Start by marking “Lost in America” as Want to Read:
Lost in America

Lost in America (Nicole Nieman #2)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"'You need to learn to smoke,' Anne-Marie said firmly. 'It makes you look sophisticated. Humphrey Bogart smokes, Lauren Bacall smokes, and all the famous artists, like Picasso -- at least I think he smokes. We have to make a real American girl out of you.'"

Seventeen-year-old Nicole wants nothing more than to be a "real American girl," but the memories of her family, taken
Published April 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Lost in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in America

Suebee
Sep 13, 2008 Suebee rated it did not like it
French schoolgirl Nicole Nieman loses her mother, father, and younger sister to Auschwitz during WWII (she escapes capture by not being home the night the Gestapo raid her home). At 17, she moves to Cousin Jake's house in New York City, where she struggles to get along with Jake's wife Harriet and Jake's daughter Evvie. She struggles with being an "American girl," but finds her friends among some French girls, also survivors of the war. She and her friend Simone move into an apartment together a ...more
Xiao Yan
May 29, 2008 Xiao Yan rated it liked it
Shelves: school-year-07
Lost in a America mainly talks about the life and growing experiences of Nicole Nieman during World war 2. From her home she travels to America after the devastating death of her family ,to seek a better life. But when she arrives at her relatives' house, she feels unwanted and unwelcome. AS she continues to live in America, she faces many problems but she is able to over come it. Throughout the whole book, Nicole learns how to be a more independent and mature person. I thought that this book wa ...more
Amanda
Fun, comical, a bit dramatic, a light read.
Jessie
Apr 03, 2012 Jessie added it
I wonder where the editor hid the last third of this book. It was REALLY good, and just as I was starting to love the main character, it ends. WHAMMO. It could have used at least five to ten more chapters. Nothing was really tied up at the end, and the biggest bandage in Lost was the fact that only half of the book takes place in America. They should have named it something different.

All in all, the style was nice, the characters interesting, but not a very satisfying read. AND COUSIN HARRIET
Maggie
Mar 11, 2016 Maggie rated it really liked it
I won't recap this story, I'll just give my opinion. I really liked this book, and I was surprised at the end to read that Marilyn Sachs also wrote A Pocket Full Of Seeds, which I didn't really like. (I can't remember why.) I thought this story was well written, interesting and thoughtful. I liked that the main character, Nicole, was always respectful to others and put herself in their shoes. It served Nicole well in her life and made this story worth telling.
Amanda R
Apr 27, 2008 Amanda R rated it liked it
Story of a young Jewish French girl who came to America following the war to live with some relatives - showed her adapting to life in America, trying to find her home there. I thought this was kind of fluffy, not bad. Actually would rate about a 3.5 or 3.75. Didn't really feel all that much of a connection to Nicole even though she's based on a real person in the author's life.
Olivia H
Nov 22, 2013 Olivia H rated it really liked it
Lost in America is about this girl named Nicole in Germany. She is a Jew. One day she comes home from school for lunch and find that her family is gone. Taken by the Nazi. So after about a year, she gets her chance to go to America with her fathers cousin. When, she gets there the title of the book really comes out. I am glad I read Lost in America again.
Camryn Keppler
Jan 22, 2016 Camryn Keppler rated it liked it
This book was okay. I liked learning about the time period and how immigrant teenagers adapted to American living. It was a good book but it didn't have many complex terms or in other words it wasn't a challenging book to read whatsoever. However i did enjoy the story and the characters.
Victoria Odessky
Sep 02, 2011 Victoria Odessky rated it it was amazing
This novel is about a girl named Nicole who comes to NYC from France after WWII. She lost all of he family because they were killed by the Nazis simply for being Jewish. She struggles to find a job and to adapt to living in the US where everything is unfamiliar to her.
Jess
Jun 26, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
This book was really good. Sad, but a different point of view of post WWII in America with a slightly older main character than most.
Jessica
May 14, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book has a really good story line although it does not have much of a plot. I was entertained throughout the whole book!
Jane
Feb 01, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
The story of a young French girl whose family was all killed by the Nazis first year in New York.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
French survivors of the Holocaust adjust to a new life in New York City.
Lacey
Nov 20, 2009 Lacey is currently reading it
This is an awsome book but if you cry dont blame me
Sara Paulsen
Oct 10, 2010 Sara Paulsen rated it really liked it
it was fine end got a little boring
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Casey Salerno
Casey Salerno rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Carrisa Christensen
Carrisa Christensen rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Aubrey Clifton
Aubrey Clifton marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Dee
Dee added it
Apr 11, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Bridgette Marroquin
Bridgette Marroquin rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Michelle Henry
Michelle Henry rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Thao
Thao added it
Sep 29, 2015
Kristin Mcelderry
Kristin Mcelderry rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015