Start by marking “Looking Out for #1” as Want to Read:
Looking Out for #1

Looking Out for #1

In page after page of this self-confidence and life-enhancing bible, bestselling author Robert Ringer guides you on the most exciting and rewarding journey of your life. This #1 bestseller will clearly demonstrate how to get from where you are now to where you want to be--with friends, lovers, finances, and all other areas of your personal world.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published September 12th 1985 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1955)

Carlos
May 26, 2010 Carlos rated it it was amazing
I place this one on top of all other motivational books I had. Why not, Robert places common sense more than any other rah, rah that other authors are pitching. If you want a no-nonsense guide to life, love, and business, I recommend this one.
Wanda
Aug 27, 2007 Wanda rated it really liked it
This book taught me that taking care of myself is not a sin but sacrificing one's self may be.
Thomas Daniel Herrington
Jul 23, 2012 Thomas Daniel Herrington rated it it was amazing
A great read about looking out for your interests so that you can be of use to others. If you are OK, you are a far more useful person to society at large.
Matthew
Aug 09, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I read this after "Winning Through Intimidation", and I don't know the sequence, but to me it came off as a later work, a treatise on human freedom, human happiness, and a Libertarian-friendly wake up call to pursue absolutely all the joy and excitement and achievement that you can grab in this life...unencumbered by weak peers, misunderstanding fools, milquetoast misguided moralists, or anyone else seeking to control you to further their agenda, or worse, assuage their own personal neurosis (an ...more
Mark
Dec 27, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books. I'm so glad to know that it is still available. When I read it (from the library) I didn't think the book was still in print. Now, it's available on Kindle.

The book is a funny but serious take on why and how everyone is really only looking out for themselves. But, in turn, it helps the world and people get along.
Valenfore Alestreneon
Nov 19, 2012 Valenfore Alestreneon rated it it was amazing
A must read for every American.
Steven Truong
Jan 12, 2017 Steven Truong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light book with some interesting ways to examine many aspects of life.

This book covers many important areas in life. It will help readers to avoid unneeded mistakes to live truly happier lives.
Victor Nobrega
Dec 28, 2016 Victor Nobrega rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear vision for clear living

This book has strong libertarian themes. I don't mind it but for some it may be a issue. Not many books of this genre get political so i thought I would.mention it. That said the book is excellent. Helps clear.your mind of the social.cobwebs and focus on what's important.
Brandon Hinneberg
Inspiring & insightful

I recently graduated college and now I'm the pursuit to find what life after college is all about. This book has really good perspective to offer. Without ruining the book's details the takeaway for me is as an individual I need to focus on myself and in doing so I will be able to do better towards others.

I would recommend this book to anyone but specifically to a person that is going through a transition in their life.
Tim Malone
Jul 13, 2013 Tim Malone rated it really liked it
Also read this one back in the late 70's before starting my career in business. I love Mr. Ringer's Philosophy of life and business but don't be fooled by the title. The book is really all about taking care of things and especially people that need to be taken care of - treated nicely - to be happy and successful in life. It just so happens to taking care of your own happiness will help you be in a better position to bring happiness to others. I always recommend this to recent grads.
Bob
Oct 27, 2012 Bob rated it it was ok
That I rated this book with more than one star does not imply agreement; it reflects the book's status as an artifact of the individualist, anti-government ideology that took root in the United States during the Reagan era. As such, it can be considered among the seminal texts in the canon of the Tea Party movement.
Nik Foreman
Jun 01, 2015 Nik Foreman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Simple and Well Thought Out Self-help Book

The headline says it all. This book is fantastic for getting yourself moving in the right direction. Though corny at times, the author's points ring true. He speaks from experience, and they're experiences we all know too well. This will help navigate your life away from the negative. Great book!!
Sherrill Watson
Dec 09, 2013 Sherrill Watson rated it it was amazing
Written in 1977. This book is as relevant today as in 1977. I would not be without a copy; it bears re-reading, and re-reading, and studying, and . . .

See blurb written by the editors of Goodreads.
Andy Mitchell
Aug 09, 2011 Andy Mitchell rated it it was ok
Extremely compelling control belief: everything we do is self-interested, from selfish through sacrificial behaviors.

I disagree with this book on moral grounds, but I am unable to prove its bold thesis false.
John Moretz
Groovy self-help book from the so-called me decade. Funny, insightful, very much like his other book, Winning Through Intimidation. Recommended.

On a side not, the old hardcover's dust jacket has a photo of the author wearing super far-out, groovy bell-bottom jeans.
Dream Catcher
Jun 18, 2013 Dream Catcher rated it it was amazing
I think this book was good,some stuff made laugh and other made me think I didn't agree to everything but at the end I learned a few new stuff
Jonathan McKay
Aug 29, 2015 Jonathan McKay rated it did not like it
If your benchmark for success is becoming a self centered egomaniac then this is the book for you narcissists of the world rejoice! your bible is here!
David Rosage
Jan 26, 2009 David Rosage rated it did not like it
This book had some valid points but dosn't agree with my philosophy on life. Towards the end I was a little dissappointed and happy to move on to a more intersting read.
Robert Harrison
Feb 23, 2015 Robert Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this great book.

Loved this book when I read it many years ago,decided it was time for another reading. Each time I read it I take more and more from it.
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Derrick Lord
Derrick Lord rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Rowan
Rowan rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2009
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Javier
Javier rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2017
Robert Hambly
Robert Hambly rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
Michelle Matthews
Michelle Matthews rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Doug Lautzenheiser
Doug Lautzenheiser rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
M
Nov 18, 2016 M rated it liked it
I read this book in High School. It was a harbinger of the 80s culture...
  • High Financier: The Lives and Time of Siegmund Warburg
  • The Money Culture
  • Taoism
  • Hedgehogging
  • New Worlds for All: Indians, Europeans, and the Remaking of Early America
  • The WSJ Guide to the 50 Economic Indicators That Really Matter: From Big Macs to "Zombie Banks," the Indicators Smart Investors Watch to Beat the Market
  • Unfair Trade: How Big Business Exploits The World's Poor   And Why It Doesn't Have To
  • So, You're A Creative Genius, Now what?
  • Door Number Three
  • Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership
  • The Long Death: The Last Days of the Plains Indians
  • Mars and Venus in the Workplace: A Practical Guide for Improving Communication and Getting Results at Work