Start by marking “Looking Out for #1” as Want to Read:
Looking Out for #1

Looking Out for #1

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In page after page of this self-confidence and life-enhancing bible, bestselling author Robert Ringer guides you on the most exciting and rewarding journey of your life. This #1 bestseller will clearly demonstrate how to get from where you are now to where you want to be--with friends, lovers, finances, and all other areas of your personal world.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published September 12th 1985 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Looking Out for #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking Out for #1

Carlos Velasco
I place this one on top of all other motivational books I had. Why not, Robert places common sense more than any other rah, rah that other authors are pitching. If you want a no-nonsense guide to life, love, and business, I recommend this one.
Wanda
This book taught me that taking care of myself is not a sin but sacrificing one's self may be.
Thomas Daniel Herrington
A great read about looking out for your interests so that you can be of use to others. If you are OK, you are a far more useful person to society at large.
Matthew
I read this after "Winning Through Intimidation", and I don't know the sequence, but to me it came off as a later work, a treatise on human freedom, human happiness, and a Libertarian-friendly wake up call to pursue absolutely all the joy and excitement and achievement that you can grab in this life...unencumbered by weak peers, misunderstanding fools, milquetoast misguided moralists, or anyone else seeking to control you to further their agenda, or worse, assuage their own personal neurosis (an ...more
Valenfore Alestreneon
A must read for every American.
John Moretz
Groovy self-help book from the so-called me decade. Funny, insightful, very much like his other book, Winning Through Intimidation. Recommended.

On a side not, the old hardcover's dust jacket has a photo of the author wearing super far-out, groovy bell-bottom jeans.
Tim Malone
Also read this one back in the late 70's before starting my career in business. I love Mr. Ringer's Philosophy of life and business but don't be fooled by the title. The book is really all about taking care of things and especially people that need to be taken care of - treated nicely - to be happy and successful in life. It just so happens to taking care of your own happiness will help you be in a better position to bring happiness to others. I always recommend this to recent grads.
Bob
That I rated this book with more than one star does not imply agreement; it reflects the book's status as an artifact of the individualist, anti-government ideology that took root in the United States during the Reagan era. As such, it can be considered among the seminal texts in the canon of the Tea Party movement.
Andy Mitchell
Extremely compelling control belief: everything we do is self-interested, from selfish through sacrificial behaviors.

I disagree with this book on moral grounds, but I am unable to prove its bold thesis false.
Sherrill Watson
Written in 1977. This book is as relevant today as in 1977. I would not be without a copy; it bears re-reading, and re-reading, and studying, and . . .

See blurb written by the editors of Goodreads.
David
This book had some valid points but dosn't agree with my philosophy on life. Towards the end I was a little dissappointed and happy to move on to a more intersting read.
Dream Catcher
I think this book was good,some stuff made laugh and other made me think I didn't agree to everything but at the end I learned a few new stuff
Linda
This is an excellent book for folks who have been abused.
Sabrina Gates
Sabrina Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
George Mussel
George Mussel marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Sara Alaee
Sara Alaee marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Eldridge Harley,
Eldridge Harley, marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mack Knife
Mack Knife marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Mehran
Mehran marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Bill
Bill added it
Oct 18, 2014
Lizzy
Lizzy is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2014
  • The Complete TurtleTrader: The Legend, the Lessons, the Results
  • Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask
  • On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore
  • The Money Culture
  • The Undercover Economist Strikes Back: How to Run-or Ruin-an Economy
  • A Simple Story
  • So, You're A Creative Genius, Now what?
  • Virgin Planet
  • Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It
  • How to Trade in Stocks
  • Motown: Music, Money, Sex, and Power
  • The Market for Liberty
  • The Dillinger Days
  • The Act of Will
Winning Through Intimidation Million Dollar Habits Restoring the American Dream Getting What You Want: The 7 Principles of Rational Living How You Can Find Happiness During The Collapse Of Western Civilization