Start by marking “Rake's Progress (A House for the Season, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rake's Progress (A House for the Season, #4)

Rake's Progress (A House for the Season #4)

The newest master of 67 Clarges Street--that good address in London's fashionable Mayfair--is a single gentleman, the handsome, rich, and notorious rake Lord Guy Carlton. After years of fighting in the wars against Napoleon, the dashing lord is determined to kick up his heels with wine, women, and song, undeterred by appalled reaction.

Never before have the Clarges Street s
Published August 1st 1987 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rake's Progress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rake's Progress

Cotillion by Georgette HeyerThe Grand Sophy by Georgette HeyerPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenFrederica by Georgette HeyerThe Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer
Clean Humorous Historical Romances
42nd out of 158 books — 49 voters
Lord Carew's Bride by Mary BaloghReforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla KellyThe Temporary Wife by Mary BaloghMrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla KellyThe Rake by Mary Jo Putney
Traditional Regency
366th out of 491 books — 235 voters

More lists with this book...

QNPoohBear
Feb 07, 2014 QNPoohBear rated it it was ok
67 Clarges Street is let for the season by Lord Guy Carlton, who, upon returning from the wars, decides to sample all London has to offer in the way of debauchery. After a wild night of partying, the servants are shocked at their new master's level of dissipation and feel what he needs is a good woman to help him settle down. Help comes in the form of Miss Esther Jones, a strict spinster in charge of two younger siblings. Miss Jones meets Lizzie, the scullery maid, by chance, and learns of ...more
Andrea Guy
Jun 12, 2010 Andrea Guy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quick-reads
Marion Chesney is one of my all-time favorite writers in the regency genre. The good thing about this genre of romance is that it is suitable for young adult readers as well as adult readers. There's no passionate sex going on in these books.

Chesney's writing is always light and entertaining, like a movie you want to watch over and over. In this series, there are many secondary characters that are just as important as Esther and Lord Guy and Chesney makes sure you feel like you know each one of
Susan in NC
Aug 20, 2016 Susan in NC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
2016: Fun, feather-light Regency reread I return to when I want something fast and fluffy! I was glad a couple years ago to pick these up as kindles on sale so I have them on hand.

2013 reread: I've read a lot of Marion Chesney/M.C Beaton over the years, mysteries and romances, and have returned for rereads of this Regency series several times. I think it is her best series for the farcical, fun plots, the fairly strong characters (we actually get inside their heads a bit), and the interesting ca
Emily
Jul 25, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
I love this series as a kid, and when I saw it was free on Prime, I decided to give it another go. I remembered that this was a weaker entry, and I found that was still the case. What's interesting about this series is that it's really the servants that carry it, and the couples vary greatly in how appealing they really are. This book was a little lower based on that scale, so I have to say I probably wouldn't read it a third time.
Kristin Davison
Booktubeathon book #4 - book older than me

This is the first book I have read via audible, and I was disappointed in an annoying narrator who gave the characters weird voices that didn't really fit and sounded very similar, making it hard to understand who was talking.

I was also more than disappointed in the fact that there was a woman who at gun point was forced to marry a man in order to save her reputation and that there was attempted rape. This is a let down in a good series.
Barbara Rogers
Nov 03, 2016 Barbara Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the audio version of this book, and the narrator did an excellent job.

The series is about a series of residents who rent the home at 67 Clarges Street in Mayfair. The house is known as a bad luck house because the previous owner (a duke) killed himself in the house. Since then, all of the residents have had very bad luck befall them - the daughter of one family died, one family lost ALL of their money, etc. The house is available to rent for a give-away rate and is fully staffed by an odd
Kate McMurry
May 09, 2013 Kate McMurry rated it really liked it
Delightfully oddball, Regency romantic comedy

This is the fourth of six books in the Regency-romance series, "A House for the Season." The complete series is:

The Miser of Mayfair, the First Volume
Plain Jane, the Second Volume
The Wicked Godmother, the Third Volume
Rake's Progress, the Fourth Volume
The Adventuress, the Fifth Volume
Rainbird's Revenge, the Sixth Volume

The central core of this series is a group of servants who, for various personal reasons, are miserably bound to their employment at Nu
Chiara171
Nov 28, 2016 Chiara171 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quarto episodio della serie ed ancora un delizioso romanzetto regency sulle avventure e disavventure dei domestici di 67 Clarges Stret e dei suoi ospiti per la Stagione.
Ho amato la trama ed i protagonisti, seppur molto semplici, e tifo per tutti loro!
Dana Loo
Una trama a dir poco esuberante. Però nel complesso abbastanza piacevole...
Alexandria
Sep 18, 2014 Alexandria rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Here we have a hero who just wanted to have a good time after just coming home from the wars (even if he didn't go about it in the best of ways) and a heroine who was around at the wrong time to see it.

The Lovers
Esther was a headstrong heroine who was used to looking after herself and her younger brother and sister and was more than capable of doing so. Until it came to society matters and then she was a fish out of water.

She made no secret of the fact that she disapproved of the hero after se
Laura Delgado
Aug 14, 2016 Laura Delgado rated it really liked it
The house is rented this season by Lord Guy, recently home from the wars with illness. He and his best friend Jolly Roger are determined to enjoy themselves, and begin inauspiciously by arriving horribly late and drunk - at which point the servants have ceased to wait and give a poor first impression. On his first night, Lord Guy drunkenly sees a beautiful woman in her home with the door wide open and approaches her upon which she promptly kicks him down the stairs. Enter our heroine - Miss ...more
Lia
Dec 19, 2015 Lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cari, cari domestici! Questa nobiltà così superba, e quasi sempre gaudente e noncurante, si “abbassa” ancora con M.C. Beaton a cercar aiuto alla servitù, persino oltre certi limiti; e il bizzarro maggiordomo Rainbird, il cuoco Angus MacGregor, la governante della nobile dimora Mrs Middleton, la mora Jenny e la bionda cameriera Alice, Joseph il valletto, la sguattera di cucina Lizzie e Dave, hanno sicuramente cura di far emergere ai piani alti sensibilità, innegabile laboriosità, e qualcosa ...more
Mo
Apr 11, 2013 Mo added it
Shelves: brit-lit, regency
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Leslie
Jul 28, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, ku
This is the fourth book in the House for a Season series. For the most part these are stand alone

Again the house at 67 Clarges Street is let. Rainbird and the rest of staff have had a warm, tasty winter and are hopeful that this year will swell their coffers. Their tenant is Lord Guy Carlton, returning from the war in France, accompanied by a friend and a valet / manservant Manuel. He is planning on a season of debauchery but quickly falls in love with Miss Esther Jones. A very wealthy, very pr
Damaskcat
Mar 09, 2013 Damaskcat rated it really liked it
Lord Guy Carlton rents 67 Clarges Street in Mayfair. He has just returned from the war against Napoleon and wants a season of wine women and song. He has no intention of marrying – or he hasn’t until he meets the beautiful and supremely wealthy, Miss Esther Jones.

The servants at the Clarges Street house think they’d be ideally suited and their track record at matchmaking is pretty good. I enjoyed this fast paced romantic romp with its disastrous social situations caused by Esther’s lack of know
Helene Harrison
Review - One of the better House for the Season books. This one focused less on the debutantes and more on the side of the male rake. It was an interesting read, although I do wish more had been made of the war. I did find this one a bit unbelievable in that Guy Carlton could be reformed so easily from rake to husband. I wish more had been made of Esther's relationship with her brother and sister.

Genre? - Historical / Romance

Characters? - Guy Carlton / Tommy Roger / John Rainbird / Esther Jones
Tasneem
May 14, 2015 Tasneem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I adore MC Beaton. She is funny, with a really dry sense of wit. She has a sharp and keen eye for detail too which makes her people truly three dimensional. They have their faults, and yet, their kind and good in a haphazard kind of way.
The servants in this series are fantastic. The butler Rainbird is a gem. He is as shrewd as any of the lords and ladies he serves. His advice is spot on. Lord Guy and Miss Jones are both good at heart but go about being good in completely the wrong way. Rainbird
Wilde Sky
A war weary soldier returns from fighting in France, during the Regency period, and takes up residence in a Mayfair house with thoughts of wine, woman and song, but he doesn’t count on the unusual staff of the house and a chance encounter with a rich and beautiful woman.

I didn’t find this as good as some of the other books in the “A House for the Season” series. It lacked some of the gentle amusing charm, but was still an entertaining read.
Jaimey
Nov 26, 2010 Jaimey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~Fourth installment in the House for the Season series~ 4.2 stars

Quite typical "rake and reformer" storyline but with Marion Chesney's uniquely entertaining style. This is one of my favorites in this series and always makes me laugh. It is, however, a good bit more risqué than the other stories in the series and probably more so than a good number of Ms Chesney's books. I still consider it "clean" romance (as does my mother), but use your own discretion.
Gina
Jan 20, 2016 Gina rated it liked it
It took me a long time to get into this book, but I did like it pretty well. I liked seeing the main character actually be a good guy. I also liked seeing that even though the female lead in the book was rich, she was actually a pretty nice woman.
These books are such light easy reads, but I really do like them quite well, for historical romances.
Hermioneginny
Per la nuova stagione, il 67 di Clarges Street viene affittato da Lord Guy Carlton, che è in congedo dopo aver combattuto contro Napoleone. All'inizio si comporta da vero libertino. Ma poi conosce per caso miss Esther Jones, ricca e moralista ereditiera, di cui si innamora perdutamente. Riusciranno i domestici ad aiutarli ad essere felici?

Sempre simpatico!
Jody Hamilton
Oct 21, 2015 Jody Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm not a fan of Regency romances, Chesney's series, A House for A Season, is a fun read. Full of humor with many of the same characters in the set of 6 books, the servants at 67 Claridge Street are funny and loyal and consider themselves a family. I certainly will read the the last books in the series.
Maribeth
Jul 24, 2013 Maribeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are a fast read... but they are fun and entertaining... I may read more Marion Chesney when I finish all the 'House for the Season' books. I wish she was funnier (better w/the witty dialogue) , and actually I wish the characters had more to offer... or that the stories were more original...
um what was my point? LOL
They aren't too bad?
Lynne Tull
Apr 06, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Sara
Nov 12, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun zany Regency read! The rake turns out to be quite delightful, with a touch of PTSD from his stint in the Napoleonic wars...and our heroine is definitely Different!
Read this in one evening.
Ffiamma
Sep 18, 2015 Ffiamma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donne, uk, ebook
i libri della serie dedicata al 67 di clarges street e ai suoi abitanti, nella loro deliziosa leggerezza, sono sempre un intermezzo piacevole e le descrizioni della vita londinese danno quel tocco in più. spassoso.
Brigitte
Oct 26, 2013 Brigitte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth in the series and for now he most amusing. Gentle humour, adventurous spirit and a hero on the verge to be reformed! From rake to husband, form stern to passionate lady. brilliant as usual.
Jeannette
Zimma
Jan 30, 2016 Zimma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord Guy, back from the front, considered a rake is reformed when he sees Miss Jones, serious, orphaned , (caring for her sibs), rich, naive, principled
Roxane
May 15, 2016 Roxane rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book in the series and it's the best one yet. If you like Regency romance this is a great series. Two more books to go can't wait!
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • My Dear Duchess (Regency Royal, #6) (Dukes & Desires, #5)
  • Talk of the Town
  • Libby's London Merchant (Nesbitt, #1)
  • Polly (Edwardian Candlelight, #1) (Regency Love, #5)
  • A Radical Arrangement
  • The Wooing of Miss Masters
  • The Book of True Desires
  • An Angel for the Earl
  • Miss Lacey's Last Fling
  • Lord St. Claire's Angel (Lords and Ladies, #1)
  • The Lord and the Gypsy (Sanguinet Saga, #3)
  • The Counterfeit Husband
  • Rules for a Lady
  • The Lily Brand
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

A House for the Season (6 books)
  • Miser of Mayfair (A House For The Season, #1)
  • Plain Jane (A House for the Season, #2)
  • The Wicked Godmother (A House for the Season, #3)
  • The Adventuress (A House for the Season, #5)
  • Rainbird's Revenge (A House for the Season, #6)