Start by marking “Mateo Falcone” as Want to Read:
Mateo Falcone

Mateo Falcone

A Short Story from France
On leaving Porto-Vecchio from the northwest and directing his steps towards the interior of the island, the traveller will notice that the land rises rapidly, and after three hours' walking over tortuous paths obstructed by great masses of rock and sometimes cut by ravines, he will find himself on the border of a great mâquis. The mâquis is the do
Published December 28th 2000 by Flammarion (first published 1829)

To ask other readers questions about Mateo Falcone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mateo Falcone

Sivoj
A very short story, around ten pages, so everything happens quickly. We are introduced to the customs of Corsica, a scene happens, the end. Any spoiler would disclose everything. Prosper Mérimée's prose is simple and direct; it reads itself. However, I would not qualify this story as "emotional" like other reviewers : it's just too short for that. I would like a novel on this theme, written in the same way. As it is I will not have an imperishable memory of it, even if it's nice.

Une histoire tr
გუგა მალიაძე
ცუდი არ იყო... :)
José Manuel
Dec 31, 2016 José Manuel rated it really liked it
Cuentos ambientados en la rústica y tradicional sociedad corsa.
Dione Basseri
Jun 28, 2015 Dione Basseri rated it did not like it
I'm having this problem with French short story authors from the late 19th century. They seem to write far, far too long introductions. Modern authors could rewrite these stories at a half the size, if not even less. The result is that, at the end of the story, you have no idea what was actually important.

In "Mateo Falcone," the titular character isn't introduced until very late in the story, where he brings his son home after falling afoul of the law, and then...murders him. And...I honestly do
Naelah
Feb 24, 2015 Naelah rated it liked it
le pere a tue son fils qui a 10 ans parcequ'il a commit une trahison,a mon avis et puisque la conte n'a pas assez de details,l'un qui merite la punition c'est le pere.
Les enfants sont innocents est ils imitent ce qu'ils voient. alors c'est le pere qui n'a pas donne assez d'attention a l'enseignement de son fils.
les 3 etoiles sont pour la descriptions des lieux et des evenements.
Patrice Hollmann
May 22, 2010 Patrice Hollmann rated it did not like it
it was strange. in the beginning I really liked Mateo. he seemd to be a good man a bit Vito Corleone's type. Fortunato was a bad chil really but such punishment was toooo much I think. the vook gives you absolutely nothing, you just feel angry after reading it.
Sarawut Kururatphan
Dec 08, 2015 Sarawut Kururatphan rated it liked it
This story is very effective in making me distort in disgust. Die like a Christian? I don't think so. 3/5 for this emotion-stirring. Still, I recommmend anyone who's inclined to Romanticism read this.
Eric
Nov 10, 2009 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bastante interesante. Me gustó mucho descubrir que el cuento costarricense de Uvieta, por Carmen Lyra; fue inspirado en una de las narraciones de Mérimée. Los cuentos son agradables, inclusive la narración grotesca de una corrida de toros.
Sandy Khomenko
Sep 18, 2014 Sandy Khomenko rated it really liked it
Wow! That was intense! Really good story about a man who cherishes his honor more than he cherishes his son.
Nino
Mar 02, 2012 Nino rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Very interesting and strange.
I liked Mateo Falcone's charactre.There was too much punishment at the end but it was impressionable.

Joey alabanza
Jul 11, 2010 Joey alabanza rated it it was amazing
since i read the story i never forget the ending...i cant accept if it is the real ending...too much punishment..
Keith
"Mateo Falcone" is cruel and disturbing short story involving family honor taking place in Corsica about 1829.
Brittany
Dec 02, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
See Fin's Review. Even though Joe told me how it ended, I was not expecting to have all of these Fortunato feels!
Anna Pagava
Anna Pagava rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2014
Tiger
Tiger rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
Artur Safaryan
Artur Safaryan rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Karina Kruchinina
Karina Kruchinina rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Aung Thar
Aung Thar rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2017
Saniyat Magamedova
Saniyat Magamedova rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
Lisett Vahesalu
Lisett Vahesalu rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2016
Bloche
Bloche rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Valderonce
Valderonce rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Tata
Tata rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Meri Davitadze
Meri Davitadze rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2012
Giorgi Tskhakaia
Giorgi Tskhakaia rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2013
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Ratsorizzo
Ratsorizzo rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2015
  • A Day in the Country
  • The Shot
  • გველის პერანგი
  • The Sniper
  • Contes du jour et de la nuit
  • Kew Gardens
  • ადამიანთა სევდა
  • ხევისბერი გოჩა
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
Prosper Mérimée was a French dramatist, historian, archaeologist, and short story writer. He is perhaps best known for his novella Carmen, which became the basis of Bizet's opera Carmen.
Mérimée loved mysticism, history, and the unusual, and may have been influenced by Charles Nodier (though he did not appreciate his works), the historical fiction popularised by Sir Walter Scott and the cruelty and
More about Prosper Mérimée...