Start by marking “Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)

Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries #4)

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  1,171 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Lady Rose Summer is a wayward Edwardian debutante. Her engagement to private detective Captain Harry Cathcart is only to stop her parents shipping her to India for a husband. But curvy seductive French Dolores Duval hires Harry and is everywhere at his side. Rose threatens Dolores, and next day is found over her dead body. Can Harry and Scotland Yard Supt. Kerridge clear R ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 244 pages
Published May 29th 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Our Lady of Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Lady of Pain

Nikki
This is no worse (or better) than the other books in the series, really. It manages to keep up a ridiculous will-they-won’t-they about both main couples, and the same string of coincidences, the same issue where the supposedly smart main characters make silly mistakes. Daisy’s storyline is more interesting than Rose’s, really, but in the latter half of the book I was just rooooolling my eyes at the manufactured drama.

This isn’t a good series. It’s fluff, fine if you like this sort of thing and o
Sharon
May 16, 2013 Sharon rated it did not like it
So badly written, such silly characters doing such stupid things. I finished it because I had hope but I won't be reading any more from this author.
Donna
This final book in the series features a role reversal, because it's Harry Cathcart whose thoughtless actions cause a social scandal when he's seen spending time with his latest client, an infamous courtesan. Since everyone is supposed to believe that their engagement is real, Lady Rose is a likely suspect when she's found over the woman's dead body.

This book is a bit of a mess. On the plus side, it isn't full of those goofy accidents that the earlier ones used to quickly resolve aspects of the
danielle
Nov 30, 2008 danielle rated it it was ok
These books are not very good, but a quick mystery read.
Janis Hill
Jan 10, 2015 Janis Hill rated it it was ok
This is the second time I've read this book, as well as the series it is the final part of. And as much as I love MC Beaton's work I do have a problem with this book. It is the usual fun, easy read she is renowned for and the light Edwardian setting was its usual delight of descriptive fashion and fads. However the editing of this book really let it down.

It comes across as if it was written with gaps in between where the author possibly went off to work on other projects and then came back to it
Kate
Dec 15, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries, edwardian
After finishing this book, I can't think what made me continue to read this series. Everything's too short (like this is the outline for a real book?), and the characters are all irritating, except maybe Sup't Kerridge who didn't appear as much as usual. So how is it I still wanted to know what happened next? On the up side, I can't think of any other ways Chesney can manage to keep apart the hero and heroine, and the series must have wrapped up here. Like Number One Ladies Detective Agency with ...more
Fred Fisher
Feb 18, 2015 Fred Fisher rated it did not like it
This is my first and last book written by M C Beaton. I found it formulaic and quick oddly episodic. This was little more than an outline of a book. Considering the output by this author, under many pseudonyms, I should not be surprised. It was like each chapter was a list. First this happened, then this, then this, etc. Fortunately, it is short. There is no detail, no emotion, no feeling. I suggest everyone read other authors.
Sue Smith
Oct 11, 2016 Sue Smith rated it it was ok
Well, thank God that's done and happily, there are no more books to this series. They weren't completely bad, but essentially nothing happened differently from one book to the next except how I felt about the main characters (which involved a lot of eye rolling and the strong desire to slap Rose upside the head).

Anyways, they were a light diversion and it was what I needed at the time. Just glad to shut the cover on them and carry on to something a wee bit meatier.
Stef Rozitis
I had to read something starting with "O" and this is what my local library had. I decided not to be prejudiced by my dislike of Agatha Raisin and give MC Beaton another go. The best thing about this book in all honesty was that is was brief. That, in the circumstances was a merciful thing.

I will not discuss everything I disliked about the actual plot and characters because there is far too much I could say on that topic, and more importantly because the quality of writing does not warrant that
Nancy
Oct 04, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok
After swearing that I would never read another book in this series, what do I do but pick up the next and final book of the series and midway through wonder what was I thinking.

The farce of Lady Rose Summer and Captain Harry Cathcart’s engagement is continuing, but there just might be a crack in the armor when Lady Rose realizes that another man that she had suddenly taken an interest in is weak and if there is any more danger heading her way, she will need a stronger man – someone like Cathcart
Helen
It is really difficult to write in another period's formulas and not stumble. It is also difficult to stay within the probabilities of another period. Edwardian should be fairly easy but isn't. You couldn't be a lady just by dressing and acting like one and Becket would never in a million years be a gentleman. It wouldn't matter what Daisy had been, she married into the servant class and that's where she would be. It's the reason why girls had to be careful about who they married. Your title was ...more
Bettie☯

Read by Davina Porter. 6 hours 32 mins

Description: Proper Edwardians Rose Summer and Capt. Harry Cathcart must contend with scandal and murder in their amusing fourth, and last, adventure from British author M.C. Beaton. When Harry is seen about London squiring Dolores Duval, a woman of ill-repute, Rose's father calls off his daughter's engagement to Harry and prepares once again to send Rose and her companion, Daisy, to India. Enraged, Rose confronts Duval and ends up threatening her—in a most
Allison
Jan Western
Mar 27, 2016 Jan Western rated it did not like it
M.C. Beaton/Marion Chesney's 'Agatha Raisen' books are are highly appraised and this led me to reading her Georgian comedic series of books. When I found all four in the Edwardian series I expected the same quality reads. Sadly I was very disappointed. The final book in the series 'Our Lady of Pain' is rather dire, written as if fitted in between other commitments. The story did not flow or pull you in and the main characters of Rose and Harry needed their heads banging together as both were so ...more
Anne
Dec 27, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it
The last of a four book series my Marion Chesney (M.C. Beaton) set in Edwardian times featuring Lady Rose Summer and Capt Harry Cathcart, a gentleman reduced in circumstances who is able to "fix" things for other nobility so as not to cause embarrassment. Rose is a trial for her parents so they send she and her companion, Daisy, to an Anglican concent and they run off to Egypt for vacation. Harry manages to convince a lady of his acqaintance to get them out and take them to Paris, but someone is ...more
Gerry
Sep 19, 2010 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Rose Summer gets mixed up with Captain Harry Cathcart in his detective agency and together with her friend Daisy Levine finds herself in all sorts of intrique.

Murders take place, the two ladies get locked up and amongst it all romance blossoms. But both ladies wonder if it is right for them.

Eventually everything works out fine and everyone lives happily ever after ... until the next case!

An enjoyable read but not in the same class as the author's Agatha Raisin series.
George
Jan 29, 2008 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth in the Captain Harry Cathcart-Lady Rose Summer Edwardian mystery series. The on again off again romantic relationship between the two continues in this novel as Rose again finds herself the target of a murderer as she and Harry work to find the murderer. The mystery itself is good while the on again off again relationship between Rose and Harry distracts a bit from the mystery itself.
James
I saw this book on a library display stand and picked it up as I have enjoyed M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. However I didn't really enjoy it - the writing was quite stilted in parts and even though it's fiction, there are too many improbabilities.

Selah
Nov 25, 2015 Selah rated it it was ok
Meh. Very disappointing ending to the series. The mystery was convoluted (in an uninteresting way), Harry and Rose were even more on again / off again than usual, and Daisy and Becket both suffered from character assassination. :/
Sophie
Dec 17, 2013 Sophie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the characters in this series, but this final installment was pretty fragmented. I liked the way it ended, though, and will probably check out more of Marion Chesney.
Alex Pearson
Nov 17, 2009 Alex Pearson rated it really liked it
I lvoe her books, they are a always a fun read
Barbara Rogers
This is the unsatisfying fourth and I assume final book in the series. I had hoped for for a good wrap-up and happy ending for the characters, but that didn't happen. We got a sort-of wrap-up with Rose showing up and asking Harry to marry her -- but -- they've been engaged and un-engaged throughout the whole series, so -- to me it wasn't a real ending.

The mystery part of the book as okay, but for a hero and heroine who are supposed to be exceptionally smart, they do some really, really, really d
Suzanne
Oct 14, 2016 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Tedious. I read the first chapter and skipped to the last one, and was glad that I did. The whole tired, boring Rose and Harry romance, with both of them acting like insecure teenagers. I left high school a long time ago. And what do I discover in the final chapter? (view spoiler) ...more
Lisa Richards
Nov 24, 2016 Lisa Richards rated it it was amazing
Great way to escape the day. Very light, very easy and quick read.
Janet
Oct 13, 2016 Janet rated it it was ok
Loved that the narrator was the wonderful Davinia Porter.
Nov 06, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
I've decided for this short series of books to review them as a whole. I read them one after the other in about a 24 hour time period, so they all sort of seem like one really long book to me, and I am not at all sure that I could review them separately.

My plan is to copy and past the review to each of the four books, so I will post most all of the review under a spoiler cut, because I am sure that I will mention things that would be considered spoilerish.

My overall rating for the series is 3.75
QNPoohBear
Lady Rose Summer's engagement to Captain Harry Cathcart is back on, but as usual he's too busy working to squire Rose around to various social events. His latest client is a French high-flyer, Dolores Duval, who has been receiving threatening notes. Harry likes Dolores' easy charm but Rose is jealous. How dare her fiance consort with that tart?! Their engagement is one of convenience but still... he's making Rose a laughingstock. Rose has the audacity to confront Dolores and threaten her in fron ...more
Sharon
Sep 14, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it
Another murder--this time a high society prostitute and more of Lady Rose Summer's ill-advised escapades. Once again, Harry to the rescue. Lots of descriptions of the women's clothes, the life style of the wealthy.
Roberta
Actually, 2.5 stars and then only as the concluding book of the series. All four skinny books in this series add up to only one decent mystery/romance.

Harry has agreed to a fake engagement with Lady Rose to keep her parents from sending her to India to look for a husband. But Harry doesn't seem to have either the time or inclination to hold up his end of the bargain. Rose apparently keeps forgetting that their engagement is a farce and acts like a spoiled 12-year-old when she discovers that Harr
Cherie Bush
Sep 13, 2016 Cherie Bush rated it it was ok
Silly, light-hearted and fun. #4 in the series so perhaps if I had started with #1 (like I should have) I would have enjoyed it more.
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • 風のアルビオン (Zero No Tsukaima, #2)
  • The Tale of Applebeck Orchard (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

Edwardian Murder Mysteries (4 books)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)