Start by marking “Personality Type” as Want to Read:
Personality Type

Personality Type

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The type test inside will tell you about the choices you've made and the direction you're taking—according to C. G. Jung's theory of psychological types.

For Jung, knowing your type was essential to understanding yourself: a way to measure personal growth and change. But his ideas have been applied largely in the areas of career and marital counseling, so type has come to
Published October 27th 1998 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Personality Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personality Type

Andrew Fuentes
The best resource for information on MBTI. As you should know, the test in the front is no substitute for a real evaluation and is only meant to be a precursor to get the ball rolling on your type if you happen to be new to the topic.

Thomson explains in detail the science behind the topic, which is greatly appreciated. She does not stray into pop culture's take on MBTI and thus avoids pigeonholing people in the process. Society seems to have taken MBTI too far and turned it into another social
Kristina
I've read quite a few books on typology lately, and this one is my favorite thus far. They all have something to offer, but this one is particularly great for someone who wants to know more about typology than just how to find a companion or job. It delves into the science of typology and why we prefer certain functions. It also clears up a lot of the misinformation on brain hemispheres. I recommend this if you are at all interested in the why's behind typology.
Jack
This one came as a recommendation and I'm glad I read it. I didn't realize the Myer-Briggs personality typing isn't just some pop psychology, but is actually grounded in much of Jung's work. It was a solid read, if perhaps a bit long, but Ms. Thompson does a nice job of providing clear, socially relevant examples of each type. Plus, she's a fairly engaging non-fiction writer.
Recollectedstephanie
Best, most thorough, most illuminating read about the 16 Jungian Meyers-Briggs types.
Kelly
Lucid and thorough. Provides clear descriptions of the four functions in both attitudes and, even better, relates them to Western society (and pop media examples).
Janet
An excellent book if you ever took the MBTI personality assessment and want to know what all those letters really stand for. Thomson looks at each personality type and analyzes it in a Jungian approach. Since this is a model and not a science, its accuracy is anyone's guess, but I did find my type analysis (INTJ) accurate and useful.
Sarah V
I have read most MBTI personality books and this one is by far the best. It's a bit uneven in its coverage of the material, but Lenore has a knack for combining the technical and the anecdotal (her extensive use of pop culture references is particularly amusing). Overall an approachable guide to Jungian functional theory.
Nora
This book contains a more sophisticated analysis of Jungian personality types and the dynamics of how the different elements interact. As a bonus, it is illustrated with witty cartoons! Kidding aside, a very good book if you want to know more than just what the four letters stand for.
Elliedakota
The N/S categories don't score out right - the questions are misleading and don't take into account outside factors (ex: food allergies) - the statements are too specific. Not much new info in this book, not much I didn't already know from other books.
Levi
I didn't finish this book, but it's a great way to learn more about the Myers-Briggs Personality Assessment and how it affects every day communication between everyone. I intend to read it all the way through at some point.
I'm an INFJ. What are you?
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Peter
Peter is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Zsofia
Zsofia marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Camille Branton
Camille Branton marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Lilian Ortega
Lilian Ortega marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Rohan De
Rohan De marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Selid
Selid marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Weirdo90
Weirdo90 marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery
  • Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work
  • Psychological Types
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • The Essential Enneagram
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Self-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Inner Wholeness Using Ifs, a New, Cutting-Edge Therapy
  • Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings
  • The Cult of Personality: How Personality Tests Are Leading Us to Miseducate Our Children, Mismanage Our Companies, and Misunderstand Ourselves
  • Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of a Modern Disease
  • The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships
Out of the Whirlwind: Ptsd and the Archetype of Job: The Journey of a Traumatized Combat Nurse to Meet the Divine Within The Cosmic Circle: The Unification Of Mind, Matter And Energy Stay Healthy (An Alfred handy guide) Stay fit!: a 12-week men's fitness program : lose weight--build endurance--improve appearance--reduce stress

“For one thing, our society is relentlessly external. When we feel frustrated or dissatisfied, our first impulse is to blame our job, partner, or environment for our lack of interest. We’re encouraged at every turn to solve the problem by embarking on a new career, finding a more exciting love life, or starting a hobby. Usually, however, a feeling of restlessness or dissatisfaction occurs not because our outer situation has lost its appeal but because our unexpressed potential has no other way to get our attention. If anything, our unlived possibilities claim our attention most insistently when we’ve built an outer life strong enough to withstand their realization. The theory of psychological types offers a kind of vocabulary for recognizing and talking about the different ways this sort of thing happens to people. It tells us how our personalities take shape, depending on the gifts and strengths we put into play, and what kinds of inner possibilities may be trying to get our attention.” 1 likes
“One of the reasons for learning about type is to recognize that we are constantly motivated, simply by the way we’ve established our neural networks, to shape reality along particular functional lines. Another is to recognize the possibilities for growth and change that exist within—and apart from—the framework we have created for ourselves. Even small changes in our usual way of doing things can make big differences in the way our brain is operating. We develop the ability to think in new ways, and this stimulates creative change in all areas of our lives.” 1 likes