Paris Pan Takes the Dare

Paris Pan Takes the Dare

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  37 reviews
So what if it?s a rite of passage for every seventhgrade girl in town to spend a night in the woods? Paris Pan only just moved here, the woods are supercreepy, and she has enough weirdness to deal with in her own family. Finding out a girl died mysteriously years ago while on the Dare?right near Paris?s new house, no less?is bad enough, but the unmistakably ghostlike noise...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Putnam Juvenile (first published February 12th 2009)

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle ZinkEyes Like Stars by Lisa MantchevThe Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie RyanWings by Aprilynne PikeThe Season by Sarah MacLean
2009 Debutantes
40th out of 58 books — 417 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenShiver by Maggie StiefvaterIf I Stay by Gayle FormanBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 2)
96th out of 198 books — 269 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen
I always feel like I give a book the "kiss of death" when I say that it was a sweet story. Don't misunderstand me - sweet does not mean boring, sappy, or slow. It means that it is a good, heart-warming but "meaty" story. Paris Pan Takes the Dare is a sweet book and perfect for any 3rd -5th grade reader.

Paris and her family have just moved to Sugar Lake (a VERY small community). Moving is nothing new for Paris so when offered the branch of friendship right away, Paris jumps at it. But she may hav...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

Twelve-year-old Paris Pan has just moved to a new town. With a crazy home life, friends who make better enemies, and the boy Paris has a crush on being considered a dork, this move isn't going well.

When Paris learns a girl mysteriously died near her new house while taking the Dare (a seventh grade rite of passage), she's completely freaked out. And now strange noises are coming from the shed. Could the missing girl be trying to make contact?

Paris an...more
Dan Shonka
This is an excellent book about the difficulties youngsters can experience when their family decides to move. Perhaps (like me) you're a bit tired of the glut of fantasy-centered books for children, and young adults. Paris Pan's elements of fantasy don't absolutely dominate the storyline. Ultimately, as it should be with any good story, it's all about the characters' interactions. I really like the way Paris Pan figures it all out in the end. Characters with character rock.
DaNae
What a delightful little gem, a mystery in the tradition of Sammy Keyes, with wise-cracking 7th grade protagonist Paris Pan. Paris moves to a small town in Oklahoma with a total of 10 students in her entire grade. Paris encounters mean girls, dofus boys, outcasts, and a scary secret in the woods surrounding her home.

There had been some discussion about the fact that Paris’s parents spoke broken English, and if it was proper to portray them in such an undignified manner. I was afraid they would...more
Richelle
Mar 23, 2010 Richelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: upper elementary/middle school
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of a First Reads promotion. Paris Pan has an older brother who's embarrassed to be seen with his family, an older sister who is always on the phone, two exhausted workaholic parents, and a dog named Go who always has to....go. She also has a new school, new friends, and The Dare to deal with on top of it all. All she has to do is spend the night in the woods alone. The trouble is that there have been a lot of strange or scary things going on, so Paris is not really u...more
Sandra Stiles
This was my kind of book. It was mysterious enough and light enough to make it a fun read. Paris Pan has a dysfunction family in many ways. Her father builds a house, moves the family into it then goes off to build their next house. The longest Paris has stayed anywhere is eight months. She talks about her school transcripts being longer than a Harry Potter book. When she moves to her newest town she is told there is a right of passage for all seventh grade girls. She wants to fit in but she is...more
Anne Broyles
When Paris Pan moves to a tiny Oklahoma town, she is desperate to make friends, but has few choices. She ends up being chosen by two quasi-mean girls (only one really has enough meanness in her to qualify) who are fascinated by a local ghost story of a murdered girl who used to live on the land where Paris' new house has been built. Liu does a great job building ghost story suspense while also exploring 12-year-old boy-girl relationships, the complications of siblings who are all adrift in thei...more
Laura Pauling
Paris Pan moves to a new town and will do anything to find a group of friends, including spending a night in the woods where a girl's body was found years ago. She is terrified and most of the book is spent leading up to that night. But strange things happens, voices outside her window, a tool shed that seems to be haunted, china dolls being found.

This book has a good mix of her family life, the mystery, and her school life. At the end, she realizes who her true friends are and learns to stick...more
Shelly
Good middle reader! This was a fun book about a young girl who is trying to fit in when her family moves to a new place. Paris' family has moved to a little town, where there are only 4 girls in the 7th grade. Paris tries so hard to make friends, and is accepted by two of the girls, Mayo and Dana. Mayo is a control freak, and decides that all three of the girls will participate in "the dare" for Mayo's 13th birthday. It was a fun read. Easy to get into. Well thought out premise and fun character...more
Michelle Kogan
Moving contemporary story about a young Chinese girl, her family, and how she finds her own true voice despite the many moves and false friendships she encounters.
Cyndi
I would give this a 3.5 star (we really need that ability:)

This is a great coming of age book about an Asian girl,Paris Pan, who is desperately trying to fit in at a new school in a very small town in Oklahoma. As she heads into the world of cliques and what is cool and uncool, she learns some valuable lessons about the true meaning of friendship & sibling rivalry/love. Pre-teen girls will see themselves in Pan, and the family dynamics are hilarious!
Jenny
This is a fun book for girls (about 4th -6th grade). Paris is new in town and trying hard to fit in and make friends. Years before a girl in town died in the forest near Paris' house, and now all girls take "The Dare" to spend the night in the woods when they turn 13. But when spooky things start happening to Paris, she has to decide whether taking the dare is worth it to keep the friends she has. Great realistic fiction with some suspense mixed in.
Peg
Paris is a convincing twelve-year-old; her internal debate is very realistic, as is her first crush and her interactions with family members. Those relationships, while humorous, are a bit stereotypical, as are the characterizations of her two “friends.” Subplots around basketball and her father’s health don’t add much. That said, there’s a lot here that tween girls will relish; they’ll be more than happy with this friendship/ghost/family tale.
D.l. Price
Twelve year olds will be able to relate to Paris Pan. Her life, emotions and actions are so real that I forgot that I was reading a fiction book. Paris Pan's adventure with the Dare had me turning every page to see what happens next. I catogorize a book as amazing when I don't want to put the book down and can't wait to see what awaits on the other side. Paris Pan Takes the Dare did that for this author. Great job Cynthea Liu!
Abby Johnson
Paris Pan, new girl in small town Oklahoma, must take "the dare" to fit in with her new friends at school. But the more she learns about the dare, the less she wants to do it!

I love a book with Asian American characters that's not an Issue book. Solid middle grade fiction; I'll look for more from Cynthea Liu!

Read my full review on my blog: http://abbylibrarian.blogspot.com/200...
Stacy Mozer
Paris Pan Takes the Dare is a great middle grade read. From the silly obsession of the town to have everyone on the basketball team (even if they don't know how to play), to the school relationships of who's in and who's out, and of course, the dare, the book is fun and enjoyable and will be loved by the students in my third grade class. Now I just have to by it on hard copy! (I have it on kindle)
Natisha
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was much more than what I'd expected. I laughed, I nearly cried, and I was sitting on the edge of my seat.

It was a story about fitting in, making friends, first crushes, coping with family, and learning to do the right thing. I read this book straight through and stayed up most of the night to finish it.

I'd highly recommend it.
Theresa Wiseman
Girl named Paris Pan who is new to the community/school
is trying to figure out how to fit in. She learns that
the house she now lives in was the home of Beth Conlon
who was found dead. Questions - Was Beth murdered or was
her death an accident and is Beth's ghost trying to make
contact with Paris? age level 3rd-6th grades
Leigh
Paris Pan is a funny, lovable narrator who is desperately trying to fit in at a new school. As she navigates the muddy waters of cliques and what is cool and uncool, she learns some valuable lessons about the true meaning of friendship. Pre-teen girls will see themselves in Pan, and the family dynamics are hilarious!
Kristi
Paris Pan was a good read. Cynthea Liu created some wonderful characters and such a believable family. The story and Paris are spunky and quirky and make for a light read.

It's great to read about this family and I hope more books with ethnic families will be written as well and believable as this was!
Kathy
Paris is 12 when she moves yet again, this time to very small-town Oklahoma, on the land where a girl died (was *murdered*?). Issues of true friendship, family values, female bullying and doing the right thing, I liked how she acted like a real 12-year-old: maddening, self-centered, naive.
Erin
Paris Pan moves a lot, has trouble maintaining friendships, and a family that doesn't really see her. Now she lives in a teeny tiny town, has to play basketball, and *might* be making friends...if only she can get past the murder mystery that literally haunts her backyard. A fun read!
Mary Peterson
Paris Pan is adorable! It's a ghost story. It's a mystery. It's a small Oklahoma town where a new girl is trying to fit in. Plus a creepy shed out back. Loved it.
Jenna
I think this book is a really great book for a mystery. It seems a little scary,but in the end it is not scary at all. I love the end of this book, i would recommend it.
Sydney
Jul 17, 2009 Sydney added it
Spunky Paris made me laugh over and over again as she managed new friendships, family struggles, and a possibly haunted forest in her backyard.
C. McKenzie
Young readers will love the adventure. I loved Paris, but I also loved her family. All the characters are well-drawn and interesting.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This one isn't set around Halloween, but it's filled with chills and thrills perfect for the season.
Michele
This was a cute juv / YA book. It was very enjoyable, but the ending was a little confusing.
Jenn Estepp
okay, overall. but the supporting characters bugged the crap out of me.
Abstractelf
This book was pretty cute. It was entertaining to read it.
  • The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z.
  • Sliding on the Edge
  • Winnie's War
  • Any Which Wall
  • Stupid Cupid (Stupid Cupid, #1)
  • Dani Noir
  • Fortune's Folly
  • Mudville
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love
  • Donut Days
  • Secrets of Truth and Beauty
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters
  • Eighth-Grade Superzero
  • Shine, Coconut Moon
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Cicada Summer
  • The Year the Swallows Came Early
Cynthea spent her formative years in Oklahoma and Texas where she was a Whiz Quiz member, an Academic Decathloner, and a spelling bee champion. (Yes, she was very popular.) After attending college on the East coast, she worked at a corporate job where she mastered PowerPoint and racked up thousands of frequent flyer miles. Eventually, she traded in her suit for sweats to do the fun stuff–writing f...more
More about Cynthea Liu...
The Great Call of China Wooby & Peep: A Story of Unlikely Friendship Writing for Children and Teens: A Crash Course (How to Write, Revise, and Publish a Kid's or Teen Book with Children's Book Publishers) How to Write a Synopsis for a Children's or Teen Book [Article] (Writing for Children and Teens: A Crash Course) How to Find a Literary Agent or Publisher for your Children's or Teen Book (Writing for Children and Teens: A Crash Course)