Start by marking “What About the Kids?: Raising Your Children Before, During, and After Divorce” as Want to Read:
What About the Kids?: Raising Your Children Before, During, and After Divorce

What About the Kids?: Raising Your Children Before, During, and After Divorce

The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce gave us new and important insight into the long-term effects of divorce on children who have grown into adulthood. What About the Kids? is a new book that tells parents in unprecedented detail how to help their children over the long haul--what to say, what to do, what to expect--every step of the way.

Tapping into the latest findings on how
Published March 12th 2003 by Hachette Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about What About the Kids?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What About the Kids?

figsfromthistles
Sep 12, 2011 figsfromthistles rated it really liked it
Judith Wallerstein has been studying divorce for several decades now and has written a slew of books on the topic; so many, in fact, that her name winds up in almost everything written on the subject. She's done a twenty-five year study on the long-term effects of divorce on children that informs much of her work. I expect to work my way through several of her books.

So far, the book has given very good advice on how to tell the boys; which points to cover, how to help them shape a family story
Rozana
Apr 09, 2013 Rozana rated it it was amazing
The thing I like about this book is that it divides the chapters according to different age groups; for each age group there is a preferred/recommended way on how to tackle the topic of divorce. Toddlers are not like teenagers; the different needs & challenges of each age is outlined in a simple way for divorcing parents to comprehend. I have recommended this book to friends and family members; they all found it to be helpful!
Angie
Oct 30, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing
The authors discussed the developmental stages of children and how these abilities and limitations impact a child's experience of divorce. It provides recommendations for how to help children in each age group through divorce. Ultimately, it provides parents and professionals with the child's perspective of divorce as a continuing experience and not simply as a one time event. Highly recommend.
Brad
Apr 24, 2009 Brad rated it it was amazing
Getting divorced and have kids?
Know someone who is?
This is the book. Wallerstein attempts the challenge of discussing how children perceive divorce and what they need during several stages of childhood. It sounds obvious, but that is really, really hard to find in a book like this. This was the essential read for my divorce. I recommend it all the time.
I hope you never need it, but if you do...
Azita
Feb 07, 2016 Azita rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book on divorce and the effects on children.
Nicole
Jul 13, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Made me realize anew that custody is about what is best for the kids, even if it means I won't get to see them as much when they're rebellious teenagers and want more freedom with dad.
Michelle
Oct 22, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
I only read the section on remarriage so I can't comment on the whole book. Repetitive advice, but good to read none-the-less.
Marsha
Jun 24, 2008 Marsha rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marsha by: Melanie Hamilton @Barkley and Assoc.
Very practical info - much good legal info - based on author's extensive study of divorced families over 25 years
Christopher
Aug 20, 2008 Christopher rated it it was ok
A guide to helping your children cope with divorce the best way possible
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
David Millier
David Millier rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Tania
Tania rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Cek  virabey
Cek virabey marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Shardaye Thomas
Shardaye Thomas marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Jamie Wong
Jamie Wong rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
FSN
FSN marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Matthew D Miller
Matthew D Miller rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Doug Pell
Doug Pell rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Marcia Malone Bell
Marcia Malone Bell rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Sasha Velez
Sasha Velez marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Ahi
Ahi marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015