Start by marking “Chicago Then and Now” as Want to Read:
Chicago Then and Now

Chicago Then and Now

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The latest installment in the popular Then and Now series showcases the capital of the Heartland and one of the premier cities in the nation and the world: Chicago. Chicago's change and growth over the last century is captured in this photographic history. Modern color photos sit side by side with black and white archival photographs. Every important building, avenue, neig ...more
Published May 10th 2002 by Thunder Bay Press (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Chicago Then and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicago Then and Now

The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBinding Arbitration by Elizabeth MarxThe Jungle by Upton SinclairDivergent by Veronica Roth
Books Set in Chicago
94th out of 289 books — 231 voters
The Four Books of Architecture by Andrea PalladioThe Ten Books on Architecture by VitruviusA Pattern Language by Christopher W. AlexanderA Field Guide to American Houses by Virginia McAlesterThe Architecture of the City by Aldo Rossi
Best Traditional Architecture
75th out of 97 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

BB
Got this as a gift for someone, and it's sure worth the money! The quality is great, and some of the comparisons are surprising and interesting. If you're hoping for an overview, most of the "before" pictures were taken between the 1920s and 1940s.
Angela Garza
Buena explicacion breve de la historia y arquitectura de Chicago, y el analisis del pasado y presente de cada area.
Suzy Prybell
Jan 23, 2008 Suzy Prybell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Architecture lovers, Chicago buffs
Recommended to Suzy by: Kelly F.
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an interesting look at the city from the Chicago Fire to present day. It was interesting to see the changes, and how unfortunately the beautiful architecture erected in the late 1800s was torn down for more functionally ugly buildings in the 70s. I did learn some about the city I've grown up in, and it really made me want to take the Chicago River architectural tour this spring. Nerd Alert.
Ram
As local interest works go, this one is pretty interesting. I wish there were more pictures of some of the old structures that have since been replaced by "modern," black-box buildings. This book can retail for a lot, so pick it up used if possible.
Kim
I love me a good picture book. So crazy trying to match up old Chicago pictures to what the city is like now. Also, I'm a little sad how many of the beautiful buildings were torn down. Architectural history, gone.
A great coffee table book for anyone interested in history or Chicago.
Luiza
Beautiful pictures and interesting details about some places in Chicago. Very interesting to know which transformations happened along the years, and how places were before.
Sandy  Kemp
I read new 2nd edition by Kathleen Maguire. Quite enjoyable as I'm a Chicago-born girl.
Sean Evans
Chicago Then and Now (Then & Now) by Elizabeth McNulty (2000)
Jessica
A wonderful trip down Chicago's memory lane.
Garril
Trisha Rich
Trisha Rich marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Stephanie Valenta
Stephanie Valenta marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Renee
Renee added it
Jul 30, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Timothy Breen
Timothy Breen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Tienxd_kt
Tienxd_kt marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
St. Louis Then and Now Boston Then and Now Missouri Botanical Garden Missouri Botanical Garden: Green for 150 Years, 1859-2009