Start by marking “Leaving Cheyenne ” as Want to Read:
Leaving Cheyenne

Leaving Cheyenne (A Southwest Landmark, No 3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,276 ratings  ·  59 reviews
From the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Lonesome Dove Larry McMurtry comes the second novel about love and loss on the great plains of Texas. From 1920’s ranching to range cowboys and WWII grief, McMurtry is the undisputed father of the Western literary epic.

Leaving Cheyenne traces the loves of three West Texas characters as they follow that sundown t
Published August 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Cheyenne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Cheyenne

Ron
Larry McMurtry grew up among ranchers and cowboys, and his familiarity with this rural world makes his early novels set in and around Thalia, Texas, genuinely alive with rich detail and believable characters. He knows this world as it's seen and understood by the people who live there, both young and old. Most revealingly (and colorfully) he knows how they really talk to each other and to themselves -- not in the stereotypical ways often ascribed to country people.

You read "Leaving Cheyenne" slo
Tim
This is a pretty good book that almost makes it into the four star category, if it weren't for a kind of niggling thought in my mind that the three main characters, though all likable, seem as if they were painted with a brush that was a little too broad. It's the story of three people, two men and a woman, and the love triangle between them. There are three sections to the novel, and each is told from the point of view of each of the three main characters. Each section is at a different point i ...more
Laurel
Larry McMurtry is one of my favourite authors. Leaving Cheyenne Leaving Cheyenne by Larry McMurtrydid not disappoint. This one of McMurtry's earlier works, before he wrote the wonderful Lonesome Dove (Part 1 of 3) by Larry McMurtryLonesome Dove, which I count among my all-time favourite novels. In fact, Gid and Johnny could be thought of as earlier, less fleshed out versions of Gus and Call. This book is so many things-a coming of age story, an unusual love triangle and romance, and a close-up look at the friendship between two very different men. Gid and Johnny share a g ...more
Jeff
_leaving cheyenne_ doesn't beg a rigorous academic analysis, and having just finished it, i'm not in a mood to provide one.

it's just a beautiful, moving novel i literally could not put down in my few non-working moments.

the characters are fully-drawn and mcmurtry inhabits equally their voices and emotions, dedicating each of the novel's three "books" to one of the central characters' perspectives.

this was my first brush with mcmurtry and i can guarantee it will not be my last; i'm told _leaving
Keri Daskam
I never guessed I would be such a fan of Larry McMurtry books. The characters are robust and charming and old Texas is a marvelous place for a plot.
Doug
Larry McMurtry is one of my two or three favorite authors. I've read everything he's written since Lonesome Dove and have now gone back to read some of his earlier work. As one might expect, he has refined his craft as he's gone along. Don't get me wrong, this book was good, but it did not have the breadth of scope of much of his later work. Actually, it is easy to see this book as a presurser to Lonesome Dove in some respects. The main male characters, Gid and Johnny can easily be seen as proto ...more
Kathy
Larry McMurtry's books are unique. I NEVER thought I'd be one to enjoy a western until I first read Lonesome Dove. That is still my favorite, but I enjoyed this more modern 'western', too. McMurtry's characters are extremely well-drawn and his dialogue addictive. I start talking like a cowboy myself with 3 pages! As far as the PLOT of Leaving Cheyenne...well.. I wish there were actually more of it. A little suspense might be good as well, but the characters and their relationships carry the book ...more
ehnonymus
this book leaves me with no desire to read lonesome dove, even though heaps of folks think it is one of the best books ever. i think it is because i do not like mcmurtry's style; what some people regard as a lack of sentimentality i think of as being emotionally disengaged. i spent most of the novel being perplexed by the main characters' motivations, rendering me completely unable to relate to them in any meaningful way. which is probably why i just didn't care about the characters, or for the ...more
Hollis
This was recommended to me by a dear 'book friend' as one of her all-time favorites. I was put off at the beginning, thinking 'oh dear - I'm not really into cowboy books', but the sweetness of the story and the characters soon won me over and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the story of three friends - two men and a woman - and how that friendship overcomes all the adversity and twists that life throws at us - love, work, and finding our inner selves.
Nikki Conley
I read this at least once a year. It may be my favorite book. Written in 3 sections, each from one of the main character's viewpoints, the story is original and heartbreaking just like life.
Carolyn Engquist
My book club enjoyed the book, but I felt depressed by the bad choices the main female character made!
Mike Harper
I guess I'm a sucker for books like this, books that take me through the characters' lives and leave me happy to have made their acquaintances. I hate it that they don't get everything they deserve, and wish it could have turned out better for them. Their losses, though, are my gain.
This one's a complicated love story - all three characters love one another, even the two men - and, I guess, a nice evocation of Texas life in the twentieth century.
I think it's in a class with Wallace Stegner's An
Mark
I am a big fan of Larry McMurtry's historical western novels. This story is much more a character study of three friends in the early 1900's and spans much of their lives. The book is divided into three parts with each of them telling a part of the story from their perspective. The book is not as exciting and full of adventure as Lonesome Dove and some of the others I have read, but the author's ability to create a real sense of living, breathing characters and setting to life remains intact.
Rob
My dad told me that Larry McMurtry has written some books that were only so-so. I have yet to find one though. This one is great. I think I don't like it quite as much as Lonesome Dove or The Last Picture Show, but that could be because I read Lonesome Dove first, and because I really am blown away by the movie version of The Last Picture Show. This one is a drama about a rancher's son, a cowhand, and a woman who loves them both; it follows them from their teenage years to old age, roughly the n ...more
John Earnhart
What a wonderful book!

This is the first novel I've read by Larry McMurtry. This is one of the few times where, upon finishing the story, I have next to nothing to gripe about. Both the story and the way it was told was great.

Something in the way McMurtry lays everything out makes you feel like you're there with the three characters, sitting on the porch with them or out working in the field.

Great book.
Chris Miller
Shoot, I needed this book. It's a great escape into the early 19th-century world of the American West. Larry McMurtry gets the dialogue just right, and it's impressive that he wrote this in the early 60s. Some of this book's content and insight into human relationships prove that times and technology may change, but emotions and character are set during childhood and last for decades.
Lynley
Josie
Ok, so, people are often like, "my, isn't it incredible that this male author can be a woman in his prose?!" Well, at least circa this, his 2nd novel, Larry McMurtry can't. Maybe he also can't be a man, not sure.

I wanted this tone--Western, heavy romance. There's a lot of nice sex as well. But the dialect/naivete/flat affect of the 1st-person narration (first by Gideon, then Molly, probably by Johnny after that though I won't get that far) make the characters seem like probably retards or maybe
Ann Grant
McMurty's books are really long, and I usually don't want to devote that much time to a western adventure story, so I listened to it on an audiotape. It's a realy good "listen" to help while away the hours when you are doing repetitive tasks like cutting fabrics or mindless strip piecing for quilts. After you get in the groove you can even do paper piecing! The story is told in McMurty's laconic style, with quite a bit of understated humor, along with starvation, nearly dying of thirst, fighting ...more
Ellen
The chores, the people, the tedium, the missed opportunities...all of these make me tired. I'm guessing it was the author's intention.
Anthony
Tale of the changing west as told through the life and love of a rancher and a cowboy and the woman that loved them both.
Robert
The intertwined lives of a trio of lovers, told more as three short stories than a single novel. A masterpiece.
Roger
Interesting story about two adolescent boys who love the same girl.
Mad Mike
Leaving Cheyenne

Or

A lifetime in the Friendzone
Gabe Redel
Cowboy story, yes sir! Loved it. Reminded me of all of my favorite cowboy and rancher stories that I can never get enough of. This is a coming of age novel, and McMurtry couldn't have written a better epic. Love triangles, chasing coyotes, and cowboying the panhandle---wow! So much fun. So much personality. So much heartbreak, tragedy, and broken pieces to pick up out of the mud after a drunken brawl. I wished I was right along side Gid and his sidekick buddy as they chased after their dreams, t ...more
Tjbrowne Browne
The characters in this book have got to be the most charitable characters ever imagined on paper. This is the third book I've read by Larry McMurtry, and as a result, his stories are starting to get a little bit predictable. "Lonesome Dove" made me cry crocodile tears. "Leaving Cheyenne" didn't even get me choked up. The female protagonist, Molly, made me furious, and the emotionless way that the male characters handled hetero relationships was akin to the way that you'd pick a new pet from the ...more
Cecilia
A western love story set in and around Archer County, Texas, Leaving Cheyenne is beautifully narrated by three members of a lifelong love triangle. It is a love story in three dimensions: romantic, plutonic and love of place. The language, characters and story ring achingly true. Gid, Molly and Johnny’s story is worth reading for almost any reader. Whether you like romance, westerns, Texas literature or literary fiction you will enjoy this book, as it excels in all these genres.
Susie

A Fred Dale Lending Library Book
As often happens, I found myself without a book and thus went to the shelves of the Fred Dale Lending Library - A love story mainly about 2 men who love Molly. Set in the early 1900's just a simple story with some great laughs, heartache, adventure, and love - decisions not made which ended up as decisions made. I really enjoyed this but I'm a big fan of McMurtry; probably like most things he's written.
Don
Sep 04, 2011 Don rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
If I found this book and knew nothing of McMurty's other work, I would have probably been more impressed. He'll cover the same themes and even use the same setting for his masterpiece, The Last Picture Show, a few years later. What's here is a very finely crafted portrait of three complex characters. What's not here, mostly, is the humor and dialog that McMurtry can now pull off in his sleep.
Jeff Dumas
A tale told from three perspectives and three different periods of life of the three main characters, Gid, Mabel, and Johnny. I enjoyed this book very much. It makes you consider how different different people approach life and what they consider important and meaningful. I also made me think of how peoples choices during their youth steer the rest of their lives. I recommend it.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Smiling Country
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Fencing the Sky: A Novel
  • Two For Texas
  • A Sudden Country
  • Wildfire
  • Empires, Nations, and Families: A History of the North American West, 1800-1860
  • The Gates of the Alamo
  • Montana! (Wagons West, #10)
  • Lasso the Wind: Away to the New West
  • Schrödinger's Cat 3: The Homing Pigeons
  • Gunfighter Nation: The Myth of the Frontier in Twentieth-Century America
  • Dark Canyon
  • Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier
  • The Return of Little Big Man
  • The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard
  • In the Rogue Blood
Larry McMurtry is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two collections of essays, and more than thirty screenplays.

Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was
More about Larry McMurtry...
Lonesome Dove Terms of Endearment The Last Picture Show Streets of Laredo Comanche Moon

“But just let me tell you something, son, a woman's love is like the morning dew, it's just as apt to settle on a horse turd as it is on a rose. So you better just get over it.” 18 likes