rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
I have now read everything Alison McGhee has written, save her children's and pictures books. She is definately a favorite author of mine. Snap is one of her two young adult novels. What I love most about her writing is the authenticity she brings to her young narrator's voices. I find that many author's aren't able to capture a child's voice, and the funny way children have of looking at the world. I love that she acknowledges that children are wondering about big questions and struggling to an ...more
Katie
Aug 04, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone i guess
Samantha
Oct 27, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
This books shows that you should not get obsessed with something and then do that all the time and hurt yourself.If you like books that people get obsessed with something and harms themselves while doing something that could really hurt them.Both girls and if boys could read this book it will teach them why they should not get overly obsessed with something and harm yourself by doing that. In this book i learned that being so addicted to something that can get in the way of a friendship is obvio ...more
Mimi
Jul 26, 2012 Mimi rated it really liked it
This book is written in such a way that it flows and can be interpreted in different ways, but still portrays the same message. Self harm is becoming such a big issue in our society that people are still ashamed to talk about in fear of being judged. This book expresses that self harm can occur in other forms, not just cutting, and that people have a knack of doing quirky things that are effective and memorable.
McGhee has a sensible approach to the topic and breaks her plot easily for people to
Leslie
Jun 18, 2016 Leslie rated it it was amazing
The wise and seasoned voice of an 11-year-old is captured so well here. Eleven-year-olds deal with a lot of heavy stuff, but no matter how hard they try, something lacks in their experience, keeping them from fully understanding. This is a beautiful portrayal of that.

Eddie's mom sounds somewhat like me. Reading this as a mom but from the child's point of view is fascinating and a really special reminder of how child minds work through big issues.
Lindsay
May 30, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was ok
This was one of those books that I think girls would be drawn to, but after reading it I'd be surprised if a lot of students finish it. It struck me that the main character was very obviously written by a person who doesn't really remember what it's like to be 12-ish. I wasn't surprised to find a bookmark stuck in the book about 15 pages in... Sure sign that the last student didn't finish reading it.
Sydney.gray14
Apr 29, 2015 Sydney.gray14 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely amazing and a gift to anyone who needs a reminder that everything will be okay. The story of this girl shows that there will most definitely be tragedy and disaster, but there will also be joy and infinite hope as long as you continue moving forward and rely on yourself, instead of other's temporary company. "Snap" is an excellent reminder of life's ways, who you can really trust, and what to believe in.
Tanya
Jun 29, 2014 Tanya rated it liked it
It makes me think how there is a lot that middle school kids think of and wonder about and how they keep a lot of it hidden from adults as they try to sort it out. But it was surprising that they kept a lot from each other when dealing with issues out of the ordinary. Underneath, it quietly implied the value of just being there to support one's friend and also that change happens slowly and subtly and sometimes all we can do is observe without ever really knowing why.
Cecily Kyle
Jun 21, 2013 Cecily Kyle rated it liked it
A good book showing, what it is like to really be there for your friends when they need you even if they try to push you away because you are in pain.

I didn't realize that this was a Junior Fiction book (Ages 10-12) I judged the book by the cover on this one and was a little disappointed but it was a decent story none the less.
Elizabeth
May 21, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who has quirks....which equals everyone.
Recommended to Elizabeth by: myself at the library, bored
This book is so sweet and so sad... I just loved it. It perfectly captures life. Rubber bands and braids and green buckets and blue bicycles and salt-and-pepper shakers and donuts are what this book is about, and friendship. And I loved it. And i think you will too. It's all 'deep' though, so some people will think it is boring. :)
Mrs.  Garza
Cute, short read about two young girls at the end of sixth grade. Edwina and Sally. Sally lives with her grandmother, Willie. When Willie becomes ill, Edwina notices changes in the world around her, in town, in herself and mostly in Sally. Sally's grief pains Edwina. This short story is a coming of age story of two young girls with a strong and beautiful friendship.
Erin
Oct 07, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
I just love this book. its so small and sweet, and theres so much in it. it makes me cry every time, because reading it all in one sitting doesnt leave you any breaks to catch your breath and get your emotions under control.

This book, it... it just captures so many things perfectly, and i can't help but love it.
Ms. Learned's Literature Group Room112
Sep 29, 2008 Ms. Learned's Literature Group Room112 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young teenagers boys and girls
Recommended to Ms. Learned's Literature Group by: my Sister
This books shows that you should not get obsessed with something and then do that all the time and hurt yourself.If you like books that people get obsessed with something and harms themselves while doing something that could really hurt them.Both girls andf boys could read this book it will teach them why they should not get overally obssesd with something and harm yourself by doing that.
Mina
May 27, 2011 Mina rated it really liked it
Shelves: friendships
this is a hart warming story about a girl who wares theses bracelets that each mean something and she snaps them and you go through the whole book wondering what the purple bracelet means and then her best friends grandma gets sick and the two friend have to carry through.
Mariah
Apr 09, 2014 Mariah rated it it was amazing
It was really good.I almost cried
Alison McGheeSnap
Alice
May 12, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
I am sorry I dismissed this little book about friendship and the hardships life throws in the way. I am glad that April (and Kira) recommended it.It's hard to be a friend when you don't know how to help your friend through a dark, rough place. Kids need to know that no one has all the answers.
Snap bracelets 1 4 Oct 03, 2012 02:00PM
  • The Shape of Water
  • Nilda
  • Itch
  • Brave New Girl
  • earthgirl
  • Kissing the Bee
  • Downers Grove
  • One More Little Problem (Zelah Green, #2)
  • Tending to Grace
  • No Laughter Here
  • Letting Go of Lisa
  • Never Ending
  • Savage Sam (Old Yeller, #2)
  • Defiance
  • Mimi
  • After the Strawberry
  • Letters From Wolfie
  • Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit
Alison McGhee writes novels, picture books, poems, and essays for all ages, including the forthcoming novel Never Coming Back (out in October 2017) and the #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller SOMEDAY, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. Her work has been translated into more than 20 languages. She lives in Minneapolis, California and Vermont.
More about Alison McGhee...