Start by marking “Beatrice Goes to Brighton (The Traveling Matchmaker, #4)” as Want to Read:
Beatrice Goes to Brighton (The Traveling Matchmaker, #4)

Beatrice Goes to Brighton (The Traveling Matchmaker #4)

Spinster Miss Hannah Pym, retired housekeeper, continues riding English stagecoach. Lady Beatrice Marsham, widowed from brutish gambler, is pressed by heartless family to another horrid marriage. Handsome and kind Lord Alistair Munro would be perfect if he did not believe ton gossip that she is a cruel flirt. Hannah takes a hand to bring the pair together.
Published June 1992 by St Martins (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Beatrice Goes to Brighton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beatrice Goes to Brighton

QNPoohBear
In this fourth volume, Miss Pym is on her way to Brighton to see the sea again and becomes involved in another wild adventure. Traveling on the coach is one Lady Beatrice Marsham, who at first seems very cold and distant. When Lady Beatrice is taken away by a rough gentleman, Hannah becomes convinced that Lady Beatrice was taken by force and not of her own free will as Lady Beatrice insisted. With the help of Lord Alistair Munro, a guest at the coaching inn, and her clever, sneaky footman, ...more
Mo
Apr 11, 2013 Mo added it
Shelves: brit-lit, regency
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Anne
Apr 13, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by M C Beaton. This one is from the travelling matchmaker series. The heroine and matchmaker, Miss Pym, and her new footman, Benjamin, are on the stagecoach, when they meet Lady Beatrice Marsham. An exciting story follows, with unexpected happenings, as Beatrice escapes an unsuitable liaison and her less than ideal parents.

Hannah Pym takes it upon herself to find a more suitable partner for Beatrice. The way she comes to the aid of Beatrice with the help of Benjamin, makes fo
Susan in NC
3.5 stars - I read several Marion Chesney Regency romances many, many years ago when they first came out and enjoyed them immensely - feather-weight, charming, clean and fun brain candy, but also providing wonderful information about the period. This title was offered on Kindle for a bargain price, I was at the beach for a couple days and between books - perfect for a re-read! Her books stand up well after so many years and still offer a quick, light, enjoyable read - perfect for summer!
Leslie
Jul 10, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
This was a nice light, fast vacation re-read. Hannah and the reader get to experience Regency-style swimming - women clothed and backed into the water in a horse-drawn cart, men walking into the water in the buff - entirely separate events.
Yukari Watanabe
Again. I enjoy crazy side characters much better than main romantic couple.
Patricia
Sep 19, 2016 Patricia rated it liked it
After reading many of M. C. Beaton's mysteries I now have started on her romance series. She has a formula but changes the character and the plot and I enjoy the lighthearted romance adventures. This one had me looking up bathing machines which are part of the plot of the book.
Alexandria
I think out of the 4 Travelling Matchmaker books that I have read so far this has got to be my least favourite. I just didn't like Beatrice. Oh she is shown very well to be the misunderstood, damaged woman who after a disastrous fist marriage hates all men and does nothing but flirt with them, make them fall in love with her, and then takes it no further - because, after all, men are heartless... aren't they? But something was just a little off with her. I think it could be that she pretty much ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - I thought Brighton, now we get to see Beaton's take on the Prince Regent 'Prinny'. I wasn't disappointed. Brighton society came across really well, with all of the backstabbing and social climbing to boot. I still love Hannah Pym, though I think I need to read numbers 2 & 3 to understand how Benjamin Stubbs came to be with her. Loved Beatrice Marsham and the way that she changed so much through the story.

Genre? - Historical / Romance

Characters? - Hannah Pym / Beatrice Marsham / Benj
Gloria Mccracken
Jul 12, 2015 Gloria Mccracken rated it really liked it
Another romp with Miss Hannah Pym, the Traveling Matchmaker. This time it's a bit of a hard sell (two people jaded with the behavior of some representatives of the opposite sex). Hannah herself receives a rude shock when she returns home. Meanwhile her footman (who pretty much hired himself and refuses to leave) gets her into and out of jams by his wits and gambling abilities. this is the fourth in the series.
Wilde Sky
Jun 22, 2013 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A woman is freed from life as a servant by an inheritance and travels around England (by horse drawn coach) playing matchmaker between unlikely couples – in this case a bitter widow (who is fleeing an arranged marriage) and a confirmed bachelor.

I’ve read quite a few of the books in this series and this is one of the better ones – full of mild humour and clearly defined scoundrels / heroes.

A few hours can be entertainingly filled reading this book.
Tasneem
Sep 20, 2014 Tasneem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Beatrice is proud and haughty, but it is only a veneer used to protect her from the abuse and unhappiness of life. And then comes Miss Pym, to make her laugh and learn to be human again. I adore Miss Pym and Benjamin. I love how loyal they both are to their friends, to each other. So well written and so very funny in the best possible way.
Sep 15, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
I'm getting through the series very quickly and feel they get better each time. These short novels are quite amusing and easy to read when one's brain is otherwise very occupied. Marion Chesney gives us the occasional social history lesson on how people lived in the early 1800s, which can be interesting, tied into a simple plot.
Lynne Tull
Apr 06, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Stephen Lawton
Nov 28, 2014 Stephen Lawton rated it really liked it
Like all of M. C. Beaton's books this was over all too quickly. I still marvel at her ability to make essentially the same narrative arc of each book so interesting and engaging. I care about Hannah Pym very much and am glad of her manservant Benjamin's care for her too.
Pinky
Oct 07, 2013 Pinky rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-13
Miss Pym is on another stagecoach adventure - this time to Brighton with a Lady Beatrice who has been woefully neglected by her family and horribly mistreated by her husband. Fun episode where Miss Pym gets to meet the Prince. Some more sinister plots involving Miss Pym making a few more enemies.
Yvonne Thompson
Feb 08, 2014 Yvonne Thompson rated it it was amazing
There's something wondrously naive about Miss Hannah Pym. I just love her character. She makes me believe that, even when everything is going wrong, it will be alright.

Thank you, Marion Chesney, for introducing me to Hannah.
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Quickie Read -I believe this has been the best of the Ms. Hannah's adventures and an improvement in the story lines of the journeys. Although, Sir George has disappointed me to the max.
Rita
May 20, 2012 Rita rated it liked it
In this book the story mainly takes place in Brighton instead of during the journey. Loved the sea bathing and that Hannah got to meet the Prince.
Jamie
Another fun trip

Miss Pym is a delight! She is a wonderful matchmaker, but wise to all the world. It is a pleasure to spend time traveling on one of her new adventures.
Alix Solomon
May 27, 2016 Alix Solomon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible!!

Do not waste your time. It reads like a 12 year old wrote it. The author obviously knew nothing about the time period either.
Kathryn
May 16, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of the Traveling Matchmaker books in a week or so. They are short and fun. Very light reading but very enjoyable!
Ellitia
Jan 04, 2013 Ellitia rated it really liked it
Chesney Manages to keep this series interesting. I like the mystery of it and the romance keeps me coming.
Noura Al-jabeli
Aug 23, 2013 Noura Al-jabeli rated it it was amazing
Lovely read. I have a soft spot for Edwardian/ Victorian stories. The characters are all lovable and even the villains. My favorite is Benjamin, always clever.
Helen Thomas
Helen Thomas rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Alia
Alia rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Andrea Roskelley
Andrea Roskelley rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Merrill Cutts
Merrill Cutts rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Cara Hughes
Cara Hughes rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
  • The Highland Countess (Cotillion Regency Romance, #10) (Regency Royal, #7)
  • Polly (Edwardian Candlelight, #1) (Regency Love, #5)
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • The Bar Sinister (Clanross,0.5)
  • The Sugar Rose
  • Lady Ann's Excellent Adventure (A Regency Short Story)
  • Lavender Lady
  • Lord of Dishonor
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • The Diamond Key
  • Viscount Vagabond / Devil's Delilah (Regency Noblemen, #1 & #2) (Signet Regency Romance)
  • Runaway Bride
  • Time's Fool (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #1)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

The Traveling Matchmaker (6 books)
  • Emily Goes to Exeter (The Traveling Matchmaker, #1)
  • Belinda Goes to Bath (The Traveling Matchmaker, #2)
  • Penelope Goes to Portsmouth (The Traveling Matchmaker, #3)
  • Deborah Goes to Dover (The Traveling Matchmaker, #5)
  • Yvonne Goes to York (The Traveling Matchmaker, #6)