Start by marking “Nobody's Girl” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Girl

Nobody's Girl

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  596 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Perrine, a young girl, is orphaned at the age of 12, and her mother's last words are for her to find members of her father's family and make them love her for herself before revealing her identity. She experiences hunger, poverty, and manages to take care of herself through determination and creativity. Finding work in her grandfather's factory without revealing her identi ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Inheritance Publications (first published January 1st 1878)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody's Girl

Zahra Rhm
Mar 04, 2016 Zahra Rhm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
زمانی که کارتون "باخانمان" تو تلویزیون پخش می شد، یکی از بچه های فامیل مون دید توی کتابخونه م کتاب "باخانمان" دارم، بهم گفت
می شه کتاب رو از اون جایی که "بارون" سگ "پرین" تیر می خوره، بخونی واسم؟
منم گفتم نه چون اصلا پرین سگ نداشت!

Never judge a book by its movie
Talia Carner
Mar 15, 2012 Talia Carner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently, on his radio show about my latest novel, the interviewer Lewis Burke Frumkes asked me, “What did you read when you were young?” I told him about this one book that I had read in my youth over and over. However, for decades I had been unable to find this novel, whose title in French (and in the Hebrew translation—the language of my childhood) was “In The Family.” This title meant rather the opposite of the English translation, “Nobody’s Girl,” which is more apt.

In my pre- and early-te
Masoomeh Tavakoli
Jun 20, 2013 Masoomeh Tavakoli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
این کتاب ارزش ادبی بالایی ندارد، امّا من خیلی دوستش می دارم!
در کودکی هر چند وقت یک بار دوره اش می کردم!
آن تکّه اش که پرین دور از نظر مردم، در کلبه ی شکاری زندگی می کرد، از قسمت های محبوب و خوراک خیال پردازی های بی انتهای تابستانی ام بود...
FeReSHte
Jan 17, 2015 FeReSHte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, young-adult
I just remember finishing the book in one day.It was a record for me back at that age because I was only a 12 year old girl.I couldn't get enough of it.Reading the story of Perine's life after having her viewed on the Tv screen (its animation) was a great joy!
شبگیر
یادش بخیر، خیلی وقت پیش خوندم
خیلی خوشم اومد
اون موقع این رمان، بچه های دهکده، خواهران غریب رو از کتابخونه مسجد گرفتم خوندم، چقدر خوب بودن.
حتما بابد دوباره بخونمش.
Vivian
Aug 31, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is one of the treasures I found on my grandfather's bookshelves during one of the many idle summer days I spent there as a teenager. I absolutely LOVED this book and even wrote to Disney that it needed to be made into a movie.

I finally subscribed to my library's inter-library loan service for a copy to read to my teenage daughter. Reading it together we felt it was a mash-up of Hugo's "Les Miserables", Dicken's "Oliver Twist", Burnett's "Little Lord Fauntleroy", and even Twain's "Huckleber
Ladan Alizadeh
Jul 13, 2014 Ladan Alizadeh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: کودکانگی
قهرمان و الگوی من در کودکی بود پرین٬ فرانسه حرف میزد٬ تنها زندگی می کرد٬ شغل منطقی و درآمد داشت تو سالگی ...more
Susan
Jul 17, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother gave me this book as a gift and I read it many times. I loved the story and cried over the poor girl's trials and tribulations until the happy ending when she and her grandfather were united. Ihe next year I received Nobody's Boy and read that avidlly, too, although it wasn't as great as it's companion. Years ago I gave them to one of my neices, also an avid reader. I hope she enjoyed them as much as I did.
Shahr Baran
Oct 17, 2014 Shahr Baran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ماني كه بسيار عالي است چون در ان از روح بلند انسانها وپشتكار وتحمل وصبر واز خودگذشتگي وخيلي خصوصيات خوب اخلاق صحبت ميشود..در اين كتاب به واسطه همين خوبيها نقش اول داستان برمشكلات سخت زندگيش پيروز شده وبه آنچه كه اراده وتصميم زندگيش بود مي رسد ..کارتون زیبای این کتاب با شخصیت پرین وسگ کوچولویش بارون نیز یکی از نوستالوژی های خوب نوجوانی من است ..
Carmussel
Sep 08, 2008 Carmussel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carmussel by: in my home library
The version of this book that I read - and re-read (almost yearly) was titled "The Adventures of Perrine." It was the ultimate kid survival book, with Perrine living alone, feeding on bulbs and weaving with rushes, etc etc. It was very exciting to an impressionable child!!
Nancy
Mar 15, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nhược Phong
Aug 07, 2015 Nhược Phong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Có thể là tại cái bóng của Không gia đình trong tôi lớn quá, có thể là sự thực nó không hay bằng. Nhưng cuốn này với tôi thì không hay bằng người anh em của nó. Hai cuốn sách giống nhau ở rất nhiều điểm, chắc là do phong cách của Hector Malot nó thế.
Đọc cuốn này cũng phải 2 năm sau khi đọc Không gia đình. Tôi cũng không nhớ rõ rốt cuộc mình có xem phim chuyển thể của cuốn này không, nhưng có một số chi tiết của sách mà tôi đoán được. Chắc xem rồi nhưng không biết.
Anaïs
Jul 28, 2015 Anaïs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un de mes livres préférés étant enfant. Je l'ai relu il n'y a pas longtemps et j'ai été tout autant touchée.
L'histoire est magnifique et l'héroïne une jeune fille pleine de ressources et très inspirante.

One of my favourite books as a child. I re-read it not long ago and still loved it !
The story line is beautiful as is the writing and the main character is a really inspiring and ressourceful young girl.
CLM
May 01, 2008 CLM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: Carrie Bernstein in 5th grade
I absolutely love this book about French orphan Perrine, who promises her dying mother that she will seek out the family that disowned her father for marrying beneath him, and without revealing her identity, cause them to value her for herself.

I was introduced to this book by my elementary school friend, Carrie Bernstein (now a noted migraine specialist). Perrine's quest to find the family that has ignored her existence is very moving. I always gravitated towards orphan stories but what I partic
Sandra Noel
Sep 29, 2011 Sandra Noel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this is an old, old book. I have been searching for it for many years. I recall being young, in a foreign country, and finding a home for myself in a library. This book was one of the first things I read, and, in a way, it is a touchstone for many other things. My first exposure to the French language led me to study French for seven years and add any number of other languages to it. Just this simple, old, book.

I have searched in vain for many years, until I found it in public domain on the
Forreste
Feb 01, 2016 Forreste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A family favorite instilled in me by my mother.
Tsvetina Georgieva
childhood favourite
Sam Grace
Jan 25, 2011 Sam Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: Abigail A.
What a fascinating depiction of class and age based morality in the Industrial Age. Should I worry that I find it impossible to read it any other way? I admit, I liked Perrine - there are qualities in her that seem familiar, for sure - but I'm not sure I'd want the young women in my life trying to be good like her.

I was also fascinated by the class/race issues related to the girl's upper class Indian mother.
Summer
Jul 26, 2007 Summer rated it really liked it
This story, published previously as The Adventures of Perrine, was passed down to me by my mother who received it from her mother. I had to finally buy a new copy since it has been read so often it is falling apart. I highly recommend it. It was written a long time ago, but it is a very modern story. Perrine's independence challenges commonly held ideas and in the end triumphs over them. Her ingenuity is inspiring.
James Sarah Madison
I have an older copy of this book, under it's original title- 'The Adventures of Perrine'. I read it as a young girl while visiting my Grandparents. Years later, I convinced my Grandma to give the book to me (even though it was part of a book club set that she was loathe to break up, my pleading won out.)

Thanks Grandma! It's as good a book as I remember from my girlhood!
Phoenix2
Jan 14, 2013 Phoenix2 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
unlike sans famile, this one was quite simplier and had a bright side over the facts, even though perrin was an orphan. all in all this book captures the atmosphere of europe when the factory were on their pic.
Tony
Jan 16, 2009 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Malot. Essential reading for a teenager (or even younger), Malot doesn't spare anyone the harsh reality of the world, yet he is neither crude nor prone to despair. What a great read.
Mehri
Jun 28, 2013 Mehri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: رمان
این کتاب را به یاد دوران نوجوانی ام خواندم. همیشه دوست داشتم بخوانمش اما فرصتش نبود. به نظرم ترجمه کتاب خوب نبود. از کلماتی خوبی استفاده نشده است و حتی گاهی در مفهوم بعضی جملات ابهام وجود داشت.
Rana Heshmati
Jun 27, 2013 Rana Heshmati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rana by: Masoomeh Tavakoli
Shelves: رمان
در آغوش خانواده- ترجمه ی محمد قاضی
درضمن, 468 صفحه !!!

کتاب رو از معلم عزیزم گرفته بودم, تا به کس دیگه ای بدم, ولی نتونستم صبر کنم, و خوندمش :)) و واقعا لذت بردم. :>
Antoinetraductor
Esta versión de Andres Bello es una adaptación y ha sido abreviada. Yo hice su traducción directa del francés al español, léanla gratuitamente: www.enfamlia.blogspot.mx
Diane
Apr 12, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this story as an 10 year old and for years it was my favorite book. I gave it to my daughters and they loved it as well. Great story for anyone.
Terri
Jan 02, 2014 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child Malot's Nobody's Boy was my absolute favorite book so I couldn't wait to read this too. It pales in comparison.
Judy
What a delightful surprise! And, what a nice way to introduce a child to France.
Irène Wadowski uliasz
je connaissais sans famille mais pas son pendant. ce fut une agréable lecture.
  • Τον καιρό του Βουλγαροκτόνου
  • Τα ψηλά βουνά
  • Le petit Nicolas a des ennuis (Le petit Nicolas, #5)
  • Ο μεγάλος περίπατος του Πέτρου
  • The Brethren
  • Η Αναζήτηση (Τετραλογία Νίκου Θέμελη, #1)
  • Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)
  • Bellarion
  • Le diable sur les épaules (French Edition)
  • Rebel McKenzie
  • Rapunzel: A Groovy Fairy Tale
  • Αθηνά: Ευτυχώς που δεν γεννήθηκα όμορφη...
  • They Loved to Laugh
  • Shells, Smells, and the Horrible Flip-Flops of Doom (Justin Case, #2)
  • Barn Boot Blues
  • Melisande
  • The Little Bookroom
  • Τα στενά παπούτσια
Hector Malot was a French writer born in La Bouille, Seine-Maritime. He studied law in Rouen and Paris, but eventually literature became his passion. He worked as a dramatic critic for Lloyd Francais and as a literary critic for L'Opinion Nationale.
His first book, published in 1859, was Les Amants. In total Malot wrote over 70 books. By far his most famous book is Sans Famille (Nobody's Boy, 1878)
More about Hector Malot...