Start by marking “Thumbeline” as Want to Read:
Thumbeline

Thumbeline

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Once upon a time there was a woman who was sad because she had no children. One day she planted a magic seed and from the seed grew a flower. Inside the flower was a tiny, exquisite girl no bigger than the woman's thumb. Her name was Thumbelina.
The two lived happily together until an ugly old toad snuck in and snatched Thumbelina away. So began Thumbelina's adventures in a
Published October 1st 1985 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Thumbeline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thumbeline

Margaret
I snatched this version of "Thumbaline", illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger from a used book store as we are always wanting more fairy tales. I don't think I have another picture book version of the tale, just only it's inclusion in treasuries.

The illustrations don't quite fit the text, as the red and yellow described was illustrated as white. But the earth tones are lovely and imaginative. Much in the way I think of Thumbalina, not cartoonish as is often seen.

I had also never before seen this fai
Jun 25, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Andersen but a lovely, little story.
Leslie Brevard
2nd-4th Grades
Zwerger had an interesting way of illustrating this book. She uses very neutral hues when using the colors and draws in a very non-realistic way. The pictures are not very sharp, but do let the students know what she is drawing. The cover tells the reader a lot about what this book is going to be about along with the pictures that go along with the story. The text is a little smaller and full with every page. Andersen does not have very much negative space on the pages mostly they
Garren
Dec 04, 2015 Garren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a story I'd ever care to read again, let alone read to kids. It's all about a girl who is pretty, so people keep kidnapping her and trying to get her to marry. Then she finds someone she considers pretty and they get married. Just about any other story with the premise of a tiny girl would be better.

The illustrations were just fine, which is the main point of this modern edition of the classic story.
Lisbeth Solberg
As a child, I loved this story in an Andersen anthology with line drawings and color plates, and I remember especially the bird in the passageway. Zwerger's illustrations for this edition are amazing as ever, though I have mixed feelings about the clothing she puts on the animals, if only because the mole's "black velvet fur coat" could/should be metaphoric, not literal.
Ketti
May 07, 2014 Ketti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books that is illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger. Can't get enough of it.
Vivian
Mar 14, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I am a huge fan of Lesbeth Zwerger's illustrations.
Kevin
Nov 04, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
Another one of my recent Lizbeth Zwerger pick-ups. A simple but poignant story (translated from the Danish by Richard and Clara Winston)with beautiful illustrations by Zwerger
Rebecca
Andersen's tale. Lisbeth Zwerger is one of my favorite artists.
Malinda Armstrong
Malinda Armstrong marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Alessandra
Alessandra marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Iuçara Soares
Iuçara Soares rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Lou Last
Lou Last rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Sammm
Sammm marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Lauren Schultz
Lauren Schultz rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Chia
Chia marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Tooru
Tooru rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Pat
Pat added it
Jan 23, 2016
Bella
Bella added it
Jan 13, 2016
Lacey Hoyer
Lacey Hoyer rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2015
Sarah Dvojack
Sarah Dvojack rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Juliet
Juliet added it
Sep 08, 2015
Brack
Brack marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Tim Purk
Tim Purk rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Lydia Davis
Lydia Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Sheree
Sheree rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Lisbeth Zwerger (born 26 May 1954) is an Austrian illustrator of children's books. For her "lasting contribution to children's literature" she received the international Hans Christian Andersen Medal in 1990.

Zwerger was born in Vienna in 1954. She studied 1971 to 1974 at the Applied Arts Academy of Vienna. Since the publication of her first illustrated book in 1977 she has worked as a freelance pi
More about Lisbeth Zwerger...