The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4)

The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  27,552 ratings  ·  795 reviews
New York Times bestselling sensation Gena Showalter returns with her long-awaited next installment of the Lords of the Underworld series…

He is the keeper of Doubt and his entire world’s about to be rocked.

Bound by the demon of Doubt, Sabin unintentionally destroys even the most confident of lovers. So the immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield instead of the b...more
Mass Market Paperback, 406 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Whisper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest Whisper

The Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonLover Avenged by J.R. WardLover Mine by J.R. WardInsatiable by Lauren DaneCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Hottest Guy on a Cover
18th out of 1,132 books — 1,612 voters
Lover Awakened by J.R. WardBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireDark Lover by J.R. WardFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesLover Eternal by J.R. Ward
So you love a Bad Boy or Tortured Hero
58th out of 1,831 books — 3,235 voters

More lists with this book...

Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Her gaze skittered away from him. “It was okay, I guess.”
He popped his jaw. It was okay. She guessed. She f*cking guessed. By gods, he’d give her another demonstration.

This is my favorite LOTU so far :) Great book with the first half of it being absolutely amazing <3

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Lords have gone to Egypt searching for the third artifact that will help them find Pandora' Box, but instead of the artifact they find a Hunter facility full of pregnant woman, who are all immortal in some way.
One of the women...more
DarienMoya
Jul 25, 2010 DarienMoya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hot men Lovers. seriously these men are hot.
^^THIS WHISPER IS CUMMING OFF LOUD AND CLEAR!^^
4.5

I like to talk about all the ways I love this book, I was really disappointed with book 3 in the series even though I loved it. Reyes was keeper of pain, so I expected all kinds of painful lovemaking did I get that? Nope! Reyes needed to call 1-800-TALK-VISHOUS (BDB series) or 1-866-ASK-SHADE ( Demonica Series). Well The Darkest Whisper was a winner, for some darn reason I was fascinated and fell in love with Sabin. Moreover, I love when all the...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Although The Darkest Whisper wasn't a perfect book, I loved it. This world of the Lords of the Underworld has really grabbed a hold on me.

I wasn't that keen on Sabin's character in the previous books, but I ended up adoring the guy. He's actually got some traits I like in a hero. I respect him for his incredible skill as a warrior and military tactician. I like that he's very focused and determined. He seems to have a sense of honor, for the most part. I turns out he's pretty sentimental about...more
Shawna
5 stars – Paranormal Romance

It’s been a while since I’ve immersed into the adventures of those sexy, angst-laden bad boy demon Lords, and I’d almost forgotten how much I love losing myself in their world.

I wasn’t too sure how I’d feel about The Darkest Whisper because Sabin (the keeper of the demon of Doubt) has never been one of my favorite Lords, but I was pleasantly surprised. As one of the LOTU leaders, he’s a total alpha who’s used to calling the shots and putting the war with the Hunters a...more
Larissa Ione
I read this book a few months ago, but just realized I hadn't caught up on my ratings and reviews...anyway, I loved this book!!! Reyes is still my favorite hero, but I really loved how this book started out and came together. Gwen is a fabulous heroine, and I loved watching her grow stronger with every page.

Gena gives me a freaking inferiority complex every time I read one of the Lords of the Underworld books! :) She's awesome!

If you haven't read this series, I highly recommend you start at th...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Katie aka Ms. Phoenix
I think along with Lucien and Anya's book. This book is also one of my favorites. I'm never sure hen I start reading TLoTU series but in saying that I love it every single time. I'm also so sad when I finish the book. I want to savor these books that's why I don't read them all in one sitting.

Sabin the Keeper of Doubt the ultimate soldier who won't let anything or anyone get in his way to win the ongoing war. They are in Egypt looking for the other artifacts where they stumble across Hunters who...more
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
Holly
Alright. Loved the Harpies. They reminded me of Kresley Cole's Valkyries.

I liked Sabin. He was certainly ruthless and I liked Gwen as well. While there was a lot of romance between the two of them, I also feel like their love story was not the main focus of the book. While I liked Sabin and Gwen, I liked the book as a whole better.

And while I loved the Harpies, I was also leery of how powerful they were. Since Gwen can kick so much butt by herself, if all the Harpies were together it seems lik...more
Kathrynn
Sep 17, 2009 Kathrynn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
I have mixed feelings about this book. It is the 4th installment in the Lords of the Underworld series and the author confirms this by stating it in her Intro. She has a few e-books on the LOTU, but they are numbered as .5, 3.5 here on GRs by ... yours truly. :-)

Enjoyed the first half of The Darkest Whisper. Sabin/Demon of Doubt came into the series after the other group of Lords rejoined their comrades--a book or so ago. They had a major falling out (1,000+ years ago) and went their separate w...more
Cindy
Sabin, keeper of Doubt, merciless warrior, driven leader and all-round badass. Gwendolyn the Timid, poster child for the self-esteem challenged, current captive and all-round victim. And they fall for each other so hard it registers on the Richter scale. This is a pairing worthy of Nina Bangs' Sparkle Stardust, the cosmic troublemaker who specializes in creating sexual havoc by matching total opposites [to their eventual delight:] to watch the fireworks.

Gwen is a Harpy - who is afraid of her 'in...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Whenever you have an ongoing series, you always run the risk that it will grow stale. Or even worse, jump the shark. I'm happy to say that this fourth installment in the Lords of the Underworld series, does neither. In fact, I didn't just like Sabin's story, I loved it.

Sabin, like all the Lords, shares his body with a demon. His demon is Doubt. And compared to some of the other guys, he got off easy. But Doubt has done its fair share of making Sabin's life difficult. The biggest problem is that...more
Emily May

So... this, the fourth book in the Lords of the Underworld series, focuses on Sabin (keeper of doubt) who's previous luck with women has been pretty much non-existent as his tendency to generate doubtful thoughts leads to them becoming increasingly insecure and sometimes even going to the extreme of killing themselves over their personal doubts. Enter the Harpy: the only one capable of overcoming Sabin's demon - but, of course, she has some problems of her own to deal with first.

Sabin is now one...more
Buggy
The Lords Of The Underworld is a fantastic paranormal series that I highly recommend. Filled with sexy, tortured heroes, sizzling love scenes and fun action-filled story lines. I enjoyed the first book The Darkest Night and loved books 2 & 3 The Darkest Pleasure & The Darkest Kiss however book 4 turned out to be my least favorite.

THE DARKEST WHISPER is Sabin's story and he's the keeper of the demon doubt. This gorgeous immortal warrior spends his time on the battlefield because his demo...more
Zeek
Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series is about a group of former guardians to the Gods who ages ago opened Pandora's box and unleashed hell. Unfortunately, as payment for their deeds, they were each assigned a demon from the box to inhabit them to keep the chaos unleashed in check.

After all this time the Lords have learned to live with their misdeed, however noble their thinking might have been at the time. It's not easy to keep their own personal demons in check, but they're dealing.

In The...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Leah
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
This is my favourite book of the series so far! I loved both Sabin and Gwen, as well as the glimpses in to the other Lords lives. Especially Aeron I can't wait for his book, and I think Legion is so cute! I think I may be in the minority in this regard though.

Oh and NIX! Nix from IAD was in it briefly! I would love to have a cross over between the two series, but apparently that isn't gonna happen
Laura the Highland Hussy
Loved it! Loved the tiny but probably important role Nix (from IAD by Kresley Cole) played. I loved Sabin. I loved how we learned a bit more about Legion and Aeron's relationship, cuz it was weird. Maybe aeron's story with the angel will be next? or Torin and Nix? I can't wait!
~J~ Riverina Romantics
I really didnt think I would enjoy reading about Sabin.....but (sigh) I am just so emotionally easy for these warriors.
Gena Showalter is a magnificent author, truely talented.
I wish I could chain her in my basement (which i dont have) and make her write continuously. LOVE YOUR WORK!
Felicity Heaton
The Darkest Whisper, the fourth book in Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series, starts off with a bang that soon fades as the book progresses. The plot wasn’t amazing in this one, mainly focusing on the romance blossoming between the hero, Sabin, the leader of the Greece Lords and keeper of Doubt, and Gwen, a young Harpy female. There are a few fights thrown in to spice things up a bit, but they all felt a little convenient to me. There was no real hints that danger was coming or the en...more
♥ Sarah ♥
4.5

Wow. Just wow. So much happened in this book I couldn't believe it! Unlike some of the previous books in the series, this one was jam freakin' packed with action. It literally had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. For some reason though, these books are falling just short of the five star mark for me. I'm not sure exactly what it is. Perhaps it's the humor element? There's not much humor in there. When William and Anya are interacting, sure. But, I wish there was more overall. Everyth...more
Katie(babs)
Sabin is one of the Lords of the Underworld, an immortal warrior, who because of a mistake he made by opening Pandora's box is now bound by the demon of Doubt. He can barely quiet Doubt and Sabin dares not get too close to another, for the last person he cared about, ended up killing herself. Sabin channels this inner demon and uses doubt as a weapon. Doubt is perfect in stopping their enemies who believe the he and his fellow warriors are evil.

The warriors find an underground lab where their en...more
Buqet
Bu kitap fenaydı. Savaşlar , yeni ırklar , Avcılar... Gena aksiyonlu sahneler yaratmasını iyi biliyor.

Sabin ve diğerleri Mısır'da Piramitlerde Pandora'nın kutusunu gösterecek objelerden birini ararken Avcıların hapsettiği ölümsüz kadınlar bulurlar. Üstelik bu ölümsüz kadınların çoğu hamiledir. Sabin o kadınlar arasında kızıl bir afetti görünce vurulur. Gwen bu savaşçının onu kurtarmaya geldiğine inanamaz. Sabin onun bir Harpy ( Yarı kuş yarı kadın bir mitolojik yaratık) , tehlikeli bir silah o...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
This was good. I liked Gwen and her inner Harpy :)Plus I think red heads are hot!

Didn't think I would like Sabin (Keeper of doubt) honestly doubted (all puns intended) that he would be a worthy read.

Like all the other stories in the series the hero and heroine take an awful long time to stop their petty bickering and realize there undivided sickening love for each other.

As there is already one hundred and one reviews on this book I wont go further.

Just looking forward to Paris book and William...more
Iva
I liked this couple the least, but Gwen was pretty kick-ass so it was still pretty enjoyable. The best part was the situation in Chicago. It was sooo epic! EPIC!EPIC!EPIC!
Ugh, I love this series...
Ilse Snell
Boooooooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiing.

I probably wrote this before, but I'll write it again.
When your supporting characters are more interesting than the main ones, you have a slight problem.
I am usually very favourable towards the Lords of the Underworld series, but this book came way to close to "same sht, different day" for me.
I expected more. More from Sabin; More from Gwen (even though the fact that she is a harpy was kind of interesting for a minute.... then that passed); More from Nix who receiv...more
Melindeeloo
Without a 'Doubt' this romance is the best of the series so far

As Lords of the Underworld race their enemies, the Hunters, to uncover the one artifact which can destroy our demon possessed immortal warriors, the warriors discover not another clue to the location of Pandora's box but their enemies' breeding program. In the midst of the rescue, Sabin (possessed by the demon of Doubt) is drawn to the most dangerous of the captives. Gwen's beauty belies the lethality of her immortal harpy heritage,...more
Liz
Yet another great installment of Lords of the Underworld... Wow, I just can't seem to get enough of these guys!!

The Darkest Whisper focuses on Sabin, Keeper of the Demon, Doubt. Whenever Sabin is around people, Doubt slithers into their minds and plants the seeds of doubt. As you can imagine, this causes a lot of chaos in relationships. Of course, his fellow Lords know what is happening and it doesn't bother them, plus Sabin keeps a pretty short leash on doubt as well.

A group of the Lords, lead...more
Gena Showalter Fans: The Darkest Whisper (LOTU #4) 1 16 Jul 23, 2012 11:23AM
  • Sin Undone (Demonica, #5)
  • Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7)
  • Entwined (Eternal Guardians, #2)
  • Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3)
  • Damien (Nightwalkers, #4)
  • Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl...more
More about Gena Showalter...
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3) The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6)

“Demon?” Gwen gasped out. Her back jerked ramrod-straight, and her face leeched of
color. “Did you just say demon?”

Oh, uh…did I say that?” Strider once again glanced around the plane helplessly. “No, no.
I think I said seaman.”
207 likes
“He’s a love-’em-and-leave-’em kind of guy. And though he’s not a Lord, he does have a curse hanging over his head. I have the book to prove it.”
William growled low in his throat. “Anya! Must you share my secrets with everyone?” He flattened his palms on the arms of his chair. “Fine. If you can spill, I can, too. Anya’s the reason the Titanic sank. She was playing chicken with the icebergs.”
Scowling, Anya anchored her hands on her hips. “William had a bronze made of his penis and placed it on his mantel.”
175 likes