Start by marking “Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton” as Want to Read:
Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton

Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton

In his meticulously researched book, Wilcox offers a different perspective on the well-known events of World War II. The author walks readers through that fateful December day in 1945 and outlines the plan to murder General Patton.

The death of General George S. Patton is shrouded in mystery. While officially the result of an unfortunate car accident, the evidence points to
Published November 4th 2008 by Regnery History (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Target Patton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Target Patton

Rogier
Aug 04, 2013 Rogier rated it really liked it
The enigma Patton persists, because seemingly the question of malfeasance in his death is not about to be solved. This book treats the matter in exhaustive detail, and presents plenty of food for thought, without stretching things to the point of breaking.

Simply put, the chances of solving this question now are remote, but circumstantially there is enough to think about because of the way Patton had run-ins with politics throughout his later career.

He was not understood and the majority of his s
Mike (the Paladin)
Apr 25, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was ok
I might have gone 3 stars on this book overall, but it lost my interest and I found I was mostly skimming so.... No matter what you put together a book like this needs to hold the interest.

As for the premise of the book, well like any good semi-nebulas conspiracy theory it holds together pretty well. The unspoken part of that is an "as long", as long as the theorist is laying out the evidence. I leave the book in about the same mind as I entered it. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that
Bill Fazio
Jan 03, 2014 Bill Fazio rated it liked it
Unlike most of the reviews I found I wasn't so much interested in the conspiracy theories of the author (they are myriad) as I was the immediate chaos and jockeying for position post WWII. The backstory is more interesting than the supposed "hit" on the general. The auto accident and subsequent hospital murder theories are, in my view, a bit of a stretch. However; the background stories make for a compelling read.
John
Jul 03, 2011 John rated it liked it
Interesting read. The author raises many unusual circumstances regarding the accident, improbable events, and lays out several possibilities as to motive and involvement in Patton's elimination. After reading it I know more about post WWII Germany and the controversy Patton was creating. His death being caused by the NKVD is more than probable, US involvement very possible.
Nancy Zimmer
Apr 23, 2012 Nancy Zimmer rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It was very interesting. I never even knew how Patton died. The author laid out an interesting case for assassination. There were interesting allegations about how deeply communists were imbedded in Washington. It made me paranoid while I was reading it.
Randall
Apr 04, 2009 Randall rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Tony
Jul 05, 2014 Tony rated it liked it
Shelves: history
TARGET PATTON: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton. (2008). Robert K. Wilcox. ***.
When we visited the site of The Battle of the Bulge at the battle cemetery, we also saw the grave site of General Patton. Instead of being buried at Arlington or West Point, his widow said he wanted to be with his men. Our guide at the time simply told us that he was killed in a car accident. That much was true. He was ultimately killed when his army limo crashed into an army truck. He actually died of
David Duprey
Jul 29, 2016 David Duprey rated it really liked it
Interesting book detailing the strange incidents that occurred around the death of Patton. I don't completely buy into that Patton's death was an "Assassination", rather than just a tragic accident.

But, the sheer amount of strange disappearances of witnesses, files, etc. does lead some credibility to conspiracy theories that have grown up around the unanswered questions surrounding the death of Patton.

Patton did make powerful enemies both foreign and domestic, and this book does make a case that
Dahl
Oct 04, 2015 Dahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommendations
Was one of America's Greatest Heroes in World War II assassinated? If so, who did it and how? That is what historical researcher Robert K. Wilcox explores as he delves into the mysterious death of General George S. Patton. He uncovers mysterious organizations and connections in the world of espionage who all might have come together in a perfect storm to take down the General who was feared greatly not just by the Nazis, but by the Soviets as well. While the evidence is not conclusive, as the au ...more
Korry Thorpe
Oct 03, 2011 Korry Thorpe rated it really liked it
Patton's death is vaguely reminiscent of Kennedy's in that there are lots of questions. Evidence has dissappeared and there are strong indications of a coverup. Was Patton assasinated? Good question but the book investigates it in a very interesting and thorough. What I found particularly fascinating was his views on Russia and the Military and Political leaderships reaction to his expressing his views. Makes me very eager to read biographies of Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower.
Robert
Dec 29, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
"What do I think?"I wrote it so I'll let you guess. It took a lot of research. I have a rule: always go to the source. I try to follow that rule. Sometimes I can't. For instance, Patton was already dead. But I read a lot that he wrote. I talked to many who knew him or had information about his death. It turned into a compelling mystery. If you read it, let me know what you think. My website: www.robertkwilcox.com
Look forward to hearing from you - pro or con - RKW
Pat Gerber-Relf
Was General Patton killed in a car accident a day before he was due to return to the states after a successful career as a General during WWII or was it an assasination. He did not like the Russians, and was not keen on the some American leaders. The Russians hated him, Eisenhower did not like him and there were a few others. This book is the background story with details of people involved.
Steve Wilson
Jul 13, 2016 Steve Wilson rated it it was amazing
If you love a good conspiracy theory, this book is for you. Enough documentation to really get you thinking, with some very intriguing back stories about many of the men and women who were involved. I'm not 100% convinced, but the author posits theories that definitely got me thinking.
Clifton McLendon
An Excellent Book about a Super-excellent General!

I have always known that General Patton was murdered, and that Franklin Roosevelt was soft on communism, and that Joseph McCarthy spoke the truth, but I never knew just how bad things were until I read this book.
Kenneth Factor
Kenneth Factor rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Andrew Alvarez
Andrew Alvarez rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Greg Canellis
Greg Canellis rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Land Murphy
Land Murphy rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2011
Exapno Mapcase
Exapno Mapcase rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2012
Kathy D. Monington
Kathy D. Monington rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Annie Backus
Annie Backus rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
David Weiss
David Weiss rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
nyema favor
nyema favor rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Mimi
Mimi rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Jason Dickinson
Jason Dickinson rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Torsten Torsten
Torsten Torsten rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2015
Mark
Great book on Patton and how he died. Is it true?
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2016
William Beeby
William Beeby rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Dan Welter
Dan Welter rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Was Gen. George S. Patton assassinated? 2 9 May 14, 2013 01:42PM
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest in Europe
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler
  • A Life with Karol: My Forty-Year Friendship with the Man Who Became Pope
  • The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King—the Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea
  • September Hope: The American Side of a Bridge Too Far
  • Blood of Tyrants: George Washington & the Forging of the Presidency
  • D-Day: Minute by Minute
  • Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along
  • The Men Who Killed the Luftwaffe: The U.S. Army Air Forces Against Germany in World War II
  • Their Finest Hour (The Second World War, #2)
  • Under the Sabers: The Unwritten Code of Army Wives
  • The Destruction of Dresden
  • Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes
  • Pacific
  • Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man
  • The Real War 1914-1918
  • They Dared Return: The True Story of Jewish Spies behind the Lines in Nazi Germany
Robert K. Wilcox is a bestselling author, screenwriter, novelist and journalist. He specializes in mysteries and military history. He began his career as religion editor of the Miami News, winning the Supple Memorial Award as the best religion writer in the nation. He went on to write for the Miami Herald, New York Times and other major newspapers and magazines before becoming a television writer ...more
More about Robert K. Wilcox...