Start by marking “Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books” as Want to Read:
Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books

Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books

In a tiny log cabin a boy listened with delight to the storytelling of his ma and pa. He traced letters in sand, snow, and dust. He borrowed books and walked miles to bring them back.When he grew up, he became the sixteenth president of the United States. His name was Abraham Lincoln.

He loved books.

They changed his life.

he changed the world.
Published January 1st 2006 by Turtleback Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Abe Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe Lincoln

Kristine
May 07, 2015 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very informative book on Abr Lincoln's childhood. I think kids will pick up a love for reading just from reading about his love for books.
Kat
Dec 08, 2016 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone is familiar with Abraham Lincoln the president, but not everyone is familiar with who Abe Lincoln was as a young boy. One of the tales of Abe Lincoln was his love of reading, and how he loved to read on his own and read to his family, as well as always writing on anything he could. One of the most famous of stories described in this book is when he would borrow books from library and he always brought them back even though he had to walk miles to return them.

I love this take on a biogra
Torey
Nov 20, 2016 Torey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my second bibliography i chose Abe Lincoln, The Boy Who Loves Books. This book is set when Abe was growing up in a tiny log cabin and how always listened to the storytelling of his beloved ma and pa. He traced letters in snow, dust, and sand. He borrowed books and walked miles to bring them back to the library. He carried as much as he could hold. Later in his life, when he grew up, he became the sixteenth president of the United States. He still loved books and he swears they changed his li ...more
Tori Schyberg
Nov 29, 2016 Tori Schyberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read and would be a nice history lesson for children too. This book is a non fiction biography about Abe Lincoln and his love for books. I would use this book to show my class how much reading could be enjoyed as a hobby. The book not only talked about Abe's love for books but it gave a quick history lesson for students on his early childhood background.

The illustrations used in the text are paintings and they really add to the story. The text could be fully understood wit
Alexandra Duca
Title: Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
Author: Kay Winters
Illustrator: Nancy Carpenter
Genre: Biography K-2
Theme(s): American History, Education, Following Dreams
Opening line/sentence: “In the wilds of Kentucky, 1809, a boy was born.
Brief Book Summary: Abe Lincoln, is the story of a young boy who was born in Kentucky and grew up with a intense love and desire to learn. This biography tells readers all about the life of Abe Lincoln who became America’s 16th president. “The story of how a boy
Kristina Taylor
This picture book is also a biography of Abraham Lincoln. It tells the story of his life from the time he was born until he became president. The biography tells how his family moved and is mother dying. The story also tells how he got involved in politics and how that lead to him becoming president. The pictures in this book are colorful and full of detail.

This book is a great way to introduce children to a biography. This book is easy to understand and teaches in such a great way that kids wil
Xiaoting
Apr 21, 2015 Xiaoting rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abe Lincoln: The boy who loved books
This book tells us that a boy who loved books. This boy is Abraham Lincoln. We all know that his 16th president of America. This book shows us his childhood. This is interesting.
This book from Abe Lincoln from his birth to show those picture. From this book, I know that Abe Lincoln has a harsh childhood. He lived in a tiny log cabin. However, he has a warm family. His mother shared the Bible stories she knew by heart. His father spun yarns, told jokes,and made
Maria Reyes
Summary

Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books is a picture book who talks about Abraham Lincoln and gives us information about his life. The book starts off from the time he was born until he grew up and ran to become President of the United States. This informational/biography picture book would be a good childrens book because it informs kids about his mother passing, his familyand how he came about being involved in politics and running for president.

Response

I gave this book 5 star rating, sim
Daniel Ramos
Nov 06, 2016 Daniel Ramos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As adults, we may know a lot of Abraham Lincoln's history from the presidency on, but this book talks about Abe Lincoln as a child who was learning and growing and how he became to be a great man and President that we know. As the story continues, it talks about his childhood, parental influences and values that he was able to adopt by reading books. This is considered a biographical piece as it tells his history with books from another's perspective, but makes it playful for all readers to enjo ...more
May 09, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personal reaction: I would have loved this book as a child! I was always fascinated with Abraham Lincoln so this is a biography I definitely would have picked to read. My favorite part of the book was that they called Abe "the boy who loved books!" I think it really encourages children to read!

Use in the classroom:

1. Read aloud for curricular connection: This book would be a great read aloud. It's a biography, but it almost reads like fiction, so kids would really enjoy it. This is another book
Casey Brock
Reading level: 1-3
Carpenter uses an interesting type of brush strokes while creating the pictures. They appear to be made on canvas because of the little white spaces between the brush strokes. The faces are rather fuzzy but they still show emotion. Winter’s uses small text throughout the story that seems to blend into the pictures at some parts. The illustrations seem to overpower a lot of the text and much of the story can be told through the pictures. The sentence length is fairly short thro
Caroline Downer
This biographical picture book of Abraham Lincoln was a great read! I really think this book is a great fit for children! It incorporates history, by giving facts about Abraham Lincoln's life, with entertainment, by providing very excellent illustrations and a fun story! Also, the love of books that Abraham Lincoln had is a huge part of this book itself. I think that is great because as children are reading about Abraham Lincoln, they are understanding that this famous man had a love for books a ...more
Andy Kavanaugh
Aug 24, 2008 Andy Kavanaugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book is Abe Lincoln: The boy who loved books. The author is Kay Winters and was illustrated by Nancy Carpenter. The book is published by Simon and Schuster. The copyright date is 2003.
This book is about Abe Lincoln, obviously. The book talks about his life as a boy and teen and mentions his deep passion for books. He reads all of his mother's books. The book goes on to mention some of his accomplishments such as being a lawyer and then becoming interested in politics. The fin
Aaron Estes
Nov 06, 2016 Aaron Estes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books, by Kay Winters, is a biography that takes a more narrative approach to the story of Abraham Lincoln- slightly tweaking the history of the events without altering the truths of the matter. This book follows the life of Lincoln, from birth until his eventual inauguration as president. However, this book chose to focus on how his interest in reading and education helped shape him into the man he would become, and heavily emphasized his self-discipline and deter ...more
Hannah Moles
May 01, 2016 Hannah Moles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, we learn about Abraham Lincoln’s love for reading and books. He loved them so much he would walk for miles to get them, just to return them later! Throughout his life he would trace letters in the sand or snow, he just loved reading and writing as a whole. As we all know, he grew up to be our 16th president of the United States. Some say the reason he was able to accomplish all of this is because of how much he loved to read. As it says in the overall book review, “He loved books. ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Abraham Lincoln loved books. He loved to learn. He loved writing. He also worked hard and appreciated life. He was an honest and great man. He was born in a log cabin in the woods and grew up to be the 16th President of the United States because he studied, worked hard and read BOOKS! This book follows Abraham Lincoln’s life from when he was an infant to 16th president and tells the reader how important reading and books were to his life.

Why I liked this book – First of all, I LOVE to read about
Betsy Owens
This is a cool way to present historical fiction. As a biography of Abe Lincoln, the author uses picturesque language. Since it is written in verse, it really covers the highlights of his life or an overview.

It begins…

In the wilds of Kentucky, 1809,
a boy was born.
His mother called him Abraham,
his last name Lincoln.
His bed was made from corn husks,
his covers, skins from bears.
His cabin built with logs
from towering trees.

As I read this book, I imagined trying to read it aloud to a class. I felt as
Ellon
Feb 25, 2012 Ellon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my first grade class for Presidents' Day. I like the overall message (that education will help you achieve amazing things) but I felt like a lot of it was way over the comprehension level of children that enjoy picture books. I really could have done without the setting descriptions and would have loved if more emphasis was place on events in Lincoln's life. That being said, I think I will still read it next year since so many of my students responded well to the great centra ...more
Kayla Hepler
The very first thing I noticed about the book were the oil paintings. They were beautiful, colorful and certainly full of life. The book is very informative but is in such a way that children would enjoy reading it. I also really loved how the story was about how much Abe loved books. It shows children how reading truly is important and how it can be fun. As a young boy, Abe didn't have a clue he would become president of the United States, but he read because he enjoyed it. I think this story w ...more
Natalie Zagara
Oct 25, 2011 Natalie Zagara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love to read about Abe Lincoln. This story is akeeper for sure. With it's vivid oil paintings and it's staightforward facts, this book will entice any Lincoln-lover. Through Lincoln's life was mostly in the wilderness, Lincoln prefers books to pioneer life. He uses his reading skills to further his schooling and intelligence and goes on to becomes the 16th President of the United States. With a mix of intersesting bordered paictures and full-bled pictures, the illustarator captivates ...more
Jillian Thomas
Apr 19, 2016 Jillian Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great option for children to read a biography on a historical figure. There were great facts included, and the illustrations were very well done. I was thoroughly impressed with the oil paintings throughout the book. I enjoyed that the book really focused on his childhood and adolescence to get a sense of who he really is as a person. Overall I think it was very well done and that children would really enjoy reading this book in or out of the classroom.
Joe
Mar 25, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This a good book for younger kids who are learning about our former president Lincoln. It's a easy read with fun pictures so that kids can follow along with someone who many be reading it to them. It talks about the life of Abraham Lincoln and how he was raise and how he became the president. It's not in depth about how he really became president or what happened afterwards, but it focuses on his pre-presidential life.
Patricia
I found this to be an excellent resource that I could use in my classroom. It is geared to K-3 students but could be used with third or fourth. It tells the life of Abe Lincoln from birth on with simple text and appealing illustrations. Abe's love of books and thirst for knowledge are apparent on most of the pages and the author uses little incidents to convey this theme. I would like to get this book for my classroom library.
Breanna Zarate
May 15, 2012 Breanna Zarate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child, I always loved learning about Abe Lincoln. This biography was definitely no different. This biography tells the story of Abe Lincoln from the perspective of Abe Lincoln as a child. As the title says, it is about a boy who loved books. I would definitely recommend this biography to all teachers. It is definitely a must have!
Children's Literature Project
DRA:16-18

This book tells the life story of Abraham Lincoln. It talks about his childhood of reading many books and helping his parents with chores at the farm. The story also explores how Abe's ability to think for himself made him disagree with slavery practices of his time, and strive to be a notable sixteenth president.
Karen
Jul 18, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have adored Abraham Lincoln since I first studied Law. This book only reinforces my love.

This book provides an excellent introduction to Lincoln for the younger set -- the elementary set. Lincoln's biographical story is deftly told in verse. The verse is accompanied by lovely, poignant illustrations. The two-page spread of winter scene and the cross nearly broke my heart.

Aug 25, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
This is a really cute book. This story goes through the life of Abraham Lincoln. The story starts at his birth, goes through his education as a child, and then how he became President. This story tries to relate some of Lincoln's chores to students today so that students can relate to him somehow. Overall, this is a very informative book to learn about Mr. Lincoln.
Relyn
Apr 15, 2010 Relyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody, really
Recommended to Relyn by: love the work of the illustrator
Shelves: lawsonland
I got this book from the library because I really like the illustrator's work. But, I found this biography to be well, a dud. The author was trying so hard to make Abe's life story into some sort of a weird poem that she made the language stilted and difficult to read. Plus, my class was bored by it. Never a good sign.
Jackie
This picture book biography about Abrahma Lincoln shows how he loved words and books and used that love to educate himself. The law of the land was his study as he got older and he was able to speak eloquently.

Used for "Who is Our President and What Does He Do All Day?" storytime-February, 2010.

Marilyn
Oct 07, 2011 Marilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I wished it were more specific. I like the facts more than the general sweeping directions of a person's life. It hurts me to give a Lincoln book 2 stars, but it doesn't compare to the others I've read.
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln (Big Words)
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • Biblioburro: A True Story from Colombia
  • Richard Wright and the Library Card
  • Those Rebels, John and Tom
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Stand Tall, Abe Lincoln
  • Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
  • Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Gandhi