Start by marking “North from Rome” as Want to Read:
North from Rome

North from Rome

Bill Lammiter, a young American playwright, has lost his girl and is on the point of leaving Rome. Then Lammiter saves a mysterious Italian girl from a beating and the fat is in the fire.

A kidnapping, a battle in a Renaissance villa, a shrewd gamekeeper, a chance snapshot and a touring preppy contribute to the excitement and suspense of this story, and also prove a testing
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published March 12th 1982 by Fawcett (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about North from Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about North from Rome

Kate
Aug 11, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
I picked this up at a library sale recently. Having read it during a pregnancy many years ago, I wondered if it held up. Sort of, it is a diversion, a spy novel of the old sort, with charming characters, about the drug trade in the 1950's. MacInnes is a lady writer of the old school, whose idea of roughness hasn't a patch on what you read in modern novels. Honestly, some days that appeals. In my life, people really do deal with one another with a certain basic decency. Perhaps that means my life ...more
Donna
Spy novelist, Helen McInnes, is back with the re-release of her 1950s stories of espionage, communists, and the Cold War. Plots are more realistic than Bond and the travel writing is great. I'm glad to see the books back in attractive print and ebook. Typical of the author's times, the villains are the communists and male/female roles are stereotypes from the 50s. Since her husband was in the British intelligence WW II some of the antidotes may be embellishments of the real deal.
Three stars on t
Melanie Jackson
Feb 28, 2013 Melanie Jackson rated it really liked it
All Helen MacInnes books are fun, excellent period pieces and North From Rome is no exception. Bill Lammiter is a playwrite who gets caught up in skullduggery while searching for an ex-girl friend in Rome. It's the small guy taking a stand against the forces of chaos and doing his best to cope in a situation that is beyond his realm of expertise.

Through no fault of its own though, I can't help but compare this story to another book set in Italy (Ride A Pale Horse)Ride a Pale Horse which I liked
Beth
Jul 09, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
This novel by Helen MacInnes was not one of my favorites by her, but still enjoyable. Bill Lammiter is an American playwright visiting Rome who is preparing to leave after being jilted by his fiancee. He followed her to Rome, where he finds that she has become engaged to someone else - a rich Italian. Lammiter gets involved in helping another young woman, and it turns out she is connected with some people trying to bring down a group of communist drug smugglers - who happen to be connected with ...more
Greer Andjanetta
Oct 02, 2013 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it
Helen MacInnes' stories deal with mystery, intrigue and sometimes murder, usually based in Europe. There is usually a young man who saves a young girl from danger and they end up in love.
This story follows the formula and is set in Italy. Quite readable and entertaining.
Theresa
Jun 24, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Held up wonderfully - I think I actually enjoyed it more than when I first read it! MacInnes still holds the attention, and there is a certain timelessness to her books.
Janette
Jun 21, 2015 Janette rated it liked it
This book wasn't as exciting or suspenseful as her earlier books.
Julia
Aug 25, 2012 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spies
One of my least favorite Helen MacInnes books. I re-read it recently because I couldn't remember what this one was about, and now I know why I didn't remember.

MacInnes' books reflect the times that she wrote. In the 1940s the villains were Nazis. In the 1950s the bad guys were Communists. In the 1970s, the Communists were still there but terrorists began to be the main villains.

This is clearly a Cold War novel. The bad guy is a Communist running a drug ring. The good guy, Bill Lammiter, is an Am
Feb 14, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: espionage, suspense, italy
A few parts were excellent, and I could see it playing in my mind like a stylish '50s suspense movie à la To Catch a Thief. But it felt like a strangely paced first draft in other places. Too much of the plot relied on people standing around and giving lengthy (often repetitive or unnecessary) explanations.
Jodi
Aug 20, 2015 Jodi rated it it was ok
I don't know why I bothered to read the whole book. So I could use it for my reading challenge I suppose. But really, the thing lumbered along tediously for pages and pages. I've read two decent MacInnes books and I guess I keep hoping to find another, but no dice.
Linda
May 30, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
A Cold-War thriller, featuring American Bill Lammiter who follows a former girlfriend to Rome and becomes involved in intrigue and suspense.
Melody Klink
Jul 09, 2015 Melody Klink rated it liked it
Another good, old fashioned spy novel.
Kathy
Jun 27, 2013 Kathy added it
started 5/27/14
Julie
May 03, 2015 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found it dated, and the prose annoying. Not a keeper
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2010
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
J
J rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2007
Cmgren
Cmgren rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2010
Tracy Nichols
Tracy Nichols rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2012
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2010
Kim Kaso
Kim Kaso rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2007
Roberta
Roberta rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2011
Sujana C
Sujana C rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Guy
Guy rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2008
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
May 12, 2013
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Turncoat
  • Caravan to Vaccares
  • Mars the Avenger (A Judge Marcus Flavius Severus Mystery in Ancient Rome, #1)
  • The Adventurous Four
  • Runaway Bride
  • Sacred Games (The Athenian Mysteries, #3)
  • Airs Above the Ground
  • The Truth About Food: What You Eat Can Change Your Life
  • Wings Above the Diamantina (Bony, #3)
  • Sixtinische Verschwörung
  • Summertime
  • Verlies
  • Homegoing
Helen MacInnes was a Scottish-American author of espionage novels. She graduated from the University of Glasgow in Scotland in 1928 with a degree in French and German. A librarian, she married Professor Gilbert Highet in 1932 and moved with her husband to New York in 1937 so he could teach classics at Columbia University. She wrote her first novel, Above Suspicion, in 1939. She wrote many bestsell ...more
More about Helen MacInnes...