Start by marking “Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton” as Want to Read:
Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton

Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In his meticulously researched book, Wilcox offers a different perspective on the well-known events of World War II. The author walks readers through that fateful December day in 1945 and outlines the plan to murder General Patton.

The death of General George S. Patton is shrouded in mystery. While officially the result of an unfortunate car accident, the evidence points to
Published November 4th 2008 by Regnery History (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Target Patton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Target Patton

Cries from the Deep by Anthony HulseAngels Fallen by Francis SmithThe Virus by Janelle DillerOperation Paperclip by Annie   JacobsenThe Orphan Conspiracies by James Morcan
Government Cover-ups
24th out of 135 books — 73 voters
1984 by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownNone Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary AllenThe Creature from Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin
New World Order books
17th out of 51 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Rogier
The enigma Patton persists, because seemingly the question of malfeasance in his death is not about to be solved. This book treats the matter in exhaustive detail, and presents plenty of food for thought, without stretching things to the point of breaking.

Simply put, the chances of solving this question now are remote, but circumstantially there is enough to think about because of the way Patton had run-ins with politics throughout his later career.

He was not understood and the majority of his s
Mike (the Paladin)
I might have gone 3 stars on this book overall, but it lost my interest and I found I was mostly skimming so.... No matter what you put together a book like this needs to hold the interest.

As for the premise of the book, well like any good semi-nebulas conspiracy theory it holds together pretty well. The unspoken part of that is an "as long", as long as the theorist is laying out the evidence. I leave the book in about the same mind as I entered it. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that
Tony
TARGET PATTON: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton. (2008). Robert K. Wilcox. ***.
When we visited the site of The Battle of the Bulge at the battle cemetery, we also saw the grave site of General Patton. Instead of being buried at Arlington or West Point, his widow said he wanted to be with his men. Our guide at the time simply told us that he was killed in a car accident. That much was true. He was ultimately killed when his army limo crashed into an army truck. He actually died of
Bill Fazio
Unlike most of the reviews I found I wasn't so much interested in the conspiracy theories of the author (they are myriad) as I was the immediate chaos and jockeying for position post WWII. The backstory is more interesting than the supposed "hit" on the general. The auto accident and subsequent hospital murder theories are, in my view, a bit of a stretch. However; the background stories make for a compelling read.
John
Interesting read. The author raises many unusual circumstances regarding the accident, improbable events, and lays out several possibilities as to motive and involvement in Patton's elimination. After reading it I know more about post WWII Germany and the controversy Patton was creating. His death being caused by the NKVD is more than probable, US involvement very possible.
Nancy Zimmer
It was very interesting. I never even knew how Patton died. The author laid out an interesting case for assassination. There were interesting allegations about how deeply communists were imbedded in Washington. It made me paranoid while I was reading it.
John
1st "read" about Patton. Definitely makes one wonder about what really happened.
Korry Thorpe
Patton's death is vaguely reminiscent of Kennedy's in that there are lots of questions. Evidence has dissappeared and there are strong indications of a coverup. Was Patton assasinated? Good question but the book investigates it in a very interesting and thorough. What I found particularly fascinating was his views on Russia and the Military and Political leaderships reaction to his expressing his views. Makes me very eager to read biographies of Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower.
Steve Wilson
If you love a good conspiracy theory, this book is for you. Enough documentation to really get you thinking, with some very intriguing back stories about many of the men and women who were involved. I'm not 100% convinced, but the author posits theories that definitely got me thinking.
David Naeve
I liked it. It's totally believable and interesting. I always wondered what happened to General Patton after WWII. Now I know. If you've watched the movies about Patton, you'll know that a lot of this stuff is true.
John Michael
Intriguing title and some great suggestions, but I found it disappointing and inconclusive.
Christophe
A gripping book and tale of what is little known about the early years after war in Europe.
Mike Salmans
Not sure all the information is 100% factual but a good read
Bill van Loon
I agree with the author. Patton deserves better.
Doug
Ok book. A little long and repetitive
Randall
Apr 04, 2009 Randall rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Chester B Nations
Chester B Nations marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Cassandra Wade
Cassandra Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Magnus Lind
Magnus Lind marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Was Gen. George S. Patton assassinated? 2 7 May 14, 2013 01:42PM
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest i n Europe
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King—the Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea
  • September Hope: The American Side of a Bridge Too Far
  • Blood of Tyrants: George Washington & the Forging of the Presidency
  • Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man
  • Under the Sabers: The Unwritten Code of Army Wives
  • Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along
  • Their Finest Hour (The Second World War, #2)
  • They Dared Return: An Epic Story of Jewish Refugees Who Escaped Nazi Germany, But Returned for Vengeance
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
  • Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)
  • The Twilight Warriors: The Deadliest Naval Battle of World War II and the Men Who Fought It
  • The First Day on the Somme
  • Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution
  • The Destruction of Dresden
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • Pacific
Robert K. Wilcox is a bestselling author, screenwriter, novelist and journalist. He specializes in mysteries and military history. He began his career as religion editor of the Miami News, winning the Supple Memorial Award as the best religion writer in the nation. He and went on to write for the teh Miami Herald, New York Times and other major newspapers and magazines before becoming a television ...more
More about Robert K. Wilcox...
Scream of Eagles: The Dramatic Account of the U.S. Navy's Top Gun Fighter Pilots and How They Took Back the Skies Over Vietnam Black Aces High: The Story of a Modern Fighter Squadron at War Wings of Fury: From Vietnam to the Gulf War-The Astonishing True Stories of America's Elite Fighter Pilots The Truth About the Shroud of Turin: Solving the Mystery Japan's Secret War