Start by marking “Are You Kidding Me?: The Story of Rocco Mediate's Extraordinary Battle with Tiger Woods at the US Open” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
June 2008's US Open produced one of the most unexpected and dramatic showdowns in golf history. Day after day the invincible Tiger Woods was challenged by Rocco Mediate, a respected journeyman. On Sunday, both ended play tied at par, forcing a playoff. Defying expectations, Mediate played Woods to yet another tie, losing only after forcing a sudden-death showdown.

Through i
Published May 18th 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Kidding Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Kidding Me?

Kevin
Jun 20, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it
As the players struggle to get their rounds in at rain soaked Bethpage Black what better time to take a look back at last years amazing US Open golf tournament. Are You Kidding Me?: The Story of Rocco Mediate’s Extraordinary Battle with Tiger Woods at the US Open by Rocco Mediate and John Feinstein does just that and in entertaining and enlightening fashion.

For those of you not golf fans, or who inexplicably didn’t follow the amazing events of last year, here is recap. Tiger Woods was coming of
Turi
May 22, 2009 Turi rated it really liked it
Shelves: golf
I was lucky enough to notice a twitter post from Little, Brown (publisher) about this book, and was sent a free copy. Really, though, I would have paid for this book. I think I've read everything golf-related that John Feinstein has done, and I've got a soft spot for Rocco Mediate, and "everyman" golf hero.

"Are You Kidding Me" is really a biography of Mediate, focusing in the last third of the book on his battle with Tiger Woods at the 2008 US Open. It's great to get such an inside look at the h
Lexi
Jun 18, 2009 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, non-fiction
When John Feinstein is at his best, he can be giving the play by play of a game I saw live, and I still find myself completely riveted, hanging on his every word with the irrational thought that maybe it will end differently this time around.
Chris Denison
May 22, 2013 Chris Denison rated it it was amazing
The greatest story ever told. I love Rocco
Mahlon
Jun 18, 2009 Mahlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mahlon by: Watched the Open on TV
Shelves: read-2009
I've been critical of many of John Feinstein's recent efforts, which is why I was so pleased to see that he has almost regained that mid-90's form with his latest book.

Are You Kidding Me chronicles the historic battle between Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate for the 2008 U.S. Open Championship at Torrey Pines, already considered by many to be one of the most exciting Major Championships ever contested. The first half of the book is a Mediate Biography, but it's the second half of the book where Fei
Jeffrey
Jul 02, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Rocco Mediate became the story of the 2008 US Open, seemingly coming out of no where to force an 18 hole play-off against Tiger Woods. The story is told by Rocco and the great John Feinstein in, Are You Kidding Me? Rocco is known on the tour as a talkative and fun guy, and this book is of the same. Rocco tells of his life with a light touch that cements his place with the best on the PGA Tour.
This is not a swing by swing account of the Torrey Pines match, but rather a biography of Rocco as a pla
Joe
Nov 12, 2015 Joe rated it liked it
Good story on both ends. Showed Rocco's struggles with his back and family issues, and how he was able to hang in through his career and play some good golf. It was also fun remembering how dominate Tiger was back then, how he always seemed to get every break even after hitting off the reservation countless times.
Brian
Dec 18, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing
Very typical John Feinstein writing: lots of details for the golf fan, but general enough as to not turn off a non-golf fan or a non-Tour follower. Probably the most famous and exciting of Tiger Woods' major victories, and it translated well to print. Good work.
J.W. Cunningham
Apr 15, 2013 J.W. Cunningham rated it really liked it
Based on the title, one would not think of this book as being a biography. However, Feinstein and Mediate worked to use the entire life of Rocco Mediate to frame the story of this one golf tournament. I am a huge golf fan and thus picked up the book for that reason, but anyone that enjoys reading about people who make opportunities happen for themselves should enjoy this book. This book is much more about accomplishing the American dream than it is a golf tournament. This book is a perfect pictu ...more
TJ
Jun 20, 2016 TJ rated it it was amazing
Incredible golf book and a must read for any golf fan. Rocco Mediate is a true class act and one of the most humble guys on paper and in person.
Rrager15
Aug 17, 2016 Rrager15 rated it liked it
Shelves: golf-books
This is strictly for golf lovers. The first half of the book is a recap of Rocco's life. The second half recounts the amazing 2008 U.S. Open battle between Rocco and Tiger Woods. Since everyone who reads this book will already be aware of the outcome, it lacks any tension or suspense. Feinstein is an accomplished writer who's books have been very enjoyable. Unfortunately I found this to be a blah read.
Derek Bycraft
Jan 05, 2012 Derek Bycraft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look into the life of a golfer. If you are not a golf fan, this book probably will not interest you. Even if you just play golf casually, it probably isn't for you. People who love to play golf and watch tournaments every weekend will enjoy this book. There's nothing extremely shocking or breath-taking, just a good reflection of a life that led up to a very memorable US Open in 2008.
Evan Kirby
Oct 12, 2015 Evan Kirby rated it liked it
The only reason we ever really talk about Rocco Mediate is because of Tiger Woods victimizing him at the 2008 U.S. Open and rightfully this book mainly focuses on that. The rest is just by the numbers biography stuff, and really Mediate isn't the most interesting character, but the U.S. Open recollection is fine enough.
Lisa
Jun 19, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-books
I was at last year's Open on Saturday and Monday so I had to read this book to relive one of the most amazing sports events I've ever seen. Feinstein always does a great job of putting you in the middle of it all. My only beef is that I felt there were a few digs at Tiger in a very quiet way. Still, all in all, a good read.
David
Dec 07, 2009 David rated it really liked it
Feinstein, as usual, gets inside his subject's life in a manner unlike any other sports journalist. If at times his stroke-by-stroke analysis of a particular round of gold gets a little - shall I say it? - boring, keep on reading. The pressures of the tour and their effect on a marriage are thoughtfully discussed.
Pastor Jeff
This was one of the all time classic matches in US Open golf history. The setting is the majestic Torrey Pines Golf Course in La Jolla, CA. This epic story is one of tenacity and heart and of Rocco's humor and Tigers fierce competitiveness.
Dan
May 21, 2012 Dan added it

An interesting story but it was a little dry when the book went away from Rocco and into a play by play of golf. I would have love to have learned more of the personal side of Rocco.
chris
Apr 29, 2010 chris rated it really liked it
john feinstein is a terrific writer & rocco is an interesting guy. i remember seeing the match against tiger, and the thing that was so obvious, was that rocco was having a blast, win or lose.
Holly
Jun 15, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it
Interesting story about Rocco Mediate - what shaped him as a man. amazing that he wanted to take on Tiger Woods ... and so wonderful to read what we all watched last year.
Justin
Apr 19, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it
Great recap of one of the greatest golf finishes ever. Cool to get it from Rocco's perspective, though the book paints him as more of a saint than it appears he is.
Elizabeth
Jun 29, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Would have made a really great Sports Illustrated Article but falls short as a fully realized book. LOTS of skimming.
Chris
Nov 23, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
Great story of Rocco and Tiger's match at the US Open. Excellent insights into the professional golf community.
Scott
Jun 13, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS. PRETTY INTERESTING ACCOUNT OF A GOLFER I HAD BARELY HEARD OF. NOT ENOUGH ABOUT THE BIG DUEL.
Tyler Alt
Dec 14, 2009 Tyler Alt rated it liked it
Enjoyable read, but not a favorite of mine.
Ronald
Amusing golf book by a funny golfer.
Cullen
Jun 24, 2009 Cullen rated it it was amazing
A must read for any golf fan
Bfeyen
Oct 05, 2010 Bfeyen rated it liked it
Fun read
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Collin Leadbeater
Collin Leadbeater marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Phil Turin
Phil Turin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
  • The Mysterious Montague: A True Tale of Hollywood, Golf, and Armed Robbery
  • Big Show: Inside ESPN's Sportscenter
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • Basketball Junkie: A Memoir
  • Creating Your Personal Life Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing the Life You've Always Wanted
  • Doc: A Memoir
  • Fenway 1912: The Birth of a Ballpark, a Championship Season, and Fenway's Remarkable First Year
  • Hardcourt Confidential: Tales from Twenty Years in the Pro Tennis Trenches
Rocco Mediate has been playing professional golf since 1985. He lives in Los Angeles.
More about Rocco Mediate...