Start by marking “Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
From their first encounters with traders, explorers, missionaries, settlers, and soldiers, to the heyday of "Red Power" during the 1960s and '70s, the relations of Native Americans with white men are explored in a powerful series of documents--seen through Indian eyes and told in Indian voices. Photographs.
Published November 1st 1992 by Penguin Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Native American Testimony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Native American Testimony

Tabitha
Oct 31, 2012 Tabitha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There were twelve of us, but they are all dead now, except one sister. Most of them didn't even grow up. My big brother, Tom, and his wife were killed b the flu in 1917. I lost my own little boy thirty-five years ago. I was a hundred miles away, caught in a blizzard. A doctor couldn't be found for him soon enough. I was told it was measles. Last year I lost another baby boy, a foster child. This time they told me it was due to some intestinal trouble. So in a lifetime we haven't made much progr ...more
Primer Press
The idea of teaching literature is to fill in the gaps of history by including a voice to the narrative. It is not enough to say that in American history white Americans committed genocide and other atrocities against people of color. We have to hear the voices of those who were oppressed and survived, or didn’t survive. Teaching Native American history post-contact without the testimony of Native American people would be like teaching about the holocaust only by studying Hitler’s speeches then ...more
Bryan
Dec 29, 2012 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT!
An excerpt (Little Hill - Winnebago)
"It was not a good country. It was all dust. Whenever we cooked anything, it would be full of dust. We found out after a while we could not live there...There was not enough to eat. The first winter one party started down the Missouri River as far as Fort Randall, where they wintered. Before the superintendent left us (the first fall after we went there), he had a cottonwood trough made and put beef in it, and sometimes a whole barrel of flour and
Lance
Jul 19, 2012 Lance rated it it was amazing
This book is fascinating and very enjoyable. It is not a book to sit down and read all at once, but in small doses. (I found it easy to read during lunch breaks) and then come back to it later, again and again. The book is as described testimonies Native Americans.
There is a lot of history in the book I have never considered and makes me want to read more of the Native American history.
The book also makes me wonder why anyone would trust the American government. It shows some of the e short si
Raphael
Aug 10, 2015 Raphael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great excerpts from the actual authors of their time, an amazing and eye-opening read...
Alcina
Aug 23, 2009 Alcina rated it really liked it
This took me months to read. The testimony is searing, and the editor/antholiger (just made that word up...) is good at contextualizing the testimony. It was a gripping read, at times, but I had to read it in sections and sometimes got lost... I would like to be in a class or group discussing how many things in the book are still relevant, like the relationship between archeologists and native peoples, and sacred places, and freedom of religion that is an earth religion...
Kathy
Apr 12, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i learned so many things about native american and how they were treated. It is very depressing. i recommend this book so people can see where it all started and why things are the way they are today.
benquick
May 05, 2009 benquick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this for my American Indian Studies class (diversity credit, yes!). Testimonials from various american indians on white relations very insightful and my teacher (full-blooded Chippewa) was a hoot.
Jason Lowe
Aug 09, 2011 Jason Lowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was used as a text book for my American Indian History class. It uses narratives from American Indians to tell their stories. Very eye opening. I would recommend this whole heartedly.
Sympawtico
Jan 16, 2010 Sympawtico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is incredibly interesting, especially in the latter sections (which chronicle more recent treatment of Native Americans in America).
Paul
Sep 14, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please read this book. I read the first half. I'll read the second half in 5 or 6 years. 300 years of betrayal is a lot to process in one decade.
Miranda
Aug 17, 2008 Miranda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another book I am reading for a college course. It to has some interesting information. It is a bit tough for me to read ...
Andrea Robinson
Dec 08, 2014 Andrea Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book of history and personal stories of Native Americans and their experiences.
Natalie
Apr 20, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting, easy to read, thought provoking.
Michael
Dec 18, 2008 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natives
The best part is the Indian response to Hippies.
Jonathan Belle
Jan 28, 2016 Jonathan Belle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
Eye opening , shocking and humbling
Kellen
Mar 25, 2009 Kellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You arent interested, but I was.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Sienna
Sienna marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Tara Finger
Tara Finger marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Ellie
Ellie is currently reading it
Kaila
Kaila marked it as to-read
Kristi Burns
Kristi Burns marked it as to-read
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jack Goldberg
Jack Goldberg marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Diane Killion
Diane Killion marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Des
Des marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Marrick
Marrick marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
  • Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World
  • The Comanche Empire
  • In the Spirit of Crazy Horse
  • "I Will Fight No More Forever": Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce War
Peter Nabokov is professor of American Indian Studies and World Arts and Cultures at UCLA. His previous books include A Forest of Time, Native American Testimony, Native American Architecture (with Robert Easton), Indian Running, Two Leggings: The Making of a Crow Warrior, and Architecture of Acoma Pueblo
More about Peter Nabokov...