Start by marking “Perfect Love” as Want to Read:
Perfect Love

Perfect Love

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  14 reviews
How far would she go for the Perfect Love?

Many things can disrupt a long-time marriage. Prue Valour, 41, has spent her adulthood keeping house, making meals for her older husband, Max, and being a mother to their preadolescent daughter. Despite the comforts of life in their small English village, a vague discontent nags at Prue. But change is set in motion with the return
Published July 4th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Love

Perfect Love by Elizabeth Buchan is a women’s fiction novel, about Prue a woman, wife, mother, and stepmother in her forties, who begins to be lured into infidelity. This is a classic midlife crisis family drama novel, with complex family relationships and situations. There is also an awkward running Joan of Arc metaphor that really doesn't work and could be eliminated from the novel altogether.

I have read several of Elizabeth Buchan’s books and I have a strange relationship with them, I always
Well sketched characters. Ending could have been a bit less abrupt. However, it is realistically portrayed. An essentially good woman's feeling of being torn between her family obligations vs. her own self-hood. The Joan analogy doesn't work well though. Intrusive wherever it is brought in, and takes away from the overall effect- these sections can be skipped with no loss to reader. Average older-chic-lit.

Finished reading: Perfect Love / Elizabeth Buchanan ...... 26.08.2015
ISBN 10: 0330344730
ISBN 13: 9780330344739

Back to an Aga saga after a bit of a break, and what a disappointment. I kept reading hoping there would be a bright spot at the end – but there wasn't.

This story is populated with characters who are, variously, selfish, self-centred, stupid, immature, weak, lacking self-control, manipulative .... and by the end there was scarcely an improvement in any of them.

This is a bleak story about
I have always loved any of Buchan's books, but I found this one to be a more difficult read. It was good, but it took me a while to finish
I could identify with Prue. Her husband and step-daughter really didn't appreciate her.
Susan Sawicki
A Slow Story

I chose this rating because it felt like this story never really got off the ground. The middle chapters were stagnant, with the most lively and interesting aspects occurring in the last few chapters.
the tension of relationships, adultery and love are felt on every page. i read this last of all her books and it was excellent
Pretty deep for chick lit! It got better and better as it went on, and then it started getting super deep without warning. However, the Joan of Arc metaphor was intrusive, obnoxious, and a stretch. She should re-release the book without it.
Heather Parker
Too boring to finish. I hate putting books down halfway, but this one just couldn't hold my interest and I didn't want to waste time.
Sep 27, 2012 Carrie added it
Shelves: i-quit
Too much like real life. I read about half of it, and it was good. Don't let my desire for fantasy/sci fi stop you.
Emma Long
This looks at the sad reality of an affair from all the people involveds perspectives. A good read.
I really like her books. Entertaining and smart - a rare combination.
would read more of Elizabeth Buchan's books
It was ok an easy read
Kiya added it
Nov 15, 2015
Luzser1800 marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Johanna Miller
Johanna Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Bongiwe marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Missy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Debby marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Barbara Larson
Barbara Larson is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Frances Arnold
Frances Arnold marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Lisa of Hopewell
Lisa of Hopewell marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
  • The Colour of Hope
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Wild Oats
  • A Death Divided
  • Jane Austen: Three Complete Novels: Sense and Sensibility; Pride and Prejudice; Emma
  • The Tall Pine Polka / Your Oasis on Flame Lake
  • The Book Borrower
  • I Shot Daddy
  • Catch Me Before I Fall
  • Finding Peace for Your Heart: A Woman's Guide to Emotional Health
  • Second Time Around
  • Before We Say Goodbye
Elizabeth Buchan began her career as a blurb writer at Penguin Books after graduating from the University of Kent with a double degree in English and History. She moved on to become a fiction editor at Random House before leaving to write full time. Her novels include the prizewinning Consider the Lily – reviewed in the Independent as ‘a gorgeously well written tale: funny, sad and sophisticated’. ...more
More about Elizabeth Buchan...