Start by marking “Herbert's Wormhole” as Want to Read:
Herbert's Wormhole

Herbert's Wormhole

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Greetings. This story concerns a scientific anomaly that opens a portal, allowing us to traverse the space-time continuum and triggering an adventure that those of limited intelligence might simply describe as "awesome."

Hey! This is a book about how we get sucked into this wormhole thingy and it drops us in the future where there's all this really cool futuristic stuff, bu
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published April 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Herbert's Wormhole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herbert's Wormhole

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
217th out of 630 books — 941 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Wayward Gifted by Donna K. ChildreeThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Great Read-Aloud Fantasy Books
125th out of 164 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen for TeensReadToo.com

Alex wants to spend his summer playing video games, but his parents have other plans. They've built a (babyish) jungle gym and set up a play date with nerdy science kid, Herbert.

Herbert has spent his summer building a Negative Energy Densifier Suit. When the suits are worn by the boys on Alex's new jungle gym, they open a wormhole to the future. Only in this future, aliens called G'daliens have taken over. They all seem friendl
Diane
This is pretty standard cartoon-aided kid fiction. We enjoyed the story and it made us laugh throughout.
Sarah Evans
Riding on the coattails of the popular Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, this “novel in cartoons” also offers a chapter book interspersed with illustrations, though more detailed, and speech bubbles that support the story of a slightly snarky boy who puts up with the world around him, this time in a science-fiction setting. Unfortunately, the formula doesn’t work quite as well here, though some readers will find it amusing. The summer before 6th grade, Alex avoids his boring town by obsessively playi ...more
Julian P
I finished reading a book last week called Herbert's Wormhole by Peter Nelson. The book is about a boy named Alex that likes playing video games out of the Alien Slayer series. Once Alex finishes the game, he has to go play with a friend arranged by his parents without him knowing. Once Alex gets Herbert to come over, Herbert tries to show Alex one of his latest inventions. Alex isn't interested but then tries the one he has on out. His slide then turns into a wormhole that they both get sucked ...more
Jesus Madrigal
This book was really good. At first I was kind of skeptic about this book, but I'm glad that I read the book. It is about two neighborhood kids travel threw a wormhole and they end up at the future. They suddenly meet this kid named Chicago and moments later they are called alien slayers. You might think this is happy, but there are actually a friendly alien race called G'Daliens. So being called alien slayer is a bad thing. So this evil G'Dalien named Gor-Don is trying to take advantage of the ...more
Auggiesadorra
I thought this book was great! I loved this book a lot because it hads lots of adventure and it was my type of book. This book is about a two boy's named alex, and also herbet.Alex's mom sent him over too herberts house for a playdate, because alex's mother had just gotten Alex a Jungle gym. Alex had not know herbert at all, all he knew was that Herbert was smart and made all these inventions. So alex goes over to Herberts house to pick him up so they could hang out at alex's place. Alex goes to ...more
Betsy
One Sentence Review: Darn it, I really did mean to review this one, since it's almost impossible to find good boy-friendly partially cartoony fiction containing alien invaders who wear bad toupees and fake moustaches and talk like Australians.
Kaethe
The KitKatPandaBatWolf has taken off a bit with this. So I'll read a couple of chapters to her at night, and then she'll read a couple more to herself before turning out the light. Let me state for the record that I dearly love having children who want to stay up a little bit later reading to themselves at night, and that I've set their bedtime at a manageable 8:30 on weeknights, accordingly. I've been an insomniac from the word "go" and read to myself after official lights out by the hall light ...more
Grant Marceau
I love this book. I have been reading this at home and it's amazing. It's about these two kids who travel to a different dimension. And then these aliens don't like the boys so they scheme to destroy them. I'm still waiting for the sequel to drop so I can read that. If you like science fiction, you'll like this book. I give this book 5/5 stars.
Heather
Obviously, I am not in the target readership, but this book was neither here nor there for me. It was certainly a fun concept, and I can see the benefit for--particularly--boy readers needing to move on from things like the Wimpy Kid books. But this book is not nearly as fast-paced as it needs to be for its length, especially if appealing to otherwise reluctant readers. The illustrations do very little to advance the story line, and in many cases seem unnecessary. There was no clever reason for ...more
Jackie
Total opposites, Alex and Herbert, are forced into a play date by their mothers. Herbert is a super smart inventor that finds a way to time travel into the next century. There they find Earth run over by aliens, although seemingly friendly.

Alex and Herbert find out their true intentions with the help of an 'older-self' and defeat the menacing aliens at their own game. Not much to keep my attention, but maybe kids would like it.

I would have a hard time recommending this to any kid...I wouldn't
Allie
So I accidentally picked this book up when I was grabbing #2 & #3 of the Lemony Snicket series---I was attracted to the idea of a "novel in cartoons' and I am mostly 10 years old at heart, so this was a perfect read for me.

I thought it was super cute! I loved Herbert (the geeky boy in the pair) and Sammi (the heroine, in my eyes), but I felt like it was mostly missing character development, world building, and a plot in general. No matter! It was cute! I think any little child would love th
Karen
Very good series for Middle Grade boys, especially those enamored with the look of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Tyrone
Jan 06, 2015 Tyrone marked it as to-read
good
Christiane
Two very different sixth-grade boys travel through a wormhole to the twenty-second century, where the earth has been colonized by horrible-looking but harmless (?) aliens. Who speak with Australian accents. Full of humorous black and white cartoons throughout, this is a fast read with a lot of appeal for video game and science-fiction fans. I loved the part where they crash into the Museum of Human History, full of dioramas of things like "1969: G'Daliens Help Earthlings Locate Their Moon".
Rishabhb
I have recently finished reading Herbert's Wormhole, by Peter Nelson. It was a very good and funny book, because the 2 main characters differences lead it to be hilarious. I really like the way it combines comics, and chapter books, to make a masterpiece. My favorite part is when they (view spoiler)
Kristina Knott
Harmless, silly read, recommendable to boys 4-6th grade. Two boys, one a video-game loving average kid, the other a genius-type who invents gadgets, fall into a time warp into a futuristic version of their hometown. There are generous descriptions of this futuristic world (imagine visiting a pizza place where the waiter puts his tentacles on your forehead in order to derive information about your favorite toppings) and plenty of silly banter between the boys.
Joshua
Just silly fun for boys and (some) girls of all ages! Comical illustrations, a fun wacky story, silly villians... I mean aliens in toupees and fake staches that speak a kind of Australian dialect for no apparent reason... c'mon!

And look at the comments... boys love this book... especially boys whose reading is all comic books with the occasional wimpy kid! 5 stars for boys and girls who go into it with an open mind will get a chuckle or two too!
Amy
Herbert's Wormhole would be a great read for a boy or girl between the ages of eight and eleven who is interested in video games, sci fiction,comics/graphic novels or general adventure. I rated it three stars as an adult reading it as it seemed to be lacking in character development. The plot was rather flat for me, however, I know children who would love this book as they have one of the interests I noted above.
Kristy
Mehn. Do I really want to elaborate on the reasons I wasn't fond of this one?

Here's a short list:

I don't know a single 12-year-old who would put on a suit that looked like the ones the boys wear in the book.

The aliens' Australian accents serve no real purpose in the book.

The book is named after Herbert, but the two boys are either co-main characters or Alex is the star.

BLech.
Mary
Wow, I did not like this book at all. I felt like the author was talking down to his audience. Some of the book was enjoyable, but the entire premise is based on parents being so out-of-touch with reality that they give their 6th-grader a backyard swingset with a slide. Was this chosen simply because of the graphics that made it Wimpy-Kid like?
Adam
I though this one of the best Science Fiction books I have ever read.
Read the sequel: Herbert's Wormhole: The Rise and Fall of El Solo Libre
I thought this was really really fun.
Mr. Steve
Totally kid-friendly. Another easy book to book talk; especially for reluctant readers. I mean, we have video games and aliens in a graphic novel format! What more could you want? SLJ recommends this book for fans of the silliness of Captain Underpants.
Kris
Highly illustrated, this is a fantasy where two boys travel into the future to find that humans and friendly G'daliens (with Australian accents) coexist peacefully - until the boys kinda mess that up. Oops.

Fun read, lots of pictures, lots of action.
Emily
I really didn't like the story or the characters here -- except for the sister, they were all mean & undeveloped. Will recommend to Wimpy kid fans who have read EVERYTHING else similar and for whom I have no choice.
Melissa

Even though I personally did not find this book all that enjoyable I did think the science fiction aspect and particularly the comic style format might make it a good read a like for "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" fans.
Mary
Advanced Readers Copy
A quick read this book will appeal to kids who are into video games. It has an upbeat, positive plot and believable characters. Illustrations are necessary for the story.
Rose
I'm not really the intended demographic for this. I thought it got more fun as it went, but I think I wanted to feel more grounded in the world/characters. However, it was a funny one!
Jessica
Another Nutmeg nominee. It had some humor but it wasn't as funny as it thought it was. No point no moral. Was very hard to get into. Wanna be Wimpy Kid but falls way short.
Aimee
Would absolutely recommend this to kids looking for an adventure, something a little silly, and a great friendship story. Love the drawings along the way, too!
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #1)
  • Wonkenstein (The Creature from My Closet)
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)
  • The Shark King: TOON Level 3
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • The Amazing Mexican Secret (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #5)
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Buzz Boy And Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #9)
  • The Fast and the Furriest
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #1)
  • The Great Hamster Massacre
  • The Loser List
  • Cheesie Mack Is Not a Genius or Anything
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • Super Chicken Nugget Boy and the Furious Fry
Peter Nelson is a screenwriter who lives in Los Angeles, California, with his wife, Diane, and their two sons, Charlie and Christopher. Peter grew up in New England, where he made up weird stories and invented strange games for the enjoyment of his two younger brothers, Sean and David. They’ve never forgiven him for it.

Herbert’s Wormhole is Peter’s first children’s book. He wrote it without ever
More about Peter Nelson...
Treehouses: The Art and Craft of Living Out on a Limb Herbert's Wormhole: The Rise and Fall of El Solo Libre Creature Keepers and the Hijacked Hydro-Hide Herbert's Wormhole: AeroStar and the 3 1/2-Point Plan of Vengeance A More Unbending Battle: The Harlem Hellfighter's Struggle for Freedom in WWI and Equality at Home