Start by marking “Somebody's Darling” as Want to Read:
Somebody's Darling

Somebody's Darling

Pulitzer Prize-winning Larry McMurtry writes like no one else about the American frontier. In Somebody's Darling, the frontier lies farther west, in Hollywood, where his subject is the strange world of the movies -- those who make them and those who play in them.
Somebody's Darling is the story of the fortunes of Jill Peel. Jill is brilliant, talented, and disciplined, and
Published May 7th 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody's Darling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody's Darling

Ryan Curell
Jan 06, 2012 Ryan Curell rated it it was ok
This is never adequately wedded to any single theme or emotion, making its long departures from the story to describe love, reality and the absurdity of both maddening. The characters are inconsistent and unsympathetic; its main three - Joe Percy, Owen Oarson and Jill Peel - are mostly unlikeable (Owen is flat-out disgusting), their adventures are uninteresting, and it's hard to care for any of them.

McMurtry prefaced this edition saying he allowed too much time to pass between the original appea
Patience Blythe
Apr 09, 2012 Patience Blythe rated it liked it
Larry McMurtry has been my favorite contemporary author for several years now. My friend Chuck gave me "All My Friends are Going to Be Strangers" about three years ago, and since then, I have read many, many of his books. My favorites are not the westerns, but the flight of books around "All My Friends....". "Someboy's Darling" is one of these, centering around some characters that were solely supporting characters in some of his other books.

This book takes place in Los Angeles, for the most par
Becca
Aug 08, 2011 Becca rated it liked it
Three and a half. Good, but a little dated. I'm a sucker for Hollywood tales and had never read McMurtry before. I'm not sure if this was the best introduction to his work, but it certainly peaked my interest. I think I'll try Lonesome Dove next.
Trey
Feb 22, 2016 Trey rated it did not like it
The only McMurtry book I have truly disliked. Didn't like the characters. Didn't like the story. Finished it because it's right in the middle of a long series of books that I've enjoyed. The rest of the series is set (more or less) in Texas, mostly Houston. This one is in Hollywood, including a couple of character from (or with ties to) Houston. It certainly seems like this was McMurtry's way of railing against what he didn't like about his experiences with Hollywood and the making of The Last P ...more
Paul Parsons
Apr 28, 2012 Paul Parsons rated it liked it
Written in 1978, this is McMurtry's follow-up to Terms of Endearment. Through it, the reader experiences the seemy underbelly of Hollywood as the author must have been experiencing at the time. Told in first person through the eyes of two different Hollywood characters (interesting), the tale wanders through the pointlessness of lives spent looking in the mirror, searching unsuccessfully for relationship happiness. Not an uplifting read, nor was it meant to be.
kasia
Dec 04, 2007 kasia rated it liked it
It's sort of guilty pleasure reading. The plot isn't all that amazing, the introspections aren't that deep, but McMurtry's got a great writing style and he makes some nice observations about human nature. Still though, his other books are better, I think. This one is a bit too Hollywood.
Jon
Jul 05, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
An early McMurtry classic when he was in his cycle of characters originating with Moving On and All My Friends Are Going to be Strangers. Told from three different viewpoints at shifting points in time, still engaging, a little too long and with one really, rally unsympathetic main character.
Rebekkila
Oct 29, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Helen
Jan 04, 2013 Helen rated it did not like it
As a fan of Larry McMurtry's books, this one disappointed. I had a hard time getting into it or even caring about the characters.
Denise Hoyos
Apr 07, 2013 Denise Hoyos rated it liked it
it's larry mcmurtry. of course it's entertaining. he has a way of putting things that i enjoy. not memorable, but still good.
Paul Wilner
Dec 13, 2007 Paul Wilner rated it it was amazing
Hollywood, and heartbreak, etc.
Carol Waters
Jan 30, 2015 Carol Waters rated it liked it
This book epitomizes McMurtry's edict that one only has a certain number of books in him before he should stop writing. Boring. Great smidgens of text but the plot line is tiresome. Boring
Rosie
May 25, 2011 Rosie rated it it was amazing
loved it
Wendy
Nov 21, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok
Regardless of McMurtry's snappy humor, I much prefer his old westerns
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
too horrible to read, how can a guy write a good book like Lonesome Dove and such filthy ones? and dumb?
Deborah
May 07, 2013 Deborah rated it did not like it
Gah! this is just dreck
Robert Gimbel
Robert Gimbel rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2010
Jessie Cubijano
Jessie Cubijano rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Cohan
Cohan rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2007
Gerald Heath
Gerald Heath rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2010
Scott Parisien
Scott Parisien rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Jack Finley
Jack Finley rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2012
Janis
Janis rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2010
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2010
Reneé Porter
Reneé Porter rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
May 15, 2007
Tim Conner
Tim Conner rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2017
Had its moments. Mostly in the first third, though.
  • Schrödinger's Cat 2: The Trick Top Hat
  • The King
  • Subway Dancer and Other Stories
  • Ruin Creek
  • The Good Son
  • A Very Shitake Christmas (Shitake Mystery #1.5)
Larry McMurtry is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two collections of essays, and more than thirty screenplays.

Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was
More about Larry McMurtry...