Four Views on the Book of Revelation

Four Views on the Book of Revelation

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Of all the books of the Bible, few are as fascinating or as bewildering as Revelation. Its images grip the imagination: four grim horsemen, the Antichrist, the ten-horned beast, the ultimate battle at Armageddon, and, of course, 666, the mark of the beast, variously interpreted to signify everything from Hitler and Krushchev to credit cards and the Internet. Is the book of...more
Published April 6th 1998 by Zondervan (first published April 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Four Views on the Book of Revelation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Views on the Book of Revelation

Jacob Aitken
This is one of the better volumes in the counter-point series. In short, it went like this:

1. Gentry presented the typical partial-preterist argument. Since Revelation says these things will soon take place, then it must mean they will quickly take place for the people to whom the letter is written. Hidden in this assumption and throughout Gentry's work is the idea that Revelation was written pre-70 A.D.

The problem with Gentry's line of reasoning is that his system gives no indicator on why som...more
Lee Harmon
This book presents the book of Revelation from four different perspectives. After about a 30-page overview, four different authors present their insights.

Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr. covers the Preterist view. There are variations of Preterism, but the general idea is that the Bible’s eschatological promises have been fulfilled. Revelation’s bloody war scenes occurred in the first century. Gentry is an established Revelation scholar who writes clearly, but this is not his most lucid writing.

Sam Hamstr...more
Rob
Seth Channell
The purpose of the book was to provide an overview of four different approaches to understanding the book of Revelation. I believe it achieved its goal, and would recommend the book to someone (like myself) who is new to the study of eschatology. This book has prepared me to read other books which focus in more detail on each of the views presented. Now I approach these new books with an understanding of where they are coming from and where they intend to go.

However if you are looking for a det...more
Lydia
I found this to be a very difficult read. I felt that none of the authors gave a very solid argument for their views or spent a lot of time on something that didn't seem to have that much importance in the grand scheme. Perhaps supplemental reading beforehand would be helpful in familiarizing yourself with the four views; the introduction was helpful but I still struggled with the content. I'd like to return to this book in the next year to see how much more I understand later.
Chris Armer
Good overview of four major interpretive views of Revelation, but it misses the mark in helping a reader decide upon which is best. I would have also like to have seen the recapitulation view espoused by Hendricksen and Beale included in this work.
Taylor
I was so sick and tired of not knowing why I disagreed with the Left Behind books that I picked this book up. While I don't exactly know what my views on the end times are, this book does a good job of presenting the main viewpoints and thus allows you to form a good decision.
Garland Vance
This was insightful as to the 4 views of Revelation. However, I bought that the format would have been better had the book gone chapter by chapter through Revelation and had the 4 viewpoints debate through each chapter.
Victor Goh
An excellent introduction to the various views on the Book of Revelation. Changed my view of Revelation from dispensational futurist to preterist after reading it.
G Walker
Not bad... not great... one of the few in this series worth hanging on to. Gentry has a nice helpful snapshot. Overall though - I would give it an ehhh.
Dani Park
It was interesting learning details about the preterist, idealist, dispensationalist, and future dispensationalist views.
Patrick
Honestly, I think I am more confused about the book of Revelation now than before I read this book!
Don
Talbot Course: Exposition in Daniel and Revelation

Excellent book covering Eschatology thoroughly.
Matt Frawley
Good, unbiased offering on four views on revelation. Informative and concise.
John Bergen
John Bergen marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jonathan Ignacio
Jonathan Ignacio marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Quinn Tirrel
Quinn Tirrel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Lilycoy
Lilycoy is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Dr. Z
Dr. Z added it
Jul 09, 2014
Christina Seng
Christina Seng marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Christian Larsen
Christian Larsen marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Story of Israel: A Biblical Theology Apostle of the Last Days: The Life, Letters, and Theology of Paul The End of the Age Has Come: The Theology of Paul Crucified in the Media: Finding the Real Jesus Amidst Today's Headlines What Does the Future Hold? Exploring Various Views on the End Times