Second Skin

Second Skin

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Beauty is only skin deep. Popularity goes much deeper. . . .

Appearances can be deceiving. Sam Klein’s found that out firsthand. All she wanted was to be popular. But sometimes what we want is the absolute worst thing for us.

Sam discovers that Kylie, It-girl of Woodlawn High, owes her popular status not to her expensive clothes, highlighted hair, and spot on the cheerleadin...more
Published July 14th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Second Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Skin

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenShiver by Maggie StiefvaterIf I Stay by Gayle FormanBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
TRT's 2009 Gotta Have 'Em List! (Part 2)
89th out of 198 books — 267 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAlong for the Ride by Sarah DessenJessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth FantaskeyThe Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
YA Novels of 2009
131st out of 212 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucy
All Sam wants is to be popular. Her best friends, Gwen and Alex are content with their "things", and couldn't care less about high school popularity--overweigh Gwen is a foodie and gourmet chef, and quirky Alex is a stargazing car-tinkerer. But Sam is desperate to be part of the in-crowd.

And then she discovers that her high school's it-girl has a secret: her popularity didn't come from her fashion sense, or innate coolness, or anything else that can be duplicated naturally. She has a Skin, a mag...more
Katie
Second Skin was a very new take on popularity. Instead of being something that was based on looks, clothes, and friends, it was based on the Second Skin. It’s like this thing that makes you popular overnight, all you have to do is wear it over your own skin. How weird is that?

From the very start of the book, I knew I wasn’t going to like Sam Klein. She was horribly rude to her friends and her whole goal in life was to become popular. I couldn’t believe how shallow and self-centered she was. She...more
Kayla Denine
Liz Wollman
The best damned modern interpretation of "Portrait of Dorian Gray" for the teen set EVER.
Amelia
Only made it 50 pages in before I lost interest.
Lauren
Feb 11, 2010 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Second Skin was an intriguing read that continually held my attention, but it was a bit.... strange and weird, at times.

Second Skin is based on the idea that every It-girl out there didn't just get that way on her on, instead she has a second skin made of polestar, which gives her the magic to be popular, loved, and envied by all. Yeah, as said above, it was certainly interesting, but strange at the same time. Though the one good thing that came from it's weirdness is that it made me constantly...more
Michelle Rebar
Have you ever wondered what makes someone popular? Is it the hair, clothes and make-up? Maybe it's how she acts or who she knows. Ever thought it could be that she's got money or power? What does put some people on the top rung of the social ladder while others are stuck hanging on from below? What possible advantage could the A-Listers have that the rest of us don't? Well, what if there is more to it than we could ever imagine?

Samantha Kline is an ordinary girl with a less than ordinary status...more
Yan
This book was weird. It was like an extraterrestrial life-form came to Earth and crawled onto unsuspecting teenage girls.

Second Skin told of a girl who wanted to be popular and she’s desperate. Desperate enough that she’s willing to steal a Skin. Not just any skin but the Skin. The one that transform you from nobody and somebody.

Sam grows through a journey where she questions if popularity is what she truly wanted. I mean she practically destroyed her old friendship and instead made new ones th...more
alexis
Pub Date : July 14, 2009

Summary: Popularity. A-List. Worshipped. The IT Girl.

Those are things every girl wants during her high school career.

What if you could have all those things?

Would you leave everything about your old life behind? Even your best friends?

Why not, right? I mean, you would be popular.

That's what happens to Samantha Klein one day.

The most popular girl in school becomes her next door neighbor.

Sam finds out why Kylie is so popular.

It's not because of her clothes, her hair, her sp...more
Kelsey
Mar 15, 2010 Kelsey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Well Second Skin was… interesting. That’s all I can say. I didn’t enjoy it, but I didn’t dislike it. The whole book revolved around the main character, Sam, who was obsessed with popularity, popular people, and being popular herself. I understand at times some people will wish they were more popular, but for Sam it was her life. She secretly disrespected her best friends, hated her parents, and scorned herself. I just didn’t like Sam at all. The fact that when the chance came for her to actually...more
Jessica
Second Skin came with a great message. As Sam becomes more popular her schedule begins to fill (her priorities begin to change) and she doesn't have time for the things she used to consider important in her life. Like her adorably geeky guy friend Alex, overly opinionated, star chef, best friend Gwen, and obsessedly activist parents. Sam learns some really valuable lessons and being yourself through her popularity.

This novel was hilarious. I found Sam's voice quirky and real. With quotes like "I...more
Ashley Manzueta
Second Skin by Jessica Wallman is about a girl named Sam who is dying to be Kylie, a popular girl in her school. When Sam finds out Kylie is moving next door, she gets exciting, figuring this is a way to get popular. A few days after Kylie moves in, Sam sneaks into her house to look for her. She finds Kylie and is surprised to find out that its not just Kylies personality that makes her popular, its something else.

Text to text connection. I would connect this to Rymes with Witches. Its about a g...more
Lisa
Sam is the not so popular girl at school. That is until the most popular girl in the whole school moves next door to her. Kylie has some secrets of her own. Sam quickly becomes popular out of the blue then looses it all. The secret is skin. Kylie has a fake skin which somehow makes her really popular.
I can make a text to world connection, lots of girls who are "losers" and they take a popular girls things to become popular. but then karma adds up and they are losers again. Karma is BAD. But it...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Andrea for TeensReadToo.com

Samantha Klein will do anything it takes to be popular and to be part of the "In" crowd. And when she discovers the secret to just how the current queen of the A-list got her popularity, Sam makes the secret her own.

But once she gets her wish, she might just discover that it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

I thought that this was a cute book. I liked the idea of a second skin - I thought it was a new concept, or at least one that I hadn't read before....more
Andrea
Samantha Klein will do anything it takes to be popular and to be part of the A-list crowd. And when she discovers the secret to just how the current queen of the A-list got her popularity, Sam makes the secret her own. But once she gets her wish, she might just discover that its not all that it's cracked up to be.

I thought that this was a cute book. I liked the idea of a second skin--I thought it was a new concept, or at least one that I hadn't read before. And while there was nothing too deep i...more
Esther
I didn't give this four stars because of its literary quality. I gave this four stars because it's just an enjoyable, fun, light read.

Sam is dying to be popular. She thinks opportunity knocks when Kyle, the "it girl" in school moves next door. But Kylie wants nothing to do with her. But Sam persists and therefore finds out Kylie's secret to popularity. A second skin. Slip it on and suddenly everyone notices you. So Sam steals the skin from Kylie and now it's her turn to be popular.

Somewhat pred...more
Jenn
This book could have been so much more interesting. It had a good premise, it had interesting characters, but in the end, it was just... meh.

The feelings of the characters wasn't explored. I don't think they responded as passionately as real teens would have. I don't think there were appropriate consequences for her actions. I don't think there was proper explanation of the reason why the skin started to malfunction.

Basically, I think the story needed another round of revision.

At least it was a...more
Ashley Hackenmiller
My thoughts:

Second Skin was not what I expected, it was better! Not the typical want to be popular story, by any means. The skin aspect was so unique and I was shocked at how in-depth Jessica was able to get. Usually if a book has fantasy in it then an author gets detached. Go buy a copy!

Recommendation: A must for all teen girls!

What I was hearing as I wrote: Fire Burning- Sean Kingston and Long Shot- Katy Perry
Mercedes
This book was so easy to read. I gave it three stars but in terms of writing style it's more like a two. I just had to know what happened to the second skin. The plot was predictable, the characters pretty one dimensional and it lacked the sophistication of most current YA novels still I think the idea was pretty original and I actually enjoyed it. I would recommend it.
Karen Zheng
Really fictional, not possible, but good. It is almost like a typical teenage story, but also fictional and not real. If you read it, you'd know. It's good, just not great.
Jewek
this book was amazing this book is about a girl who wants to fit in and be popular and how when she becomes popular its not the life she ecpected
Annie
Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it had a good message
Christine Sara
another chic flic but still, Second Skin gives readers a moral lesson... its becoming who you are and accepting it. ;)
Tamara
How bizarre! One of my students wanted me to read this so I did. Strange what teenage girls will do to be popular!!
Terri
the narrator was whiny...ewww
Karmina Santos
Too predictable.
Ariela
Great book!
Evangelyn
Evangelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Switched Tell Me Who Andrew's Bright Blue T-Shirt Bunches of Fun The Chipster's Sister