Start by marking “Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research” as Want to Read:

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The only introduction to offer balanced, inclusive, integrated treatment of educational research, this text comprehensively addresses both quantitative and qualitative approaches, with the goal of starting students on the path to doing their own research as well as evaluating the research of others. After an overview of the nature of educational research and specific quali...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Educational Research, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Educational Research

Teniell
This book provides a good introduction to the basic principles of educational research.

I purchased the 2nd edition of this book (for $35), and chose not to purchase the 4th edition (available for $125). In comparing the 2nd and 4th editions, they are almost identical - only the examples at the end of each chapter have really changed. My suggestion: save yourself $90 and buy an older edition!
Malte
This is the book on traditional research design. You get the feeling that John Creswell is paid by the letter, but despite all the extra and unnecessary words it is a really good textbook to get all the basics...
Olgy
I am currently taking a "Research Design and Analysis" course as part of my doctoral studies, and I've literally devoured every single word in Creswell's book. I've also shown it to faculty at various graduate schools and to recent Ph.D. graduates and they just about salivate over Creswell's 4th edition of "Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research" book. The answer I often receive is that they wish this 4th edition had been around when they...more
Randie
I have learned a great deal about educational research throughout the process of studying this text for my graduate course. I knew there were different types of research prior to reading this book but I did not know the terms “quantitative” and “qualitative.” Now, I know the terms and have a solid understanding about the theories, processes, purposes, benefits, and limitations of both quantitative and qualitative research. This textbook really opened my eyes to the amount of planning, effort, an...more
Louise Droz
So, I made my way through this one as a required reading assignment. As textbooks go, this one made sense and was organized in a predictable manner. Thank you for that. I liked the idea that each chapter followed the same format. I do have to add that I still do not understand why this book was so expensive. Why is it that we must use the current edition for a subject that does not change significantly from year to year?
J-Lynn
Dec 10, 2007 J-Lynn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students and teachers that are beginning researchers
I both hate and love this book. I would have been lost throughout most of my Introduction to Education Research class if not for this book, but I also felt lost most of the time as I read this book. The book is dense and written for novice researchers. It provides the foundation necessary to understand both Quantitative and Qualitative research.
Toni
This book is helping to keep me sane as I tackle this monster of a dissertation. When I am finished with my masterpiece, I would like to personally shake Creswell's hand!
Joe
I would go so far as to say I liked this book, but it was decently written so a doofus like me could read it. It will (gulp) become a valuable reference in the future.
Khansa Thamir
A practical and simple guide for beginners. It's really interesting and fun, especially the type of examples it uses to clarify some points.
Christiana
Again, required for class. This is my college's go-to book on research.
Jeffrey
Dry read but good for learning about conducting academic research.
Zameer Ahmed
Some things cannot be learned alone by personal experience
Sue R.
Learning a great deal but not fun readying :)
Patrick
Very useful, but not exciting.
Terence
Dec 07, 2013 Terence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I think it is a good boy
Saji Chellimattam
Saji Chellimattam marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Wirma Rantika
Wirma Rantika marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Ryta Esha
Ryta Esha marked it as to-read
Ryta Esha
Ryta Esha marked it as to-read
Quinn Lacy
Quinn Lacy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Zeynep Pehlivan
Zeynep Pehlivan is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Arjun Karanjeet
Arjun Karanjeet marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research Designing & Conducting Mixed Methods Research + the Mixed Methods Reader (Bundle)