The Diary of Anne Frank: The Revised Critical Edition

The Diary of Anne Frank: The Revised Critical Edition

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  939 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Revised and expanded version of the Critical Edition, originally published in 1986. A complete collection of Anne Frank's known writings -- different versions of her diary (as well as five recently discovered diary pages), fables, personal reminiscences and her unfinished novel, Cady's Life. Also includes a summary of the document examination and handwriting identification...more
Published March 25th 2003 by Doubleday (first published February 12th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Diary of Anne Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diary of Anne Frank

Teresa
This book should probably be listed as separate from the rest of Anne Frank's works (though it does contain all of them) as it contains so much more. In 1986 the "critical edition" was published after the authenticity of the diary was confirmed (the procedure being deemed necessary as Holocaust-deniers were loud and vociferous with their assertion that the diary had been faked); in 2003 the editors published this "revised critical edition," one reason being that five pages originally held back a...more
SoGomez_
Nunca en la primaria me lo habían hecho leer y tipo si ya se que tengo 15 y blabla, pero no.
En fin, la historia obviamente es muuy triste y dolorosa, no tan solo por Anna, su familia y los Van Pels, si no por todos los judíos. Es un diario de una chica de 13 a 15 años, es denso en algunas partes pero, sigue siendo un diario. No creo poder encontrarle "una nota", es un diario, imaginense si ahora deciden venir a juzgar mi diario por algo que me pasó, es decir, no se si me explico, pero sigue sie...more
Elizabeth
After a recent trip to Frankfurt, where I saw Anne Frank's part of the Jewish Memorial Wall, I decided to re-read this book. I remember reading the book in elementary school and then taking a class field trip to see the play, but I didn't remember many details.

When searching for the book I discovered there are MANY different versions of her diaries published. (Apparently Anne started editing her diary for publication herself, then her father Otto edited out many passages before he had them publi...more
Anne Schilde
The RCE contains a lot of other material including some history, the process for validation of the documents, three versions of the diary and the anecdotes and stories Anne titled, Verhaaltjes en gebeurtenissen uit het Achterhuis.

This was a fabulous experience and very deeply personal for me. It wouldn't be the same for everyone, however I highly recommend one version or another of the diary for anyone struggling with being a teenager, and for their parents as well. To quote Otto Frank, "You do...more
Joanne
I'm glad to have waited until this edition came out to finally read this book- the introduction explains what was cut from earlier editions and why, and it's understood, one would not want to hear a very young lady talking about sex back then...but now... I'm thrilled they included all of her thoughts and notes she added later to edit things, etc. It truly brought out a depth of character that I doubt I would have fully grasped in the edited versions of it.
What an amazing young woman she was, t...more
Sumi
While in hiding, Anne Frank started a diary detailing her life which just happened to take place during one of the most historically significant periods in history, the second world war.

The diary was received as a birthday gift when Holland had already been defeated by the Germans and she details some of the restrictions placed on the Jews by the Nazis. Eventually forced into hiding.

It is during that period of hiding in the Secret Annex that Anne is given the idea that her diary could become a...more
Charlotte
This book is a must read for any serious Anne Frank fan or for those who want to study her diary (or rather diaries) in more depth. As it contains the 3 versions of the diaries side by side (anne's original writings, her own 1943-44 rewrites and otto frank's edits eventually used for publication in 1947) you begin to realise that at age 13, still writing about school friends, books and her family, Anne was no literary genius just an ordinary teenage girl in horrible circumstances. It is only ove...more
Eileen
It has been YEARS since I read this book as a child. Reading it as an adult with an understanding of WWII brought new meaning and understanding to the book. Reading it as a mother was even more rewarding.

This book had pieces of the diary that were not included in other versions. The father had removed parts of the diary that Anne didn't talk too nicely about her mother...this one added those bits back in. I thought it made the book more whole.

The book also explained that Anne's diary was actuall...more
Margaux
How can you rate someone's diary? What I can say is she would have changed the world and made a huge difference in women rights and much more. I guess she made a difference in a different way.
Yoli Aguilera
Cuando leo libros de este tipo solo me dan ganas de una cosa: matar a Hitler mil veces mas aunque ya lo esté. Increíble como narra Ana todo. Sobre todo sus sentimientos pese a la situación que se encuentra. Le llegas a coger mucho cariño...yo lloré muchisímo las dos veces que vi la película. Brutal.
Christine
Dec 08, 2008 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody old enough to read and understand this
Recommended to Christine by: my parents gave it to me when I was 13
This is the book that had the most impact on my life. I read it when I was 13, watched several movies and many documentaries on Anne Frank's life since then and collected lots of other books about her short life.

I did visit the Anne Frank House on Prinsengracht in Amsterdam 3 times and spent an entire day at the new Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C., in October 1998.
Every student should read this touching diary at school so that another holocaust of any sort will be prevented in the future......more
Michaela Dean
During the hiatus for jug day I listened to the diary of Anne frank while driving in the car to and from Vermont. Listening to the book I was able to make connections to information I had learned last year in World Studies and in English in 8th grade about WW2 and the holocaust. This book I had been meaning to read for years, and now I'm glad I have. If I hadn't felt reverence to Jews during the holocaust before, which I had, I would and do now.
Teri Reck
The only reason that I didn't rate this book five stars is that at times I felt a little uncomfortable reading this young woman's private diary. I know that she had hoped to have it read by others and worked to revise it, but even still, I felt a little funny about it. But if you can get over that, it is indeed an incredible work documenting her life in hiding and her dreams and desires. I hope that it serves to help us "never forget".
Mlg
A rereading of an old classic, this edition is interesting for the extra content. It shows the difference between the three versions of the diary, and it contains information on what happened to all of the people in the secret annex after they were arrested. It also contains information on the informant who turned in the Franks.
MaryAnn Paligo
This is a great book. It includes background chapters on the Frank family as well as all the information availble on what happened to each of them. It has Anne's original text, her own revisions, and the original published text on the same page for easy comparison. I very much enjoyed the book.
Cathy
I'm glad I read only her complete version. Even though I struggled, because I'm not a fast reader and parts of it seemed tedious, I was determined to honor her by reading every word. They didn't deserve the nightmare, and it should matter to us what happened to so many innocent people.
Jennyanydots
i honestly think the only way to fully appreciate anne's diary is to read the real version. reading the unfiltered diary of this very real girl - complete with both her bratty streaks and her compassionate moments - gave me a better sense of her intelligence, ambitions, and personality.
Fijke
This book is pretty difficult to get through. It's slow paced because it's a real diary and not much happens. Still, even though it's a tough read, I gave it three stars and would recommend anyone to at least give it a try, because it's such a relevant book to western history.
J.W. Braun
Anne was a gifted writer whose words reach through the page and touch the reader, as if she's speaking only to him or her. Real life gave her some great material, and she made the most of it. This edition of her diary gives you Anne in raw form, unedited.
Keith
I read this because of what I knew and heard about this young captivating girl and her story. Then I started reading and I was completely blown away with what very little I actually knew and what a vast amount I learned about her.
Elisabeth Gotzmann
Journal d'Anne Frank en français.

Lecture de secondaire. Pour sensibiliser les jeunes d'aujourd'hui à la deuxième guerre mondiale. Terriblement bouleversant.
3.8/5
Dev
Moving and vital: speaks to the holocaust in the best way by illuminating one precocious girl's story.
Molly
The revised critical edition is just so big... one day I'll finish it. At least to find the dirty parts.
Mariane
More details in this book. Some new pictures too.
Zarah
It was a good book. A must read.
Raven Curtis
Raven Curtis marked it as to-read
Jerin Jose
Jerin Jose marked it as to-read
Risa
Risa marked it as to-read
  • Anne Frank: A Hidden Life
  • My Bridges of Hope
  • Memoirs of an Infantry Officer
  • The World of Myth: An Anthology
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • ...I never saw another butterfly...
  • White Mare's Daughter (Epona, #1)

Annelies Marie "Anne" Frank was a German-born Jewish girl from the city of Frankfurt, who wrote a diary while in hiding with her family and four friends in Amsterdam during the German occupation of the Netherlands in World War II.

She lived in Amsterdam with her parents and...more
More about Anne Frank...
The Diary of a Young Girl Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex Anne Frank: Beyond the Diary - A Photographic Remembrance The Norton Book of Women's Lives A Hatred for Tulips