Start by marking “Pathfinder: An American Saga” as Want to Read:
Pathfinder: An American Saga

Pathfinder: An American Saga

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
'Pathfinder' is the story of a young Viking boy left behind as the only survivor of a shipwrecked expedition. A stranger in a strange land, the boy is raised by a tribe of Native Americans - the very people Vikings had sworn to destroy.
Published August 8th 2006 by Dark Horse Comics (first published August 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pathfinder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pathfinder

Zack
Not even worth reading. The story is cliche, a carbon copy of myriad stories of finding one's place in the world. From the beginning, it lauds itself as an adaptation of a movie, and it shows, though not to any advantage. The graphics appear to be 'artistically' blurred and colored stills from the movie, with dialogue thrown on top. Little to no effort is made towards character development, and what little there is ignores any attempt at "show, don't tell."
I didn't even have to pay the $20 price
Rick Silva
Graphic novel adapted from the movie screenplay.

A viking ship is wrecked on the North American coast, and the lone survivor, a young boy who was a prisoner in the hold, is rescued by a Wampanoag woman. He is given the name Ghost and is taken in by the tribe, but is forced to fight for his life when the viking raiders return to pillage what has become his home.

The painted artwork is visually awesome, although there are occasional moments when it can be difficult to make out the details of the act
Scott
"Pathfinder" is a graphic novel by Laeta Kalogridis (story) and Christopher Shy (artwork). Shy's work caught my eye from a trilogy he is doing with Michael Easton (the soap opera actor), called "Soul Stealer". I found a copy of this one, and paid a total of $4.00 for it. The actual book cost was $0.01, making me decide to get it.

The book is based on the movie by the same title, which Kalogridis was the screenwriter. If I understand her forward in the book, Shy was working on the movie project in
Eden
A young viking boy is found by a Native American woman. She's sees that he is alone and has no one where. The boy is taken back to the woman's village and they allow him to stay. He is raised by the woman who found him and her husband. However, many years pass and the vikings return. They destory his village and kill the people, including the two people who raised him as their own son.

Ghosts wants revenge. But, he will learn that his path is not one of revenge.

I saw the movie in the theater and
Lex Marie
Pathfinder: An American Saga is a beautiful story with amazing artwork that made my heart jump with the turn of a page. This was a very short read, with very minimal words, but the stunning visuals take up most of the time spent reading this book. This is definitely not my usual read, being a historical fiction featuring a clash between Native Americans and Vikings, but it was a fantastic one and I am glad to have it in my collection. If you're a fan of stunning visuals and heartfelt stories, yo ...more
Kevin Fanning
The art was cool for the most part. Sometimes it was hard to tell what exactly was happening, but it was visually striking enough that I didn't mind. Story-wise, there are some weird politics going on here that someone much smarter than I could have a field day with, but basically the set up is: What if 500 years before Europeans were dicks to Native Americans, Norse people were TOTAL dicks to Native Americans? I guess if that is an idea you're wondering about you should go ahead and read this.
Josh
The art was sometimes cool, but often hard to decipher. The story was nothing special and a bit cliché.
Trevor
Aug 03, 2007 Trevor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Ben Templesmith, Beowulf
Shelves: comix
Stunning, ethereal, visceral images set amidst shades of blues, greens, and auburns immediately strike anyone fortunate enough to have casually stumbled upon a copy of Pathfinder. Set centuries before Columbus’ “discovery” of the New World, Pathfinder tells the tale of Viking boy, a lone survivor of a Viking voyage, scared, hiding among the corpses of his fellow Norse, and among bodies of captured Native Americans, who must make a new life in the Americas.
Charles
I saw the movie and liked it well enough to pick up the graphic novel. There were a few differences but not many. The art was very nice, but so insistently dark that it was sometimes hard to tell what was going on. The story is told in the most simplistic language, and is definitely 'told' rather than shown. I normally would not care for that much, but in this case it was a cumulative effect that worked by the end. All in all, a decent read.
Christina
Predictable story (no, I've not seen the movie) and while the art is good, it becomes a bit like trying to read in a fog There's so much mist in the paintings that I was almost rubbing my eyes (in a frustrated way) by the time I was done reading. I had this increasing sense that if I could just see through the fog, there'd be this whole other layer to the story... disappointing that I couldn't get there.
Samuel Snoek-Brown
The almost wordless storytelling is sometimes interesting, and the art is occasionally beautiful, but in the end, the story itself is pretty thin and kind of lame.
Renee
Gorgeous art; good story.
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Kat
Kat added it
Jan 08, 2015
Alex Reynolds
Alex Reynolds marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014