Start by marking “Chicago Then and Now” as Want to Read:
Chicago Then and Now

Chicago Then and Now

The latest installment in the popular Then and Now series showcases the capital of the Heartland and one of the premier cities in the nation and the world: Chicago. Chicago's change and growth over the last century is captured in this photographic history. Modern color photos sit side by side with black and white archival photographs. Every important building, avenue, neig ...more
Published May 10th 2002 by Thunder Bay Press (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Chicago Then and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicago Then and Now

The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBinding Arbitration by Elizabeth MarxThe Jungle by Upton SinclairDivergent by Veronica Roth
Books Set in Chicago
69th out of 354 books — 270 voters
The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonSin in the Second City by Karen AbbottThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Jungle by Upton SinclairThe Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Chicago in history and fiction
25th out of 145 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Jul 02, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at a used bookstore about a year ago and it just sat on my night table. A minute before we were leaving for Chicago I grabbed it and read it on the plane. So interesting! I read about Daniel Burnham quite a bit in The Devil and the White City, so it was nice to have that background. Then, walking around Chicago was even more interesting than normal - just wish we had had more time there.
BB
Jun 08, 2014 BB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this as a gift for someone, and it's sure worth the money! The quality is great, and some of the comparisons are surprising and interesting. If you're hoping for an overview, most of the "before" pictures were taken between the 1920s and 1940s.
Angela Garza
Oct 30, 2014 Angela Garza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
Buena explicacion breve de la historia y arquitectura de Chicago, y el analisis del pasado y presente de cada area.
Suzy Prybell
Jan 23, 2008 Suzy Prybell rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Architecture lovers, Chicago buffs
Recommended to Suzy by: Kelly F.
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an interesting look at the city from the Chicago Fire to present day. It was interesting to see the changes, and how unfortunately the beautiful architecture erected in the late 1800s was torn down for more functionally ugly buildings in the 70s. I did learn some about the city I've grown up in, and it really made me want to take the Chicago River architectural tour this spring. Nerd Alert.
TJ
Jun 07, 2016 TJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
During a recent trip to Chicago I purchased this as a souvenir of the trip. It is full of some great old pictures and pictures of how the city is in 2012. I enjoyed the book very much, it brought back great memories and educated me on things we missed about the city.
Ram
Aug 28, 2008 Ram rated it really liked it
As local interest works go, this one is pretty interesting. I wish there were more pictures of some of the old structures that have since been replaced by "modern," black-box buildings. This book can retail for a lot, so pick it up used if possible.
Kim
Mar 04, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I love me a good picture book. So crazy trying to match up old Chicago pictures to what the city is like now. Also, I'm a little sad how many of the beautiful buildings were torn down. Architectural history, gone.
Dec 30, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great coffee table book for anyone interested in history or Chicago.
Luiza
Sep 23, 2014 Luiza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Beautiful pictures and interesting details about some places in Chicago. Very interesting to know which transformations happened along the years, and how places were before.
Sandy  Kemp
Jan 25, 2013 Sandy Kemp rated it really liked it
I read new 2nd edition by Kathleen Maguire. Quite enjoyable as I'm a Chicago-born girl.
Sean Evans
Chicago Then and Now (Then & Now) by Elizabeth McNulty (2000)
Jessica
A wonderful trip down Chicago's memory lane.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Mike Doyle
Mike Doyle rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Małgorzata
Małgorzata rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Yoni Bain
Yoni Bain marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Joey King
Joey King rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
TrumanCoyote
TrumanCoyote rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Kyle Kruszewski
Kyle Kruszewski marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Jun Yang
Jun Yang marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Alycia
Alycia rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016