Start by marking “The Time and the Place: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Time and the Place: And Other Stories

The Time and the Place: And Other Stories

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Selected and translated by the distinguished scholar Denys Johnson-Daivies, these stories have all the celebrated and distinctive characters and qualities found in Mahfouz's novels:The denizens of the dark, narrow alleyways of Cairo, who struggle to survive the poverty; melancholy ruminations on death; experiments with the supernatural; and witty excursions into Cairene mi ...more
Published June 18th 1992 by Anchor (first published 1991)

The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib MahfouzPalace Walk by Naguib MahfouzPalace of Desire by Naguib MahfouzChildren of the Alley by Naguib MahfouzSugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz
Naguib Mahfouz: Egyptian Nobel Laureate
36th out of 63 books — 12 voters
Nefertiti by Michelle MoranFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowRiver God by Wilbur SmithThe Heretic Queen by Michelle MoranCleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
Best Books About Egypt
222nd out of 358 books — 440 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Apr 10, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I've read (and loved) Mahfouz's Cairo Trilogy, and was happy to find this collection of his short stories in a used book store. While the Cairo Trilogy is very realistic, many of the stories here have more elements of mystery and magic - almost a dream-like quality to a few of them. A few of the stories were confusing simply because I don't know enough of Egypt's history, but overall I enjoyed them and will definitely be keeping the book.
Fred Daly
Oct 29, 2012 Fred Daly rated it really liked it
Short stories, some very short. They are strange -- he reminds me of Kafka, Camus, and the editor says Proust. Not sure how students will like them, but they are short. They aren't exactly memorable individually, but they add up to a pretty interesting world view.
Kitty
May 14, 2010 Kitty rated it liked it
Learning about Egyptian culture through these short stories, translated by Denys Johnson-Davies is to have a sample of different strata of Cairene life. Perhaps my favorite was the story, rather, more parable than story, called "The Wasteland" in which a man is forced to give up his wife to follow a leader; his plans for revenge are thwarted -- "why is it that all beings disappear and nothing is left but dust?" It makes you think about the expression, "another time". But time does not come again ...more
Kabrina
Sep 17, 2014 Kabrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Read "The Answer Is No" in the textbook for my Literary Heritage class. Loved that the main character stood her ground even though she was still affected after being sexually assaulted at 14. Wish I could find out what happened next but alas the abrupt ending was part of the reason this short story was good.
John
Nov 25, 2015 John rated it really liked it
One of my students at IUP recommended Mahfouz to me. I have wanted to read him since he won the Nobel Prize for Literature in the 1980's.

This collection of short stories are excellent. Some have an otherworldly quality to them. When I have a little more time next month, I will read his Cairo Trilogy.
b bb bbbb bbbbbbbb
Mahfouz has otherwise been consistently good, not sure why this collection of short stories didn't work for me. Read about half of them.
Laetasum
Feb 05, 2013 Laetasum rated it it was amazing
An unobtrusive yet deeply moving commentary about society (political and familial) by a master story-teller, these short stories will leave you wanting more every time!
Marvin
May 31, 2013 Marvin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes good literature.
Very, very good short stories. Enjoyed this collection very much. I will definitely look for his books, I would like to read more.
Gratcia Siahaya
Feb 13, 2009 Gratcia Siahaya rated it it was amazing
Sedang membaca, versi terjemahannya dalam bahasa Indonesia, disini judulnya adalah Zahiya (Kafe yang Kosong), hasil bongkar2 dari attic, malah ketemu dengan buku yang sudah lama terlupakan, lupa sudah pernah baca atau belum, yg ada cuma tanda tangan saya saja menandakan bahwa saya yang membelinya.
Abah
Nov 13, 2008 Abah marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Windy Hapsari
Recommended to Abah by: Gratcia
Salam. Wah klo G yang kasih rekomen, tentunya atuh buku yang oekeh punya. Wismilak with my time controling ya. Oom lagi klenger asyik nulis aja kok G. God bless you.
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Christina Voskou
Christina Voskou marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Sergey Osipov
Sergey Osipov marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Viva
Viva marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Hakan Oz
Hakan Oz marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Doc99
Doc99 marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Peter Nagy
Peter Nagy is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2016
Esam Ali
Esam Ali marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Geert Barbier
Geert Barbier rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Edna
Edna is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2016
Leonorteixeira
Leonorteixeira marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Mike Chouinard
Mike Chouinard rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Carissa Demian
Carissa Demian marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Inhkie
Inhkie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Sohaila
Sohaila marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
  • The Selected Stories
  • Insects Are Just Like You and Me Except Some of Them Have Wings
  • Kismet
  • The Best American Science Writing 2000
  • Vertical Motion
  • The Ingenuity Gap: Can We Solve the Problems of the Future?
  • Symposium/The Death of Socrates (Classics of World Literature)
  • A Friend of Kafka
  • The Snow Queen
  • Montecore: En unik tiger
  • The Collapse of Chaos: Discovering Simplicity in a Complex World
  • Travels With Charley and Later Novels, 1947-1962
Naguib Mahfouz (Arabic author profile: نجيب محفوظ) was an Egyptian writer who won the 1988 Nobel Prize for Literature. He published over 50 novels, over 350 short stories, dozens of movie scripts, and five plays over a 70-year career. Many of his works have been made into Egyptian and foreign films.
More about Naguib Mahfouz...