Start by marking “The Surgeon's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Surgeon's Wife

The Surgeon's Wife

In the summer of 1985, in his exclusive Upper East Side Manhattan apartment, Robert Bierenbaum, a prominent surgeon and certified genius, strangled his wife Gail to death. He then drove her body to an airstrip in Caldwell, N.J., and dumped it into the Atlantic Ocean from a single-engine private plane. The next day he reported her missing.

Gail's parents had been thrilled to
Published September 17th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surgeon's Wife

PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Feb 18, 2013 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•* rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I really have to give it up to Mr. Crowley, the author of this book. He did a spectacular job in portraying both sides of this case. I must say that after reading this and all of the evidence, I am not so sure that Dr. Bierenbaum should be sitting in that jail cell right now.

Gail clearly had her own issues when she disappeared & although I am not a supporter of reading all of the victim's dirty laundry in the true crime books I often read, in this case I think it was extremely important for
Tree
Dec 29, 2008 Tree rated it really liked it
Amber
Aug 02, 2011 Amber rated it it was ok
This books was mediocre. It wasn't too badly written but there were parts that were a bit redundant and though it's a sad story and the guy is a psychopath it was hard to get into it or to feel a connection to the victim as she was a conniving manipulator who was really just using her husband anyways. It's sad to think that not only did she lose her life, she didn't even get a chance to experience real love and instead wasted her time with an abusive man that she didn't even love anyways.
Karen & Gerard
The Surgeon’s Wife by Kieran Crowley is the true story of Gail and Robert Bierenbaum. Once married, their marriage went south in a hurry. One day Gail is no longer around. Did Robert kill her? I got into this book fast. The trial part of the book was fascinating. I know this book is like ten years old, but it’s very good!
Janice
Jul 12, 2013 Janice rated it really liked it
Experienced writer, Kieran Crowley, does a skillful job retelling the story of how a young, impulsive doctor's crime, committed against his wife, comes back to haunt him 14 years later. I gave this book 4 stars and recommend it as a choice true crime read.
MrsBlackmore
Jul 30, 2014 MrsBlackmore rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
Challenge 14. A nonfiction book. This book was ok. Interesting story but it only needed half of the information. A lot of it was really tedious or just unnecessary. It would have made an excellent short story or even half of this long book.
Gail
Sep 07, 2009 Gail rated it liked it
A truw crime. Not the kind of book I would normally read, but it was pretty interesting. It started kind of slow, and I almost gave up reading it, but the second half picked up and I really got into it.
Janet
Aug 07, 2008 Janet rated it it was ok
This was an interesting story, but I think the author tried to write in Anne Rule's style and he just didn't succeed. The book is very long and the narrative is rambling with many repeats of information that had already been given. There are better true crime books out there, so avoid this one.
Mike
Aug 22, 2009 Mike rated it it was ok
Not too great, got bored at chapter 42
LoquaciousHeiress AKA Empress of Verbosity :P
IT DRAGGED. ON And ON about minutiae I am not even sure why it was in there. Not a favourite, but will read Kieran Crowley again!
SenoraG
Nov 22, 2010 SenoraG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review Here
Lorreen
Mar 12, 2016 Lorreen rated it really liked it
Mostly interesting to me in that I was looking into this true story.
Rita
Jan 17, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing
This book was a riveting read. I couldn't put it down and the author was top-notch and spot-on with the research, details and about the families. A must
read.
Justine Fjellanger
Justine Fjellanger rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2017
James E Barker Sr
James E Barker Sr rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Maltaise
Maltaise rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2011
Forsha Megon
Forsha Megon rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2014
Rea
Rea rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Sarah Sandbak
Sarah Sandbak rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2008
Anne Grace Dungan
Anne Grace Dungan rated it really liked it
May 23, 2012
Elizabeth Cárdenas
Elizabeth Cárdenas rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2016
Merit Clark
Merit Clark rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2009
Mary E Russell
Mary E Russell rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Georgia
Georgia rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2014
Love2Read12
Love2Read12 rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2017
Kim Luper
Kim Luper rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Jeffrey L Harding
Jeffrey L Harding rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Laura rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
KIERAN CROWLEY is a New York Times bestselling crime author and investigative reporter who has received communication from an actual serial killer and deciphered his secret code. Crowley has covered hundreds of trials and thousands of murders and recovered evidence missed by police at numerous crime scenes, some of which helped bring killers to Justice. He lives in New York with his family.
More about Kieran Crowley...