Nobody's Girl

Nobody's Girl

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Perrine, a young girl, is orphaned at the age of 12, and her mother's last words are for her to find members of her father's family and make them love her for herself before revealing her identity. She experiences hunger, poverty, and manages to take care of herself through determination and creativity. Finding work in her grandfather's factory without revealing her identi...more
Published January 28th 2006 by Inheritance Publications (first published January 1st 1878)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody's Girl

Talia Carner
Recently, on his radio show about my latest novel, the interviewer Lewis Burke Frumkes asked me, “What did you read when you were young?” I told him about this one book that I had read in my youth over and over. However, for decades I had been unable to find this novel, whose title in French (and in the Hebrew translation—the language of my childhood) was “In The Family.” This title meant rather the opposite of the English translation, “Nobody’s Girl,” which is more apt.

In my pre- and early-te...more
Vivian
This is one of the treasures I found on my grandfather's bookshelves during one of the many idle summer days I spent there as a teenager. I absolutely LOVED this book and even wrote to Disney that it needed to be made into a movie.

I finally subscribed to my library's inter-library loan service for a copy to read to my teenage daughter. Reading it together we felt it was a mash-up of Hugo's "Les Miserables", Dicken's "Oliver Twist", Burnett's "Little Lord Fauntleroy", and even Twain's "Huckleber...more
Ladan Alizadeh
قهرمان و الگوی من در کودکی بود پرین٬ فرانسه حرف میزد٬ تنها زندگی می کرد٬ شغل منطقی و درآمد داشت تو ۱۲ سالگی
Susan
My mother gave me this book as a gift and I read it many times. I loved the story and cried over the poor girl's trials and tribulations until the happy ending when she and her grandfather were united. Ihe next year I received Nobody's Boy and read that avidlly, too, although it wasn't as great as it's companion. Years ago I gave them to one of my neices, also an avid reader. I hope she enjoyed them as much as I did.
Carmussel
Sep 08, 2008 Carmussel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carmussel by: in my home library
The version of this book that I read - and re-read (almost yearly) was titled "The Adventures of Perrine." It was the ultimate kid survival book, with Perrine living alone, feeding on bulbs and weaving with rushes, etc etc. It was very exciting to an impressionable child!!
FeReSHte
I just remember finishing the book in one day.It was a record for me back at that age because I was only a 12 year old girl.I couldn't get enough of it.Reading the story of Perine's life after having her viewed on the Tv screen (its animation) was a great joy!
Nancy
CLM
May 01, 2008 CLM rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: Carrie Bernstein in 5th grade
I absolutely love this book about French orphan Perrine, who promises her dying mother that she will seek out the family that disowned her father for marrying beneath him, and without revealing her identity, cause them to value her for herself.

I was introduced to this book by my elementary school friend, Carrie Bernstein (now a noted migraine specialist). Perrine's quest to find the family that has ignored her existence is very moving. I always gravitated towards orphan stories but what I partic...more
Sandra Noel
Oh, this is an old, old book. I have been searching for it for many years. I recall being young, in a foreign country, and finding a home for myself in a library. This book was one of the first things I read, and, in a way, it is a touchstone for many other things. My first exposure to the French language led me to study French for seven years and add any number of other languages to it. Just this simple, old, book.

I have searched in vain for many years, until I found it in public domain on the...more
Sam Grace
Jan 25, 2011 Sam Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: Abigail A.
What a fascinating depiction of class and age based morality in the Industrial Age. Should I worry that I find it impossible to read it any other way? I admit, I liked Perrine - there are qualities in her that seem familiar, for sure - but I'm not sure I'd want the young women in my life trying to be good like her.

I was also fascinated by the class/race issues related to the girl's upper class Indian mother.
Summer
This story, published previously as The Adventures of Perrine, was passed down to me by my mother who received it from her mother. I had to finally buy a new copy since it has been read so often it is falling apart. I highly recommend it. It was written a long time ago, but it is a very modern story. Perrine's independence challenges commonly held ideas and in the end triumphs over them. Her ingenuity is inspiring.
James Sarah Madison
I have an older copy of this book, under it's original title- 'The Adventures of Perrine'. I read it as a young girl while visiting my Grandparents. Years later, I convinced my Grandma to give the book to me (even though it was part of a book club set that she was loathe to break up, my pleading won out.)

Thanks Grandma! It's as good a book as I remember from my girlhood!
Masoomeh Tavakoli
این کتاب ارزش ادبی بالایی ندارد، امّا من خیلی دوستش می دارم!
در کودکی هر چند وقت یک بار دوره اش می کردم!
آن تکّه اش که پرین دور از نظر مردم، در کلبه ی شکاری زندگی می کرد، از قسمت های محبوب و خوراک خیال پردازی های بی انتهای تابستانی ام بود...
Phoenix2
unlike sans famile, this one was quite simplier and had a bright side over the facts, even though perrin was an orphan. all in all this book captures the atmosphere of europe when the factory were on their pic.
Tony
Another great book by Malot. Essential reading for a teenager (or even younger), Malot doesn't spare anyone the harsh reality of the world, yet he is neither crude nor prone to despair. What a great read.
Mehri
این کتاب را به یاد دوران نوجوانی ام خواندم. همیشه دوست داشتم بخوانمش اما فرصتش نبود. به نظرم ترجمه کتاب خوب نبود. از کلماتی خوبی استفاده نشده است و حتی گاهی در مفهوم بعضی جملات ابهام وجود داشت.
Rana Heshmati
در آغوش خانواده- ترجمه ی محمد قاضی
درضمن, 468 صفحه !!!

کتاب رو از معلم عزیزم گرفته بودم, تا به کس دیگه ای بدم, ولی نتونستم صبر کنم, و خوندمش :)) و واقعا لذت بردم. :>
Antoinetraductor
Esta versión de Andres Bello es una adaptación y ha sido abreviada. Yo hice su traducción directa del francés al español, léanla gratuitamente: www.enfamlia.blogspot.mx
Diane
I read this story as an 10 year old and for years it was my favorite book. I gave it to my daughters and they loved it as well. Great story for anyone.
Terri
As a child Malot's Nobody's Boy was my absolute favorite book so I couldn't wait to read this too. It pales in comparison.
Armina
فقط می خواستم ارادت خودمو نسبت به آقای محمّد قاضی ابراز کنم! :دی
Ailyn Salvo
Llore con este libro cuando lo era pequeña y lo leí...
Javi Valenzuela
nesesito leer este libro

Aiman
that's very nice...
laila
Apr 28, 2007 laila rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who loves novel
hhhmmm
Andreea Gheghes
Andreea Gheghes marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Ο μεγάλος περίπατος του Πέτρου
  • Rebel McKenzie
  • Τρελαντώνης
  • The Brethren
  • Les vacances du petit Nicolas
  • Minnie McClary Speaks Her Mind
  • Ivy and Bean Make the Rules (Ivy and Bean, #9)
  • They Loved to Laugh
  • The Adventures of Beanboy
  • The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z.
  • In the Reign of Terror: The Adventures of a Westminster Boy
  • Confessions of a Closet Catholic
  • Saint Louis Armstrong Beach
  • Dear Blue Sky
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • The Popularity Papers: Book Four: The Rocky Road Trip of Lydia Goldblatt & Julie Graham-Chang
  • Freaky Fast Frankie Joe
  • مردی در تبعید ابدی
Hector Malot was a French writer born in La Bouille, Seine-Maritime. He studied law in Rouen and Paris, but eventually literature became his passion. He worked as a dramatic critic for Lloyd Francais and as a literary critic for L'Opinion Nationale.
His first book, published in 1859, was Les Amants. In total Malot wrote over 70 books. By far his most famous book is Sans Famille (Nobody's Boy, 1878)...more
More about Hector Malot...
Nobody's Boy Alleen op de Wereld [naar de roman van Hector Malot] Singur pe lume (Romanian edition) (Literatura Universala) En Famille, Tome 2 Alleen op de wereld