Start by marking “Flynn (Flynn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flynn (Flynn, #1)

Flynn (Flynn #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  528 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Ever since F.X. Flynn made his first appearance in Confess, Fletch, matching wits with the inimitable Irwin Fletcher, he has befuddled, infuriated, and amazed his colleagues on the Boston Police force while in pursuit of blackmailers, murderers, embezzlers, politicians, and, occasionally, his fellow policemen.

It might have been an accident that brought down the Boeing 707
Published February 4th 2003 by Vintage (first published July 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Flynn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flynn

Mhd
I first read this years ago, but I just finished a re-read. I love the Flynn character and how he interacts with others, especially his family. It's best to read this series in order, but not as necessary as in many other series. Airport security, terrorism, technology, and other things have dated this series, but not to the point that the action, process, and humor are affected.
Hans
Flynn's first solo outing is definitely not quite the perfection in the form of the lightening-that-struck-twice with Fletch and Confess, Fletch, but still better than most comic thrillers. Flynn works best when the Inspector is doing things his own way, spending time with his family, and driving other authorities crazy. A few things feel dated (airport security, the 1970s trope about fake nations, and the no-named spy agency), but there are enough pleasures here to keep the pages flying.

The ele
Rich
Fletch creator, Gregory McDonald, pulled a character from the second Fletch novel (Confess, Fletch), and created the most unlikeliest of spies--Francis Xaivier Flynn. Flynn holds the rank of Inspector in the Boston Police Department, but the fact is there isn't such a rank in that department. It's a cover for his government job, an operative for an unnamed agency.

Flynn is also a loving family man, who returns home to his wife and four children every night.

While he's solving mysteries for the F
Brian
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. After first meeting this character in the Fletch series I thought I would give it a try.

The way the author builds in a backstory of the main character into the plotline of the book is done really well. It's a little 'need-to-know' when you get more info coming to light about the character's history and he gives you just enough to satisfy for that point in time. It sticks to your standard crime/mystery genre, but the lead character has enough personality to drive the
David
I enjoyed reading this book. I picked it up because Flynn was the Boston Inspector Fletch worked with/against in "Confess, Fletch" (a very good book). The book is a fun, engrossing read. But, the ending is a bit weak. Oh, the bad guys are found out, but there's no satisfaction in it. Various third parties clean things up once Flynn figures things out, but Flynn doesn't really get to say "I told you so" or to rub someone's nose in their stupidity. Truth, Justice, and the American Way are served, ...more
Jan
Meh :( I adored Gregory McDonald's Skylar series and enjoyed the Fletch books I read. Flynn has left me cold despite the Boston locale. He is a police "inspector" who is really a spy in hiding but he just thinks he's too clever for his own good. The story had potential when a plane crashes near Flynn's home. I was thinking about the excellent Night Fall by Nelson Demille. No such luck. Too many cockamamie suspects and motives to even be interesting. Think I will stick w Carlotta Carlysle & S ...more
Nathan Hurst
I reread this book after 20 years and it still made me laugh. Great characters and great plot. Flynn is the Columbo of the spy world, with many people believing him to be a bumbling fool, in actuality he's way ahead of everyone.

The plot has you twisting and turning, not knowing quite what to think until the big reveal at the end. I felt the FBI agent Hess could have had a little more of a fall at the end but that may come later.

Looking forward to the next in the series.
Peter Flom
This book is the first in the Flynn series. Flynn is a great character - devoted father and husband, detective extraordinnaire, international operative.... Lots of fun. Full review http://voices.yahoo.com/book-review-f...
Cam
In some ways, the Flynn series is even better than the Fletch. Mainly in that there is the whole Flynn clan, their devotion to music, and their greater connectedness to society. Still, lots of snarky fun and witty banter.
Alan
A great detective series by the author of the Fletch books. My only problem is that the last book is way too short (more story than novel). I wish we could see more of this character and his sidekick "Grover."
Barbara
It had its moments. Enough that I'll probably read another. I have the Fletch book in which Flynn was introduced on hold at the library.
Julie
Same author as Fletch - good for a light mystery read.
Andy
Another great McDonald murder mystery
Melindatestori
Melindatestori marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Hippie Man 4 Life
Hippie Man 4 Life marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Thay
Thay marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Al Dawson
Al Dawson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe, #47)
  • Quiller's Run
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • The Ferrari in the Bedroom

Flynn (4 books)
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • Flynn's In (Flynn, #3)
  • Flynn's World (Flynn, #4)
Fletch (Fletch, #1) Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2) Fletch Won (Fletch, #8) Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3) Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)