Start by marking “COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work” as Want to Read:
COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work
Preview

COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Problems arise in every relationship. And when they do, some coping strategies simply work better, hurt less, and mend hearts more quickly than others do. If you've ever wondered why your partner behaves a certain way or how patterns of conflict become entrenched in your relationship, Couple Skills is the book for you.

This book can change your relationship by changing how
Published June 1st 2000 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about COUPLE SKILLS Making Your Realationship Work

Destiny
I read this book for a relationship class and it was very informative. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their relationships with friends, children or lover. It really makes you look at yourself and how you interact with others.
vic
Mar 10, 2007 vic rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
it sucked
Nichole
I chose this book for a project in my community college communications class. Overall, in my opinion, it was an okay book. I'm more a fictional reader so I wasn't that into it. But, for being my second non-fiction book I have had to read in college I enjoyed it. I believe this book would be really helpful for people searching for a "self-help" kind of way to better a relationship. However, if you are really trying to use the book to develop new skills you should really utilize the activities the ...more
Rebecca
Here is a lovely idea: good relationships are not born, they are built. In other words, there are skills you can learn and practice and get better at that will make communication "clean" and relationships manageable. And reading the mean and nasty example conversations will make you and your partner look like saints.

This book is very direct, cracker-dry and clinical, with very clear step-by-step directions for cleaning up communication, identifying damaging patterns and upping positive feedback
Michelle
This is a solid CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) book focused on couple skills. It is written in a very straightforward and somewhat dry manner but the information is very relevant and useful and as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker I can definitely imagine using this book as a reference for clients (and myself) in the future. I was especially impressed with the exercises throughout the book which can really help hone skills and work through specific personal problems.
Emma
Good information - a little dry. What I like best about it is that it is a collection of a la carte skills - no big grand theory to swallow first. I am a little burned out on grand theories that aim to explain the entire reason for relationships and how to fix everything about them. It never seems to really work out the way you hope. So this book doesn't do that so much. Huzzah.
Rebekah
One of the better 'relationship' books I've read. The authors know their stuff. They give good examples. They're professional. They're realistic. I'd recommend this to anybody for any situation.
Asami
Resourceful book, with techniques which can be used in daily life. Skills are backed up with relevant theories and researches.
Lisa Alfriend
Only useful book for my career assigned in college..
Mary Emily O'Hara
This book might save everyone.
Rahmat'An Lil'Alamin
Rahmat'An Lil'Alamin marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Bethany Hudak
Bethany Hudak marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Deb Silva
Deb Silva marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Angela Spinharney
Angela Spinharney marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Josias
Josias marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Tony
Tony added it
Mar 13, 2015
Nikhil P. Freeman
Nikhil P. Freeman marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
TEISHA
TEISHA marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Zinhle
Zinhle marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Marriage Rules: A Manual for the Married and the Coupled Up
  • How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
  • The Dysfunctional Relationship Manual: A Checklist and Workbook
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • Extraordinary Relationships: A New Way of Thinking about Human Interactions
  • After the Affair: Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust When a Partner Has Been Unfaithful
  • Love Is Never Enough: How Couples Can Overcome Misunderstandings, Resolve Conflicts, and Solve
  • Passionate Marriage: Keeping Love and Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships
  • Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create More Love and Less Conflict
  • The Adventure of Self-Discovery: Dimensions of Consciousness and New Perspectives in Psychotherapy and Inner Exploration (Suny Series in Transpersonal and Humanistic Psychology)
  • Ten Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Power of the Middle Ground: A Couple's Guide to Renewing Your Relationship
  • Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage, and Why We Stray
  • Relationship Rescue: A Seven-Step Strategy for Reconnecting with Your Partner
  • Anxious in Love: How to Manage Your Anxiety, Reduce Conflict, and Reconnect with Your Partner
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
Matthew McKay, PhD, is a professor of psychology at the Wright Institute in Berkeley, and author of more than 30 professional psychology and self-help books which have sold a combined total of more than 3 million copies. He is co-founder of independent self-help publisher, New Harbinger Publications. He was the clinical director of Haight Ashbury Psychological Services in San Francisco for twenty ...more
More about Matthew McKay...
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem Messages When Anger Hurts: Quieting the Storm Within The Anger Control Workbook